How long?..

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only get mine above 5000 when I am passing, getting on the freeway or exiting from a curve. Mine likes to cruise between 3000-4000. Above 4500 is more for, uh, spirited riding.

Tim, I usually run around town 40-45 mph at 3k to 3500 rpm in 4th.
When I'm laid back cruising in no hurry I might put it in 5th just to give my ears a break but when accelerating I'd drop down into 4th or 3rd.
I find under light acceleration I can run at lower rpms, faster accel I have to get the rpms up higher.
Whatever your comfortable with is what you should do.

With my new to me '83 engine, I cruise at 70 mph at 4000 rpm on the highway. But around here, ya have to get up to speed on the ramp before entering the highway at 65 mph or YOU WILL be RUN OVER! I wind out the gears and the engine up to 6500-7000 rpm without a moments notice and the bike just wants to higher.

My old '81 engine ran at higher rpms because it was in an '82 frame with '82 final drive and wheels (which are smaller than the '81). That same 70 mph would be at 5200 rpm. Before swapping my old '81 engine out, I would sometimes ride at traffic speed with the other vehicles around 78 mph and 5800 rpm and the engine never complained. As a matter of fact, it smoothed right out.

dan filipi":3kblooxh said:
Tim, I usually run around town 40-45 mph at 3k to 3500 rpm in 4th.
When I'm laid back cruising in no hurry I might put it in 5th just to give my ears a break but when accelerating I'd drop down into 4th or 3rd.
I find under light acceleration I can run at lower rpms, faster accel I have to get the rpms up higher.
Whatever your comfortable with is what you should do.

Okay, thanks -- that pretty much matches my experience so far.

mcgovern61":3kblooxh said:
With my new to me '83 engine, I cruise at 70 mph at 4000 rpm on the highway....My old '81 engine ran at higher rpms because it was in an '82 frame with '82 final drive and wheels (which are smaller than the '81). That same 70 mph would be at 5200 rpm. Before swapping my old '81 engine out, I would sometimes ride at traffic speed with the other vehicles around 78 mph and 5800 rpm...

Ah, it's the final drive! I knew I'd read that the '83 had a different ratio somewhere relative to the 'overdrive' that lowered rpm, but the Goldwing comparison chart elsewhere on this site showed the transmission gears for the 1100 line all the same.
I get enough buffeting even at 75mph that I can't imagine I'm going to spend any significant time over 4000 rpm, then, unless I happen to be traveling the interstate on a perfectly calm day. Staying between 3000-4000, on the other hand, is much more easily achieved.

well not realy the differences is in the secondary primary final reduction raito the 80-81 are defferent than the 82 and 83 is little than the 82 i think and alone with some gearing differences findrive differences the 1000s are completly different and final drives also

best dragter set up is 80-81 motor with 1000 final drive

best touring set up 1000 motor with 80-81 final drive

the 80-81 actully have the best final drive for touring of all yrs including 1000s

the 1000s have best final for drag bike

the motors are exactly the opposit with secondary reduction from motor to trans 1000 best for touring 80-81 1100s best for drags

i modified my 79 1000 to the touring gears showing 3400 to 3500 rpm at 70mph range when before it showed 4200 at 70 mph :heat:

Remember that you have an 83,with a bit taller gear ratio than earlier years.
I to have an 83 and also ride conservativly,but do wind her up a bit if I need to pass or merge into traffic.I do have to wacth my speed on the 2 lanes,the bike runs best and smoothest at 70 mph,almost always returns to it everytime Im not wacthing.

Yes. That's why I prefer quiet exhaust. My motorcycle experience from a long time ago involved mostly Harley's and Triumph's. Keeping the rpm's way up in the Goldwings comfort zone took some real getting used to. Just use the tach and find the right gear. Before you know it, the sound and feel will become primary and the tach secondary. Stop worrying about what other people think. Especially if they're not on a Goldwing.

If the stock windshield isn't giving you enough wind protection switch to a rap around shield with the arms that extend about halfway down the sides, they are like riding in a convertible with the windows up.

This is the one I'm referring to.
100_0649.jpg

fastmover83":1fxl9cec said:
This is the one I'm referring to.
100_0649.jpg

I like that windshield, and am planning to replace mine anyway, because it has an impurity in the plexiglass that, frankly, I never would have accepted or mounted on the bike. Of course, it also happens to be in such a spot that I can't adjust it out of my vision without sliding over on the seat.
Anyhow, who makes the one you're showing?

