If I EVER meet this "Murphy" guy....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So....continuing the saga of the Burban revival. Engine has been back together for a while, but still had problems getting it to idle right. Finally did get the valves adjusted tho. Then I moved on to trying to fix the rear A/C blower motor. Turns out it had broken loose from it's mounting, and was dragging the squirrel cage on the housing. Fixed all that, put it all back together, and....dang thing pops the fuse every time I turn the rear blower on. :sensored:
That was several weeks ago, but last weekend, I tested fuel pressure, and found, as expected, that the fuel pump isn't running every time, and when it does, I'm only getting 4-5 psi....need at least 11psi. So it needs a new pump...joy joy joy. :nea: Moved on to re-doing the rear blower motor, but dint find what was causing the fuse to blow. In the past, I had troubles with the A/C not working all the time...it was erratic. I had run a jumper wire from one of the "Batt" terminals in the fusebox to the "A/C fuse, and it would work....but it was melting the fuse. Anyway, after it blowing the fuse, I decided to rip into the wiring and find the problem. Went thru the entire wiring harness on this turd, including pulling the fusebox out. What I found was there was one leg on the fusebox that was completely dead...no power at all. That leg powered the power windows, power door locks, power seat, and the A/C. Hmmmm...I could power it up from behind with my Power Probe, and everything would work. Further digging found that the dang ignition switch was melted. :head bang: Down comes the column, and in goes a new switch.....problem solved. So what WAS blowing the fuse? Remember the jumper wire I mentioned earlier? I had left it loose, and it was shorting out on the floor of the truck(I had the carpet pulled back while tracing the wiring). :Doh2:

So...today, I delved into pulling the fuel tank to replace the pump. Not an easy task to start with, but with the truck on an incline, not exactly safe to jack it up. Matco man suggested using ramps, and let the truck roll back on them. Never thought of that, but then again, I dint have any ramps, either. Went and bought a set today, tho, along with a new fuel pump and strainer/sock. Now then...the truck won't start because the fuel pump is messed up, and the dang truck wouldn't just roll right up on the ramps....stopped right on the tips of them. Had to get Mama out there, and had her spray fuel(with a spray bottle) down the intake enough to keep it running, while I cranked it, and put it in reverse to get it up on the ramps. 20 minutes later, it's in the air. :mrgreen:

Got the tank out, got the new pump in it, and will put the tank back in tomorrow. First, tho, I'm guna put the new pump to work pumping out all of the fuel that's IN the tank now. 40 gallon tank...little less than 1/2 full....dang thing is HEAVY!! Should be a little easier to handle empty. Once the tank is back in, the thing should start and run well enough to drive.....unless something else takes a dump before then. I need to get it running, not only to get the state inspection, but....I have a feeling I'll be needing it to pull my trailer soon....

Oh yeah...I forgot the most funnest part...I had been fighting these dang red wasps every time I worked on this truck....today, I finally FOUND the nest....SURPRISE!!!

Truck2.jpg

I feel your pain Joel as I have been working on the 2 Falcon utes in between jobs. I am using the XLS ( the one I am going to sell) at the moment to run around in with all my tools so that I can empty my Forester and give it to the wife to drive while I fix her car. I have had a new center diff waiting for me to install it in her Diesel Forester before her current one fails totally ( at the moment it works more like a locker, making slow turns difficult). I have been fixing all the things that have been faulty for a while and contributed to their low trade in value and me being able to pick them up at a good price. As I am keeping the RTV I am keeping the best bits for it so that often means doing the same job twice. Luckily being an 11 year old Ford parts are relatively easily to come across at the right price. I picked up a really nice ICC unit ( CD player, digital display and HIVAC controls) to replace the faulty one in the XLS but that meant the old one in the RTV wound up in the XLS. Changing these units requires a scan tool to sink them to the canbus network and get them operating correctly. Both drivers door mirrors have been gaffer taped and screwed together where they have been damaged, the Central locking was faulty on the XLS so it received a new door actuator motor. I picked up an upmarket instrument cluster (XR), some free seats, airbag with cruise control and wiring, combination switch, free seats, and power window switch for the RTV.

EEEETZ ALIVE!! :clapping:
Tank back in, few gal of fuel, and "Vrrrrooooom"!!! Fired right up and idles poifectly. Ran it down to the station to put fuel in it....$50 for 20 gallons.....barely 1/2 tank. :heat: NOW I remember why I quit driving this monster...(besides the running on 7 cylinders thing). Should get much better mileage now that it is hitting on all 8, anyway.
Now all I gotsta do is get one of the tires off me trailer, and put a new valvestem in it....then I'll have everything ready for my exodus from this cluster f of a shop......new folks are dumber than a box full of left handed metric hammers.... :Doh2: :builder:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154707#p154707:3iim8fce said:
AApple » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:46 am[/url]":3iim8fce]
EEEETZ ALIVE!! :clapping:
Tank back in, few gal of fuel, and "Vrrrrooooom"!!! Fired right up and idles poifectly. Ran it down to the station to put fuel in it....$50 for 20 gallons.....barely 1/2 tank. :heat: NOW I remember why I quit driving this monster...(besides the running on 7 cylinders thing). Should get much better mileage now that it is hitting on all 8, anyway.
Now all I gotsta do is get one of the tires off me trailer, and put a new valvestem in it....then I'll have everything ready for my exodus from this cluster f of a shop......new folks are dumber than a box full of left handed metric hammers.... :Doh2: :builder:

Sounds like the place I work in. :hihihi:

Latest posts