Just won a 83-I Slight fixer upper on ebay

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
littlebeaver":mco1dmjz said:
Make sure he signs the title in the correct spot or line and check dates, some states require the title or transaction to be notorized.. Yes, check the miles on the bike and the title if it has it listed on the front, + 2 on the Vin.#.. Nice bike under a grand, it's worth it even if the starter clutch is jacked up, look you have all these guys just waiting to help you...Experienced guy's, guy's that have done this many times [Not me] :grin: and I know for fact they will help you, You bought it already you won it and go get that sucker, even if the turn signals don't come on.. :grin: You still got a good deal..
Yep! What he said! :good:

slabghost":2wniliy4 said:
littlebeaver":2wniliy4 said:
Make sure he signs the title in the correct spot or line and check dates, some states require the title or transaction to be notorized.. Yes, check the miles on the bike and the title if it has it listed on the front, + 2 on the Vin.#.. Nice bike under a grand, it's worth it even if the starter clutch is jacked up, look you have all these guys just waiting to help you...Experienced guy's, guy's that have done this many times [Not me] :grin: and I know for fact they will help you, You bought it already you won it and go get that sucker, even if the turn signals don't come on.. :grin: You still got a good deal..
Yep! What he said! :good:
Big Andrew, I'm sure this isn't your first Rodeo, sorry I'm not telling you how to do stuff .. It's just that I have lived in 7 states and each one is a little different and sometimes a real pain.... :grin:

I got it :mrgreen: Its way past my bed time to give a detailed message about it, Tomorrow's another day and i got to work :lazy:

Thanks for the heads up but my mom is a manager for a tag office so i know all about the title work, Here in florida you dont have to put the miles if its older then 10 years and you dont have to get it notarized... Thank God

It'll be dark tomorrow by the time i get home from work so i wont be able to take pictures till firday or saturday
after work tomorrow i tell u guys all about the whole ordeal,
Till then have a good one... :salute:

Just got home, Too tired to write a full statement but ill tell you guyz this... He said the problem is with the stator rotor

He bought a used one to replace it and found out that it was the wrong one after he pulled the motor outta the bike
i see a few, very clean, nice looking used stator rotors on flea bay for $20+$12 to ship... Not too bad

Paint isn't no where near as good as it looked in the pictures but it runs and rides great! And sounds really good with those aftermarket pipes

Thanks Ron :salute:

I think while i have the engine out to go ahead and replace the starter clutch and like Randakk says, The little roller things, the springs and follower thingies too, Since that's what the P.O. says is the problem, He said that those were so full of gunk and thats what was causing it to not engage
And while im at it i might replace the stator with one of those new ones on ebay thats supposed to put out 20% more juice

Do you guys think that might be a bad thing to put in a stator that puts out more power? Like maybe it could fry something over time?

Also do you guys know any places that sell new starter clutches? I tried a quick look on flea bay and google search and didnt come up with anything

Something I have done in the past with gunked up engines. Warm the engine, drop the oil, replace with 3 parts clear kerosene and 1 part motor oil and run warm at idle for at least 10 minutes. Drop the kero/oil mix while cranking the engine (gets more stuff out). Add fresh oil to fill mark, run warm and put about 50-100 miles and then drop the oil and put fresh in again with a new filter. I did this on a Chrysler slant 6 and my old 86' Suburu DL with the boxer engine and I was amazed at how much the kero cut and cleaned the parts. Put 188K on the Chrysler and 194K on the Suburu before selling them.

BigAndrew":26g5eu5f said:
Also do you guys know any places that sell new starter clutches? I tried a quick look on flea bay and google search and didnt come up with anything
Honda, Bike Bandit, MRcycle, Cresent moon cycles.
starter clutch.jpg

That's Honda, Bike Bandit is the same price. MRcycle totals $52.53. Crecent Moon has a starter clutch kit for $40 but the picture doesn't show the springs???

mcgovern61":gmxbw6va said:
Something I have done in the past with gunked up engines. Warm the engine, drop the oil, replace with 3 parts clear kerosene and 1 part motor oil and run warm at idle for at least 10 minutes. Drop the kero/oil mix while cranking the engine (gets more stuff out). Add fresh oil to fill mark, run warm and put about 50-100 miles and then drop the oil and put fresh in again with a new filter. I did this on a Chrysler slant 6 and my old 86' Suburu DL with the boxer engine and I was amazed at how much the kero cut and cleaned the parts. Put 188K on the Chrysler and 194K on the Suburu before selling them.
Much safer and as effective is to substitute ATF for half the oil fill for really gunked motors. Thereafter add 1/2 qt of ATF every other oil change.

Thanks Gerry and Slabghost :salute: I'll have to try both tricks, With that much kerosene in there i'll make sure to put a good size fan in front of the bike to keep it from over heating, i wonder if diesel fuel will work just as well, its cheaper and easier to get
Hopefully there's nothing wrong with the clutch and the only problem is with the dirty stator rotor thingie causing the starter to not engage, i read that part of the engine see's very little to no oil... The P.O. said that it was all gumed up in there and he cleaned it out the best he could before putting it back together

roncar":11a77tq1 said:
Honda, Bike Bandit, MRcycle, Cresent moon cycles.

That's Honda, Bike Bandit is the same price. MRcycle totals $52.53. Crecent Moon has a starter clutch kit for $40 but the picture doesn't show the springs???

Thanks Ron :salute: I'm sure a rebuild kit will be fine unless its pretty hard to do or if a new one isn't that much more, i'll just go ahead and get a new one

Big A just a heads up for the future.....If you have to chance the front tire...You have to remove the left caliper and mount to get the tire on and off..I found this out yesterday while helping a friend replace his fork seals... you have to role the tire in then move the tire around to get the left caliper mount back into position then you can mount the tire then the caliper... I diden't see it come apart so I had to read the book, being the owner of the 80 and 82 I was lost without it...the front wheel and the back wheel are just as much trouble.....BUT a M/C jack helps a lot...your deal sounds great even if you have to do some work....I am hoping to work a deal on this 83 if and when my friend is ready to sell...all i have to do is sell the 80 to finance part of it...How was the ride home????? PIX??? Bob

toytender01":ld9awu4f said:
Big A just a heads up for the future.....If you have to chance the front tire...You have to remove the left caliper and mount to get the tire on and off..I found this out yesterday while helping a friend replace his fork seals... you have to role the tire in then move the tire around to get the left caliper mount back into position then you can mount the tire then the caliper... I diden't see it come apart so I had to read the book, being the owner of the 80 and 82 I was lost without it...the front wheel and the back wheel are just as much trouble.....BUT a M/C jack helps a lot...your deal sounds great even if you have to do some work....I am hoping to work a deal on this 83 if and when my friend is ready to sell...all i have to do is sell the 80 to finance part of it...How was the ride home????? PIX??? Bob

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't ride her home... i trailered her all the way home like a queen :smilie_happy:

No pix yet, Been working every day since, Todays my early day. I get out of work at 4pm so i might be able to take some pics after work. If not then i will on monday since its my day off

I'm waiting to see how this turns out. It's like "to be continued". Hope it has a happy ending. Well, the more ya do the less you'll have to worry about. But.....the more you do, the less riding time. A lot of good ideas out there for you.
Now, heres to a happy ending :salute: