More Sound System/Communication Questions

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkB

Reaction score
This is a subject that has probably been discussed ad-nauseum, but I really couldn’t find what I was looking for in an answer. Bits and pieces, yes, but nothing all inclusive.

I’m curious what other folks are doing for sound systems/communications on their bikes.

My bike has the Clarion sound system with CB, AM/FM and cassette. The cassette deck doesn’t seem to work, or I couldn’t get it to work, though I didn’t spend much time messing with it. Who cares, anyway? The plug for the driver’s helmet is there and as far as I know, the intercom and everything works, though I’ve not tested it. The plug for the passenger does not seem to be there. The holder is there, but there is no receptacle. Truthfully, it could be tucked up under the seat somewhere, but I haven’t dug far enough into it to see.

I could be happy with the AM/FM radio and I’ve seen how others have shown how to put an inline plug for an MP3 player. That would work for me. However, rider communication is still an issue and I would like to be able to make/take phone calls from time to time.

The quick and dirty thing to do would be to buy just a headset for me, but down the road, I’d want passenger communication, I know. The phone thing is still an issue, too.

I’ve seen various Bluetooth devices from Scalarider, to chatterbox and such that have the capability of running outside audio. I’ve also seen 5 pin plug adapters to single jack stereo cables, which would let me listen to the existing AMFM radio within the Bluetooth system. This is more or less the direction I am leaning at this point in time, though I did see Dan's issues with battery life.

I guess before I get too wild and crazy, the best thing to do would be to verify there is no passenger 5 pin plug tucked away somewhere. Still, though, I always go back to the phone issue. No matter what, my phone will not be available to me with the stock Honda sound system. Or will it? What tricks have you up your sleeves?

Willing to take a listen to what all of you are doing. Frankly, I’m not real crazy about running down the road with the onboard speakers blaring. Not everybody digs swing music!

Thanks ahead of time and thanks for your newbie patience!

Mark

Joe, I know exactly what you’re saying. I usually like to hear what’s going on around me, but with the helmet on, I really can’t anyway. I reckon I just as well be listening to something!

If I had to prioritize, I guess I’d say my top two things I’d want would be rider communication and cell phone.

I’m going to pull off the seat tonight and get a better look-see if the passenger plug is there. I have a sneaky suspicion it’s absent.

Mark

I'm getting the cart slightly ahead of the horse, here, as usual. Assuming the passenger pigtail is, indeed missing..... Is this something that's readily available? I looked on flea-bay and while they didn't show any that were specific to my year, the ones pictured all looked pretty much the same.

Thanks,

Mark

the 5 pin plug are usualy in the left side of the faring and can be pulled out through the hole. If it is meissing the extension cables can be gotten through most electronic stores and JCW. Adaptors from 5 pin to newer types are also avaliable.

toytender01":2pr65mme said:
the 5 pin plug are usualy in the left side of the faring and can be pulled out through the hole. If it is meissing the extension cables can be gotten through most electronic stores and JCW. Adaptors from 5 pin to newer types are also avaliable.

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply!

The front plug is there, it’s the passenger plug that is non-existent. It was there at one time because the PTT button is still on the grab rail. I was going to pull the seat off last night and see if it’s tucked up under there, for some reason, but I didn’t get around to it.

I’m going to go by a local shop this weekend that specializes in Wings, (these guys) and see if I can get them to test out my intercom system for me. If it works OK, then I might just pop for the headset as that’s probably the cheapest way to go, for now. I won’t be able to answer phone calls, but them’s the breaks! IF the intercom doesn’t work, then I will go the Bluetooth route. First things first, I need to know what I have. Maybe they'll have some hot tips for me, too!

Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate your willingness to help!

Mark

When I ride I'm happily unplugged from the day to day concerns. My phone is in my pocket and checked only at stops. My radio is disconnected. Fewer distractions makes me feel safer and more aware of my situation.

