Introduction

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grubygust

Reaction score
Hi: This be my first post although I have been a member for a while - since about a year ago, the time an 81 Interstate with an EML hack took up residence in the garage. Now I am beginning to refurbish the rig - I would post a few photos but haven't figured out the how to's yet and apparently can't post links to my site yet.

Basics are: a white 81 Interstate with matching EML hack, extra 10 gallon fuel tank, enough hiway lights to light up my life with an auto generator to power them and auto tyres with appropriate wheels.

Right now am having some 'lectrical frustrations and need to check wiring to headlight but cannot figure out how to get to wiring without taking fairing off - beginning to think may have to do just that.

Any and all ideas/suggestions would be most welcome.

Gust

Welcome aboard.I too was hesitant to take the fairing but it really isn't that hard. However to check the headlight wiring you can remove the headlight by removing the set screw from the headlight adjustment screw and backing it out.

WOW!! What a quick response - many thanks!!! Also, I have a Clymers which does not mention fairing removal, etc. do you have a "favorite" manual you would recommend?

So asks gust from invigorating Wisconsin as he picks your brain.

Welcome to the CGW Forums, grubygust!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Hey Gust! This is Brian from New Mexico...I am sure you remember my crazy little cow dog, Dina....and I ride a GL1100/Ural.....I met you on a Butterfly rally and then a number of times later including a SKUNK rally and the USCA National in Duluth....

So...big welcome from me and you have come to a great group of riders here at Classic. Even a few hacksters.

Great rig it sounds like you have...I have wanted an Wing or Kbike/EML forever....

Brian

Welcome agaim from central Calif. Need to know what faring you have. If it is the Hondaline see removal/installation instructions in ClYMER M340 page266 fig 204,205,206 and diagram207. You can get to tutorials and manuals after Posting 5 times. If you look under the right and left side of the faring you will see 2 nuts on each side holding the faring to the bracket assy and oroound the lower front edge there are 4 bolts there these all have to be removed and the electrical plug on the left inner side has to be disconnected also the green ground wire. I hope this helps.

Of course I remember Dina and even you too Brian - you are the one on 2 legs without a tail. Kinda lost track of people and places for awhile but have wondered if Butterfly still roves around the south west every spring

gust who agrees with Teddy:

"The ordinary traveler, who never goes off the beaten route and who on this beaten route is carried by others, without himself doing anything or risking anything, does not need to show much more initiative and intelligence than an express package." - Theodore Roosevelt, 1912.

bk2valve":1buyu2q5 said:
Hey Gust! This is Brian from New Mexico...I am sure you remember my crazy little cow dog, Dina....and I ride a GL1100/Ural.....I met you on a Butterfly rally and then a number of times later including a SKUNK rally and the USCA National in Duluth....

Brian

Thanks for the info Bob. Given a bunch of wiring by previous owners I guess I better learn what was "normal" in the beginning. Will have to find what kind of faring it is among other things.

'Nother question: In left side of faring there was a radio, which I took out and started my light problems - behind where the radio was a jumbled mass of wires, some with fuses - is this "normal" or is it "previous owner wiring"? This jumble and fuses are in addition to the standard fuse block and in radio removal I lost headlight and left turn signals so figure I cut or jiggled something I shouldn't have and now wonder why I didn't leave well enough alone. :head bang:

gust

It is almost impossible to carry the torch of wisdom through a crowd without singeing someone’s beard. Lichtenberg (1742-1799)

toytender01":3l97rqbs said:
Welcome agaim from central Calif. Need to know what faring you have. If it is the Hondaline see removal/installation instructions in ClYMER M340 page266 fig 204,205,206 and diagram207. You can get to tutorials and manuals after Posting 5 times. If you look under the right and left side of the faring you will see 2 nuts on each side holding the faring to the bracket assy and oroound the lower front edge there are 4 bolts there these all have to be removed and the electrical plug on the left inner side has to be disconnected also the green ground wire. I hope this helps.

Of course I remember Dina and even you too Brian - you are the one on 2 legs without a tail. Kinda lost track of people and places for awhile but have wondered if Butterfly still roves around the south west every spring

Yep that was me for sure.... :wave:

Still no tail too...

No on the Butterfly....it morphed into a smaller and less regular "Ye Olde Phartz Ride" mostly just with the Olde Phartz of New Mexico.

So does the Goldwing/EML outfit mean the excellent rig with the cuphangers and coathooks, etc. is retired to the back of the garage?

Be well,
Brian

toytender01":15crt5br said:
You can get to tutorials and manuals after Posting 5 times. .

Well I think this may be my 5th posting so I will THANK ALL for the very warm welcome and once eligible search the information available and also put up a link to some pictures of my rig.

gust

Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections must first be overcome.
- Samuel Johnson

hello everyone, from Northwestern Vermont, Just came in possession of two older wings, being 75 and 76 GL1000's, Looking to restore over time, hope to pick up some pointers here, not the most mechanical but time for now isn't a factor...Ron

Is it a reasonable expectation to want to hear the engine run before putting a lot of money into full restoration?
or do we just assume that it will run, just a matter of time and patience.. where is the most reasonable place to start, i am afraid this might become overwhelming.
Ron

robinhood2000":1na3kay2 said:
Is it a reasonable expectation to want to hear the engine run before putting a lot of money into full restoration?
or do we just assume that it will run, just a matter of time and patience.. where is the most reasonable place to start, i am afraid this might become overwhelming.
Ron

Personally I would get it running first if just to raise my interest in stripping it down.

thanks,,, being a backroom restoration project,, its most likely going to take a lot of encouragement...thanks in advance for all the good advice
Ron

Latest posts