Littlebeaver's Experiment [lowers]

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my case, I wanted to get my engine temps down....period. In the summer around here, 110 degree ambient temps are the norm. Anything to get more air into the radiator while moving is helpful in lowering operating temps. In traffic, the gauge on mine can get quite high....with these "mods", it cools back off much quicker once I get moving again. On the standard Goldwings, they had a set of deflectors installed on either side of the radiator to do the same thing....on dressed bikes, with Honda fairings, the lowers accomplish the same thing as the standard deflectors. So, apparently, even Honda thought they needed a little extra help. What Beav and I are doing is seeing if we can improve on the concept any more. And yes, cooler engine temps do help with internal wear....keeps the oil cooler, etc. It's all good! :good:

I think it would be nice if once rolling the fan would kick off faster don't you? I mean it will kick off sooner or later but with a little more air flow it should kick off sooner, electric is not an issue I have an exterior alt. with 55 amps of power.. If you find your fan running alot in the summer and not kicking off, then you have an opinion now, it's not going to cost you much if anything, at all try it with 1/4" plywood first to see if it works for you, play with it..I just drilled a few holes into a few pieces of flat stock and I was good to go..

Maybe I will add an extra fan to the Front a "pusher fan" so that I can keep the temperature down. In extreme heat i did notice when we had the 119 real feel here in GA about a month ago my fan kicked on with in seconds of start up, after sitting all day in the sun. I figured that moving was a good idea, since it was really kinda odd to hear it while just getting ready to go.

It's always good to keep the engine temps down as much as possible.
These engines are water cooled so during winter riding the thermostat will keep the coolant and engine temp at or above what it was designed for. Yes too cool isn't good either.

A pusher fan might actually hinder cooling when the fan isn't running because it will block air flow.
I think adding the pusher would be a bad idea especially with a stock stator.

Well it sounds like it's hotter in Georgia... :smilie_happy: But yeh man, if the fan is running all the freakin time it's going to have a toll on something, maybe your stator maybe the fan motor...

dan filipi":2z7y4mj6 said:
These engines are water cooled so during winter riding the thermostat will keep the coolant and engine temp at or above what it was designed for. Yes too cool isn't good either.

A pusher fan might actually hinder cooling when the fan isn't running because it will block air flow.

littlebeaver":2z7y4mj6 said:
Yeh, a pusher fan is what you need...I have seen many people use them..

Now, I arise at an impass. Both of you guys are on NGW from the user names. I have a Gallery there I am not worried about the stator. I dont have any fancy electronics on my bike to speak of. Please follow up and let me know.

Better a impass than a bypass :smilie_happy: just kidding Both of you guy's,,,,,,what am I under investigation now... :smilie_happy: Follow up with what? I all ready said it works...Silly willy....

Why yes Why yes it does...I really make a habit of that...I have wing nuts on it so I can remove them in hail storms...I bet I catch a few bugs though...

Well it's all about opinions and personal experience.
I installed the early metal radiator deflectors on my 1100 Innerstate and it runs much cooler over 40 mph.
This is free cooling simply by directing the air where it needs to go.
What I've seen of the 1200 deflectors they are sort of a joke really, marginal at best.

littlebeaver":j052rv2c said:
Why yes Why yes it does...I really make a habit of that...I have wing nuts on it so I can remove them in hail storms...I bet I catch a few bugs though...

I don't make a habit of it but I have had it happen, The weather is odd around the lake It was bright and shiny at home and before I made it to work I was being pelted by golf ball size hail...

Needless to say Id have much rathered the bugs!

Jvacustoms":1000d5u3 said:
dan filipi":1000d5u3 said:

littlebeaver":1000d5u3 said:

Now, I arise at an impass. Both of you guys are on NGW from the user names. I have a Gallery there I am not worried about the stator. I dont have any fancy electronics on my bike to speak of. Please follow up and let me know.
Uh follow up on what?

dan filipi":3e7o12c6 said:
Jvacustoms":3e7o12c6 said:

littlebeaver":3e7o12c6 said:

Uh follow up on what?
Nothing now you followed up with your previous post.

As seen below.

Well it's all about opinions and personal experience.
I installed the early metal radiator deflectors on my 1100 Innerstate and it runs much cooler over 40 mph.
This is free cooling simply by directing the air where it needs to go.
What I've seen of the 1200 deflectors they are sort of a joke really, marginal at best.

littlebeaver":1xy4dx7h said:
Hey JVACustoms we are funner over on this site, just saying.... :smilie_happy:

I'd agree with that but there are a lot of good aspects to both sites. I am a member of 4 sites total I just find my self a bit more shunned in the Goldwing sites as I don't like anything to look like the same thing someone else has. Hence the recreation of my Goldwing.
BTW, My intent wasn't to Hijack your post. Nice job on the creation. I was actually thinking about using the original deflectors for the windshield that I have sitting in my garage still covered in mud and grass from my father-in-laws unfortunate wreck. I would have rather ridden beside him than in honor of him. But they seem to be similar to your design. just not as big.

I might finagle something to make that work till i can afford a pusher fan.

Jv I was browsing your album at NGW. The fairing looks nice bro. Gauges too.

You aught to post up some of the highlights on your bike with pictures. Would make a nice show and tell.

Beav, I am sure you have seen the original Honda radiator deflectors? They essentially do what you are trying! When I got my '82, the originals were rusted through and I threw them away thining they were just chrome goodies gone bad. Little did I know they were OEM equipemnt on Standards and needed to keep the radiator working correctly. My fan does not come on when I am riding down the road, only in stop and go traffic.
Deflectors.JPG

(Oh, BTW, I have long since gotten rid of that fancy chrome rock guard that BLOCKS AIRFLOW and replaced it with a good old fashinioned OEM rock screen that works great!)

Well beav I see your at it again :blush: !! Neat idea and as always I like to impute my .02 :cool: ! I was thinking :Awe: would it be feasible to make it in a shape like this > , then you could still catch more air and deflect it too!! Just a thought :good: Later :good: :wave: Bob

Latest posts