As a follow up on this; I found the passenger plug, neatly rolled and zip-tied, then tucked in behind the battery. It looks pretty chewed with the weather and dirt cap missing. I'm going to assume it doesn't work. I was getting ready to go for a ride, so I didn't take the shelter off to trace it back and see if it just unplugs somewhere, or is hardwired. Anybody know the answer? Is a replacement readily available somewhere, or would a person be better off to just graft in a J&M style plug and be done with it?

Mark

the clarion system wanst for me either but I can tell you in some cases its cheaper and easier to fix than the corse I chose.

first I cleaned out all the old system. then added a dashmounted stereo with usb input, and resonable speakers.
next I bought a used intercom system with inputs for accessories and a built in CB.
I still need the short wires from the headsets and the headsets... for my intercom there 8 pin. not standard 5 GW headsets.

I'v done enough resurch to tell you there are ways to tie a blue tooth rig into your stock system to incorperate your phone.
right off the top of my head I would say you have inputs from the non-functional casette player, you could add a mp3 player. if you need a pocket for that side let me know. I dont have a leather cover but I dont know where there are hard pockets and maybe old covers that might get by.

also I'd offer most of my oem system if you need parts .... my original didnt have a intercom. so I cant help with the cords, unless I visit the local junkyard.
I plan to go for myself as soon as the snow clears this year!

I'v done enough resurch to tell you there are ways to tie a blue tooth rig into your stock system to incorperate your phone.
[/quote]

Now yer talkin'! I'm all ears!

jdegase":fj4o7scv said:
right off the top of my head I would say you have inputs from the non-functional casette player, you could add a mp3 player. if you need a pocket for that side let me know. I dont have a leather cover but I dont know where there are hard pockets and maybe old covers that might get by.

Thanks! I was thinking about doing that and maybe I do want to put the pocket back... Seems I saw somewhere else where somebody had done that (the MP3 jack). Again, willing to look at any and all suggestions with thrift being the big key.

jdegase":fj4o7scv said:
also I'd offer most of my oem system if you need parts .... my original didnt have a intercom. so I cant help with the cords, unless I visit the local junkyard.
I plan to go to there myself as soon as the snow clears this year!
Thanks for the offer. The parts I want/need all work. I have one chewed up intercom plug and it may work, though certainly not weather proof. I'm going to have to pay a visit to the junkyard, anyway. I need a new center stand, one of the legs on mine is bent and the reason it's almost impossible to get off of. That settles that, I think I will go OEM as much as possible and expand on that.

Thanks!

Mark

My new parts Bike came with a Clarion Radio - has the radio, amplifier, reciever and digital panel -
Is this a good radio and is it worth putting into my GL1200? (interstate)

The P.O. said it worked fine when he took the bike apart (13 years ago)

is there a schematic available anywhere?

1060dsl":3nkmdhj0 said:
My new parts Bike came with a Clarion Radio - has the radio, amplifier, reciever and digital panel -
Is this a good radio and is it worth putting into my GL1200? (interstate)

The P.O. said it worked fine when he took the bike apart (13 years ago)

is there a schematic available anywhere?

I think the 1200's all came with panasonic radios. not the same style.
if you have a clarion I'm pretty sure its for a 83 or older bike.
both are excellent systems.

Hi,
I am going to upgrade the comms on my bike to a new SENA Bluetooth system in the next few weeks... Not only is it an intercom to passenger, it also can intercom to OTHER motorcycle USERS over Bluetooth for almost 1KM!!!

It has the ability to connect to the phone & GPS via Bluetooth and with an optional accessory can do TWO more audio inputs (iPod, Sirrus, etc) AND has the ability to interface with a TWO WAY radio system!!!

It is a bit pricey (almost $550 for everything for two sets and accessories)but nothing else out there has gotten positive reviews and has these capabilities for wireless comms...

Check out the link to the website:

https://www.senabluetooth.com/

When I finish it' Ill post my thoughts and opinions....

Rich

$550 dosen't sound like a bad price for all that - I think I may look into it as well (use the old girls money!)

n2ppn":3udlw28q said:
Ordered it today... Will post update when I install..

Rich

which product are you looking at the SMH-10? and would you need to of these for rider and passanger? The more I read on this the more it looks like an awsome product

Latest posts