My bike originally had a wrap around windshield that I have not been able to locate again. It was a Vetter wrap around. Unfortunately, after being out in the sun for 12 years, it yellowed and cracked beyong repair. I would love to find one again.

Attachments

• 1982-1.JPG
    1982-1.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 1982-3.JPG
    1982-3.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 113
It's a Markland, You can buy a similar one on ebay, I think they are made by SlipStreamer, but you want to read the notice on height because they are generally about 4" inches taller then stock, so the standards are tall and the tall's are really tall. I always like to put the little side wings that WC Whitney sells for the GoldWings on the Windjammers they do a good job of air control and look pretty good too. mcgoveren61, I would try buffing that shield out you might be able to save it.

fastmover83":3ehf93ng said:
It's a Markland, You can buy a similar one on ebay, I think they are made by SlipStreamer, but you want to read the notice on height because they are generally about 4" inches taller then stock, so the standards are tall and the tall's are really tall. I always like to put the little side wings that WC Whitney sells for the GoldWings on the Windjammers they do a good job of air control and look pretty good too. mcgoveren61, I would try buffing that shield out you might be able to save it.

We tried to buff it out, but the plastic was cracked all over the place from the sun. So this was a Markland windshield? I haven't seen one any where else yet.

Hang in there. I too had a rough time transitioning to my 1100I after 10yrs away. Prior to that I had lightweight crotchrockets (God has forgiven me of that). The hardest part for me was the starts & stops as well as remembering to make sure the kickstand was down prior to exiting. I dont remember having to run the revs high on her. Higher, yes but not crazy high. Im 6 foot and have boads on mine. She is fully dressed. I wouldnt change a thing about her. I encourage you to break each other in. It will all work out.

I hear ya hack, I don't like to ride fast either. 65Mph is the max for my personal enjoyment, after that I wonder why I'm riding a cruiser. One day though I was trapped behind slow traffic and when it cleared I really opened her up(viewtopic.php?f=7&t=377), but I haven't done anything like that since she' too precious to me to blow up going fast.

You shouldn't have to run around in the wrong gear(this is bad for the bike) to keep rpms up. What do you mean by "abominable lugging?"

Oh yeah handling...I recently replace a miss matched set of tires for new Dunlops, and that made a world of difference. I can move her around like a 80cc scooter now. Like Dan or one of the others noted, if she tilts just let her down easy, you can hurt yourself trying to prevent her going over.

~O~

Again, thanks, all, for your replies -- they have lent moral support and practical suggestions, which I've tried to put to good use.
I've now accumulated over 1,000 miles on what I call the "'OldWing". And, things HAVE steadily gotten better.
I still don't really like the low-rev, engine rattle that many call 'normal' -- I may yet try the clutch-cable fix/adjustment mentioned here elsewhere -- but I've minimized it by a variety of other means suggested by some of you. And, I've consciously tried to 'under-gear ' my momentum in order to eliminate, as much as possible, 'lugging' the engine below 2,500 rpm or so. For example, I rarely shift to 5th/overdrive now till I've gotten onto steady, long-range highway conditions -- even though it's cost me c. 10% mpg, which still hovers around 42 miles per gallon.
Starting and stopping have gotten better -- but, frankly, there are limitations to how smoothly I'm physically capable of stopping or starting a 1,000-pound-plus (with rider, or two!) machine with grace and aplomb! It might take a new(er) bike to eliminate all drama. I suspect finding a way to solve the aforementioned, 'normal' engine-rattle noise and 'lugging' would go a long way toward making starting and stopping routine, but I haven't figured either out yet :builder:. And, no, I'm not willing to accept that 'normal' engine rattle is normal, even in an old bike. Sorry. Something's not right, or it wouldn't sound like that!
Still, the overall performance seems sound enough to trust it for moderate purposes. I'm neither sure that this bike would, or would not, survive a cross-country trip, for example. But, I don't have much concern about the next 50 miles on a daily basis, and assume that something will clue me to be concerned if I need be.
So, I'll keep changing the oil and other fluids every 1,000-1,500 miles or so (even it that's overkill!), and swap plugs every new riding season (even though I've added ones that ought to be sound longer than that). Whatever else presents itself will be judged by its criticality. Someday, I'm sure, I'll just decide it's time for new motorcycle!
My biggest, immediate concern is convincing my occasional riding partner that she suffers no real danger from the bike falling over onto its engine and luggage guards -- as it is wont to do occasionally, when circumstances conspire to make 1,300 pound or so of machine and human too much for my left leg to keep erect. :shock: I'm open to suggestion... :?

Latest posts