Just won a 83-I Slight fixer upper on ebay

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAndrew

Reaction score
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWNX:IT

its 130 miles away tho :fiddle:
I won it for $960 and all it should need is a starter... Hopefully :beg:

I plan if that's all is wrong with it and everything else is in good working order, I'll ride it to Daytona for bike week, Which is only 65 miles from where i live

Due to a problem with one of my carbs I cant take my bike this year. I plan on riding this bike till i can fix all the little problems with mine and possibly sell this new one after and make a few hundred $$$ profit :mrgreen:

Or i just may end up keeping her :Egyptian:

Looks good Andrew!

Uh just so you know front and rear air shocks and removable trunk are standard on the 83 models, he's
stating it like it's a add on custom feature.

The starter clutch problem could be as easy as running it with thinner oil or doing a flush.

dan filipi":3i0sriwd said:
Looks good Andrew!

Uh just so you know front and rear air shocks and removable trunk are standard on the 83 models, he's
stating it like it's a add on custom feature.

The starter clutch problem could be as easy as running it with thinner oil or doing a flush.

He also claims it gets 50+ Mpg :roll:
Running it with thinner oil or doing a flush? The oil that runs thru the engine also goes thru the starter?

No not thru the starter but it does get around the starter clutch which is inside the engine.
The clutch is what he says the problem is.

Sometimes if I run 10-40 or 20-50 oil the starter clutch will spin free without engaging.
It spins right every time on 10-30.

Hopefully that fixes it cuz clutch replacement is a engine out job.

dan filipi":1laqmu7e said:
Hopefully that fixes it cuz clutch replacement is a engine out job.

Oh no don't tell me that :head bang:
i had no idea you had to take the engine out to replace the starter clutch :doh:
So replacing the starter vs replacing the starter clutch is 2 different jobs? can you replace the starter without taking out the engine?

Looks like a good deal, Andrew! Hopefully an oil change will fix the problem, as Dan says. That would be too easy, no?
Congrats, anyway!

I've always wondered why folks say they "Won" something on fleabay...how the heck is it wining if you have to PAY for it? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

BigAndrew":2ldbtrpy said:
:beg: :beg: :beg: Please... Don't let the problem be the clutch :beg: :beg: :beg:

:mrgreen:

eBay ad":2ldbtrpy said:
...The bike has starter issues the rollers behind the magnetio are cloged I tried to fie it but got wrong part off of e-bay and do not want to take it apart again...
The P.O. has already been in there. Now how good was he at putting it back together.....correctly! :builder: :doh:

Many oils today are not motorcycle friendly. It might be as simple a fix as run the motor with a quart of ATF in the oil and change oil and filter. I'd try that first.

dan filipi":14qwtjrp said:
When are you picking it up?

Not sure, maybe tomorrow... i haven't called the guy yet, I'm not paying for it till i look it over and test ride it

AApple":14qwtjrp said:
I've always wondered why folks say they "Won" something on fleabay...how the heck is it wining if you have to PAY for it? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Well, Your right in a way... You don't win the item, The action is what you win :salute:

roncar":14qwtjrp said:
eBay ad":14qwtjrp said:
...The bike has starter issues the rollers behind the magnetio are cloged I tried to fie it but got wrong part off of e-bay and do not want to take it apart again...
The P.O. has already been in there. Now how good was he at putting it back together.....correctly! :builder: :doh:

True... Hopefully he did a decent job, Im going to look it over real good before i give him the money, and i'll make sure to hit the starter button, I'll want to hear somethin

slabghost":14qwtjrp said:
Many oils today are not motorcycle friendly. It might be as simple a fix as run the motor with a quart of ATF in the oil and change oil and filter. I'd try that first.
True... Good idea, I think ill try that after i get it home, That and maybe some kind of crank case cleaner/treatment like seafoam or STP

What all should i look for when i take a look at the bike, i know to check for fluid leaks, as in the oil and forks and such, How well it idles, throttle response, brakes, tires, rust in the gas tank... That's all i can think of right off the top of my head... What else?

andrew if its like he said and it runs good when push started...and rides it all the time and gets fifty mpg its got to have a good motor but i question that figure but anything close to that is great .....i would say its must be pretty dirty in there the motor i mean .....well you knew it was a fixer upper so it was a gamble on weather it would replace the 82 right away.....i think its a nice looking bike in the pics ....i like the 83I ...mine is geared just right for touring and has a good first gear too for taking off congrats to you .....i think you made a great purchase..... :mrgreen:

Congrats!! :clapping: :clapping:

Take notice that it has Jardine Exhaust pipes. Be sure that it has both hangers attached correctly and check to be sure the rear brake pedal adjustment arm is not touching the muffler pipe (have to look underneath) The Jardines do not have the cutout that stock exhaust have and tend to catch the adjuster causing the rear brake to hang.

Above all, if you do decide to finalize the deal, make sure the Title matches the VIN on the bike.... :head bang: Check the lights, and most impotant, if it has a stereo, make sure that works! :mrgreen:
Get some pics, too! :good:

mcgovern61":2pe9ugsf said:
Congrats!! :clapping: :clapping:

Take notice that it has Jardine Exhaust pipes. Be sure that it has both hangers attached correctly and check to be sure the rear brake pedal adjustment arm is not touching the muffler pipe (have to look underneath) The Jardines do not have the cutout that stock exhaust have and tend to catch the adjuster causing the rear brake to hang.

Will do... Thanks Gerry

dan filipi":2pe9ugsf said:
For under a grand it sounds like a decent deal unless the paint is bad and things have been buggered up.

Well if the paint ends up being not as good as it looks, Ill just offer him less money and ill paint it to match my '82 :mrgreen:

AApple":2pe9ugsf said:
Above all, if you do decide to finalize the deal, make sure the Title matches the VIN on the bike.... :head bang: Check the lights, and most impotant, if it has a stereo, make sure that works! :mrgreen:
Get some pics, too! :good:

Thanks, Yea... Must check the VIN numbers, That would be a nightmare if i got it home and they didn't match
And the stereo MUST work :rtfm: Got to have my tunes :music2: :music: :music2: :rocks:

chasrogers":2pe9ugsf said:
Ok I guess we should stop tire kicking :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: we dont want to make him nervise or parinoid :beg: :headscratch: :headscratch: :head bang: :beg: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I don't know if i want to go thru with this... What if it's a lemon... i don't want to waste my money... What if? :smilie_happy:

Make sure he signs the title in the correct spot or line and check dates, some states require the title or transaction to be notorized.. Yes, check the miles on the bike and the title if it has it listed on the front, + 2 on the Vin.#.. Nice bike under a grand, it's worth it even if the starter clutch is jacked up, look you have all these guys just waiting to help you...Experienced guy's, guy's that have done this many times [Not me] :grin: and I know for fact they will help you, You bought it already you won it and go get that sucker, even if the turn signals don't come on.. :grin: You still got a good deal..

Latest posts