manifold heating ...coolant

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dan filipi":27a3kjjz said:
I'd like to see the tstat housing also.
you can see the wear mark were the hose slips over.
Tstat.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108245#p108245:36i8a1h8 said:
joedrum » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:42 am[/url]":36i8a1h8]
yes .....after reading all the info i could I can up with my own sound reasoning why icing is a big deal and will get bigger as the mangods keep making the gas weaker and and replacing the gas with water base products :mrgreen:

Nail. Head. You hit it Joe !!

HOTT

yep that was my original idea ... funny how things come back to first thought sometimes

what an already productive day this is .....this is what a forum is great at

big thanks to everyone :mrgreen:

Awesome Joe. Curious what video you saw. Did I miss it here somewhere or did you see it somewhere else? Now you bring up the leak situation I think I will make a way to vacuum test the manifold before installing it on the bike. Either four caps for the ends or a plate to bolt it to.

One other thing this manifold does well is spread the heat over more of the runners as well. I really think when Dan came up with the adapter to make the fuel leaving the two barrels mix better was a real leap forward. I notice this manifold extends up a ways to the carb so I'm wondering if this might have helped keep the mixture even to all four cylinders. Hott, have you ever done a plug check to see if they are all burning the same color? Forgive my curiosity on the details but I'm now thinking about spending the time to weld up a similar style manifold so I don't want to miss anything.

I really hate to bring up the name as I decided not to play back and forth with people who dislike my ways of reasoning and qualifications as it makes any difference to the oldwings ... but dan linked it to me to watch and it was by cm85 over at suaunder site ....I am sure its in a thread there somewhere I seen it on you tube ....that's as far as I am going ... idont want to seem like I am slaming the video ... what got me was the stock crossover problem ... and this is certainly not cm85 doing ... it was a good look at stock system in cold weather and I was shocked enough not to go here for the manifold heat deal this will be gone from my plans ... I will hook up at heads with hose and cut thermostat just as the cc manifold hooks up too motor ... might have something different than the u looking piece though not sure that's in my plan but housing cut yes :builder: :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108271#p108271:iq1p8amb said:
joedrum » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:40 am[/url]":iq1p8amb]
I really hate to bring up the name as I decided not to play back and forth with people who dislike my ways of reasoning and qualifications as it makes any difference to the oldwings ... but dan linked it to me to watch and it was by cm85 over at suaunder site ....I am sure its in a thread there somewhere I seen it on you tube ....that's as far as I am going ... idont want to seem like I am slaming the video ... what got me was the stock crossover problem ... and this is certainly not cm85 doing ... it was a good look at stock system in cold weather and I was shocked enough not to go here for the manifold heat deal this will be gone from my plans ... I will hook up at heads with hose and cut thermostat just as the cc manifold hooks up too motor ... might have something different than the u looking piece though not sure that's in my plan but housing cut yes :builder: :mrgreen:

Got it Joe. No sweat. I'm just glad you were able to get something useful out of it to share.

oh and yes the transistion plate raises carb up ... and actually taking twice the time for the charge to hit the base plate ..where the icing happens this in itself is good .. raising any carb up some from the floor base useally always will increase carb performance ... back in the day I did it all the time on cars with plywood ... this actually cooled the carb some the plywood and that helps to really on cars ... lots of jokes ... no jokes after the race though ..... when carb is higher it has more of a strait shoot down before it has to turn in manifold ... witch again helps icing also along with just better charge ... so lots of beenies from raising carb ..... making the transition piece a huge benefit in oldwing use

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108275#p108275:33wyzeh9 said:
mwbill37841 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:41 am[/url]":33wyzeh9]
am i reading things wrong? :headscratch: why do you have to heat the carbs. if there is an icing problem , isn't it to cold to be riding anyway? :headscratch: :headscratch:

Read this
https://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/tech/w ... -manifold/

Plywood is an excellent insulator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108269#p108269:1zuqioju said:
sparrowhawkdesign » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:23 am[/url]":1zuqioju]
Awesome Joe. Curious what video you saw. Did I miss it here somewhere or did you see it somewhere else? Now you bring up the leak situation I think I will make a way to vacuum test the manifold before installing it on the bike. Either four caps for the ends or a plate to bolt it to.

One other thing this manifold does well is spread the heat over more of the runners as well. I really think when Dan came up with the adapter to make the fuel leaving the two barrels mix better was a real leap forward. I notice this manifold extends up a ways to the carb so I'm wondering if this might have helped keep the mixture even to all four cylinders. Hott, have you ever done a plug check to see if they are all burning the same color? Forgive my curiosity on the details but I'm now thinking about spending the time to weld up a similar style manifold so I don't want to miss anything.

I agree.
It has helped to get an even mixture to both front and both rear cylinders, which was my original purpose behind it and has proven to be a big benefit since the rear plugs were burning richer than the fronts. Fronts were too lean, which is what threw up a flag for me, now all 4 are tan.

Understanding why heating the manifold is important is pretty simple really when the fact is, raw liquid gasoline will not produce the burn needed to move the piston.
Liquid will burn yes but it won't expand when ignited like vapor will.
Heating the plenum and runners will aid in vaporizing the liquid much like spraying water on a hot frying pan will. Try spraying water on a cold frying pan.

Vacuum will make a liquid boil at a lower temperature.
Gasoline at the normal air pressure around us (unless heated) will not boil.
Putting the liquid under a vacuum (like below the throttle plate) will cause the gasoline to boil at a much lower temperature. This vacuum/boiling/vaporizing causes the manifold to "give up" it's heat.
That is why the plenum gets so cold and makes heating it so important.

You can make a lot of steam vaporizing just a little bit of water. You can fit a lot more of that water in a fine spray (atomization). This holds true for gasoline also. The gasoline itself doesn't (ice) although it will cool enough to pool some of the atomized fuel if not heated. Icing happens when water vapor is cooled in the same way whether it be from higher humidity or water held in fuel mix by alcohol. The fuel charge has more power if atomized than it will vaporized. Optimal fuel mix is difficult to achieve but if we can be consistently close our bikes will run as well as they can.
This just to clarify the difference between the terms atomization and vapor which have been used interchangeably in these discussions.