JustBill's '83 Aspencade Restoration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yhis a common thing ...alot of people have trouble getting the belts tansion right ...... :Doh2: the proper procedeger is ....once you the belt time right the motor need to be to the nuetral possition ...where there is no tension from the valve springs working on the cam ...cam is free...this is where you can get the spring tensioner to tension belt right ...the spring in the belt tensioners is way smaller than valve springs and cant fight that to put proper tension on :mrgreen:

its seems half the oldwing motors are this way ...with right side belt way loose....seems like about 25% of the time th timing is one tooth off ....

with the belts looking like that ...is a sure sign its been changed before...

changing belts is dangerous to the health of a health oldwing go slow ask many good and stupid question ...to make sure you dont mess up ....post things your going to do so it can address before something gose wrong....good luck ....it dont take much to jar timing off on the side with loose belt and trash a motor cause the belt was put on wrong :mrgreen:

Hi,

It's been a crazy busy week, wash machine repair, sun. had a muffler come off a car, mon. had some brake work to do on another car, and the tranny went out on my van. When it rains it pours! I did get the wash machine fixed last night finally too!

On the Aspy, I did manage to get the new timing belts installed, radiator cleaned and re-installed, and the gas tank is cleaned up and ready to install! For the gas tank I used a half a bottle of BB's and acetone and shook it around in all directions. I drained and repeated 6 times! after the 5th time the acetone came out as clean as it went in! Then I made sure all the bb's came out and poured in a pint of MM Oil and coated it real well.

I did start going throught he wiring on the Wing, I have a question. It has extra driving lights on the front, I think the relay is bad. I am going to re-wire them. Do you normally wire the driving lights so they only come on with the high beam? That is how they currently are, but if you don't have the driving light switch on, the high beam doesn't work.

I have my driving lights connected to a separate switch so they're on all the time or when I want them on or off.
Connected to the high beams is a good idea I guess but I like more control.

I'm still working on wiring! Every accessory wire was either scotch locked or wires twisted together and taped! Does anyone have any suggestions about the regular tail light not working? It's the "brown wire" under the seat I know. There is a 5 amp fuse (Labeled Tail Light) in the fuse block. The supply side for that fuse is dead, any idea where that comes from?

Also, my turn signals are acting a bit funny. It seems to take a few minutes of being on before they start working. Could that be the contacts in the thumb switch?

Hey Bill
I have an 83 Aspencade I am parting out - if you think it might help I can take out the wire harness ($20 plus shipping)

Thanks for the offer 1060. I will let you know.

The tail light issue is in the key switch contacts. If you wiggle the key just right it works! Now, I need to figure out the turn signals! I picked up a new flasher but got a 2 prong, guess I need 3!

Here's a pic of my valve covers. Are these OEM or aftermarket? I haven't seen any others like them yet!

Well, I got the Aspencade out for it's first ride today! Everything went pretty well except for the front fork seals are leaking, I have new seals and will have to put them in. I rode to a Honda dealer to get some fork oil. I am going to try the 20wt. Is that the best choice?

Also, it ran pretty well at low throttle, but stumbled a bit at full throttle. Is this related to carb issues?

Hi, I am working on the front fork seals. I have the left side apart and back together. How much oil goes into these?

In the manual section I found that an '82 calls for 9.8oz. Is that the same for the '83?

The new fork seals are great! Went for a ride yesterday and it rode like a new bike! Now it looks like I will need to do the rear shocks as well! They are leaking also.

Does anyone know if it is possible to add a MP3 input to the Clarion radio?