Looking at buying newer wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok a few updates on my newer wing hunt . The 1200 while itruns and sounds good and the price is great I decided to pass on it would be a complete replace or repaint of all the plastics due to some poorly done work . I have found a gl1500a 95 that looks to be in good condition price is good only issue is it won't start but that will be fixed before I buy it they think the fuel pumps bad .. I have some pics will try to post latter... working hard at getting mbs lol

One side note . Since the 1500a is 2500 under the range my wife agreed to I tried to convince her that meant I could but the 1200 and 1500 and have enough left over to fix up the 1200 ... we can all guess how that worked out lol.... can't blame a guy for trying

Well, I know this may be blasphemy, so I will tread lightly. I love the Goldwing, great bikes, and I will never say a bad word against them, however, they are not the only great bike ever made. I was in the same situation as you, looking for a newer bike to replace my aging 1100. I looked and looked and found that a mid 90's wing in good shape would be $4000+ and an 1800 would be $10,000+. I wanted EFI, ABS, heated seats and heated grips. To get all of this I had to go 1800. By chance I happened find an ad for a BMW K1200LT. I had to go see one, they looked so cool. They made them from 1999-2009 with a change in the 2005 model year, very minor. I found that I could get a 99-02 for half the money of the same year 1800. So I went and rode one. HOLY CRAP, what a bike. Every feature I wanted plus some. So, I bought one. I got a Maroon 2000. 1200cc EFI, ABS, Electric windscreen, cruise control, heated seats and grips, goes like a rocket and handles like a sport bike, but very comfy.
I recently did my first Saddle Sore 1000 on this bike and when I got done, I was ready to ride some more. (it has a Russel Day Long and Hwy pegs)
So, for less money I got a great bike with more features, 50K miles and is a dream to ride. Oh Yea, I ride every day, 2 hours a day comuting, and I have yet to get less than 50 MPG. The 1500 just will not touch that and the 1800 get close, but rarely hit that number.
Like I said, Goldwings are a great great bike, I had one and was looking for another, but, they are not the only great bike. Take your time to look around and make sure you are getting the best bike for YOU. I rode a bunch of bikes before i settled on the BMW, I am glad I did, I am very happy.
What every you get, be sure to show it to us.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128050#p128050:3ngy87hd said:
oldmopars » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:03 pm[/url]"]
Well, I know this may be blasphemy, so I will tread lightly. I love the Goldwing, great bikes, and I will never say a bad word against them, however, they are not the only great bike ever made. I was in the same situation as you, looking for a newer bike to replace my aging 1100. I looked and looked and found that a mid 90's wing in good shape would be $4000+ and an 1800 would be $10,000+. I wanted EFI, ABS, heated seats and heated grips. To get all of this I had to go 1800. By chance I happened find an ad for a BMW K1200LT. I had to go see one, they looked so cool. They made them from 1999-2009 with a change in the 2005 model year, very minor. I found that I could get a 99-02 for half the money of the same year 1800. So I went and rode one. HOLY CRAP, what a bike. Every feature I wanted plus some. So, I bought one. I got a Maroon 2000. 1200cc EFI, ABS, Electric windscreen, cruise control, heated seats and grips, goes like a rocket and handles like a sport bike, but very comfy.
I recently did my first Saddle Sore 1000 on this bike and when I got done, I was ready to ride some more. (it has a Russel Day Long and Hwy pegs)
So, for less money I got a great bike with more features, 50K miles and is a dream to ride. Oh Yea, I ride every day, 2 hours a day comuting, and I have yet to get less than 50 MPG. The 1500 just will not touch that and the 1800 get close, but rarely hit that number.
Like I said, Goldwings are a great great bike, I had one and was looking for another, but, they are not the only great bike. Take your time to look around and make sure you are getting the best bike for YOU. I rode a bunch of bikes before i settled on the BMW, I am glad I did, I am very happy.
What every you get, be sure to show it to us.

I am a pure wingnut but having said that I really like most motorcycles with only one exception I am not a fan at all of crotch rockets ....
we have looked at several different brand bikes in the price range my wife has given me to play within and the most comfortable for my wife is the 1500's
my wife has many medical issues that make her comfort my number one priority in this search if not for those issues I'd probably buy the 1200 to fix up and continue riding my 1000... I of course will keep and ride my 1000 solo but theres no passenger comfort to be found on it lol
the most recent picture of my 1000

this is the 1500 I am looking at.. at this time it has a fuel issue there working on getting straight
short of something catastrophic happening it is the one
they have ordered a new fuel pump for it once it is running right the price is 5k . the bike has about 85k miles on it
the owner has complete service history all done by a dealer bike has ring of fire along with some other additions and it is a 95 1500a

Looking good, once it is running like an 85k GW should you will be happy :clapping:

I have the exact same bike with a few different add ons. There's no doubt in my mind you and your wife will be happy with it if you get it. The fuel problems like that one has is almost always what Honda calls the fuel petcock. It's a vacumn operated fuel shut off that's a known problem on the 1500s. It shuts the fuel off if the engine isn't running. The new replacements are supposed to be much improved over the originals and cost about $100. They can also be rebuilt cheaper. The in-tank fuel pump does go bad sometimes but rarely and they're pretty expensive to replace. The petcock is easy to by-pass but you lose the fuel shut off safety factor. Be familiar with how to do it if you tour a lot. Mine failed in the middle of the desert in New Mexico, 50 miles from a town, right at sunset, a little scary. I have the color matched trailer for mine too but have only used it once on the trip to Joe's last summer. It's nice to be able to carry extra stuff when you're two up though.

BTW, $5000 is what I paid for my 2000 K1200LT, 5 years newer, 50K miles, EFI, all the bells and whistles and is said to have the most passenger comfort of any bike made. I hopped on and rode it 250 miles after picking it up.
Just something to think about.

Funny thing. Just as this place is a great community that finds ways to save money and keep the old wings going by not buying everything at the dealer and fixing it yourself, the BMW community has a forum just like this one. Yes, they do cost a little more to fix sometimes, but try riding one and you will see why we are willing.

my neighbor has one for 3 yrs now with something wrong with it ... i offered to look at it ... but he acts like a goldwing guy like me cant come close to fixing it so it just sits ... had it at a shop severval months too ... i thought it was fixed but i havnt seen it move yet ....people can sure be funny and hard to figure ...

here is the 1500 all cleaned up and running. If everything goes as planned I will pick it up in the morning.
He has it at the shop that does all my major work for me getting it serviced and gone over to make sure all is well with it

Latest posts