Motivate me on changing cam belts

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motörhead

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1985 Kawasaki Concours
1975 Honda GL1000
I finally got my new to me 1986 Aspencade to idle and stop leaking gas into the cylinders after three carb R&Rs for cleaning then float needle seat cleanup with polishing compound then floats. I flushed the cooling system and changed the oil, the clutch and brake hydraulics need flushing and possibly disassembly along with the air suspension not powering after a wash so there's electrical troubleshooting to do, maybe conversion to standard shocks, fork oil, the seat was modified for a NBA center so I have to cut it down #### I'm hoping to get it all done before a trip to the Indy 500, a 2,000 mile round trip. The bike has 36k miles showing on the odometer. I don't want to drop the radiator and replace the belts if they'll be ok droning along the freeway at this mileage.

36K miles over the life of the bike? Likely the belts have never been changed since '86? I would strongly recommend changing the belts. They deteriorate with age (heat and time) and give zero warning before breaking. These are interference engines so if one of the two belts break while at speed on your 2,000 mile trip, you will not only be stuck on the side of the road, but risk significant damage to your heads and valves. Cheap insurance to change the belts (and a fairly simple job overall considering the benefits).

I finally got my new to me 1986 Aspencade to idle and stop leaking gas into the cylinders after three carb R&Rs for cleaning then float needle seat cleanup with polishing compound then floats. I flushed the cooling system and changed the oil, the clutch and brake hydraulics need flushing and possibly disassembly along with the air suspension not powering after a wash so there's electrical troubleshooting to do, maybe conversion to standard shocks, fork oil, the seat was modified for a NBA center so I have to cut it down #### I'm hoping to get it all done before a trip to the Indy 500, a 2,000 mile round trip. The bike has 36k miles showing on the odometer. I don't want to drop the radiator and replace the belts if they'll be ok droning along the freeway at this mileage.
I totally agree with McGovern! My '86 Interstate was gifted to me, and the previous owner was uncertain whether the belts had ever been changed. About $80 later and a day of wrenching I can now ride with confidence that my valves won't be poking holes in my pistons. Fix the three yellow wires coming off the commutator too, they can cook your alternator. Lots of videos available. Mine had 38k on it. ENJOY!

OK thanks I'm going to get started as soon as I can fend off this cat attack. DOH the timing plug is right under the carbs that I had off then put back ☹️
IMG_20230211_145737.jpg

Well I've discovered the belts were changed not very many miles ago with Powergrip 887819 belts but at least I'll not worry anymore. I have 2 new AC Delco# TB070 GM#88933026 and 2 Gates pulley T42015 hopefully these are correct. I'm having trouble finding a automotive crossover for the thermostat if someone knows please provide & much appreciated.
With the crankshaft mark at 1 it appears the right bank is a tooth off. During running in the garage the engine would backfire occasionally but I attributed that to having the mufflers off. Am I seeing things or are they off?
IMG_20230211_162418.jpg

IMG_20230211_162430.jpg

So, it is common to find the right side off one tooth and the timing out a bit. When the belts are changed, you have to keep the right side pulley pushing backwards against spring pressure while setting the left belt (left and right as you sit on the bike). Many folks set both belts with no pressure on the right and it sets up one tooth off,

@Motörhead Which pulley part are you referring to?

This is a list of all the aftermarket parts that are used on Goldwings, might want to bookmark it for future reference (had a hard time finding something that was "sticky-ed" before) the radiator thermostat and hoses are listed for different models.

https://classicgoldwings.com/threads/basic-part-numbers-list.1923/
It's not really the number of miles ago the timing belts were changed, it's miles and time. I have had many conversations with mechanics about the subject, cars or bikes. The range runs from a low of about 50k miles or five years to the high of 70k miles to seven years. The only written info one mechanic stated he'd seen was in a Lexus manual, it stated the 7k or 7 yr. Evidently the worst thing appears to have them "set" for long periods of time as the tend to take the shape or bend they are resting in, loosing some of the flexibility.

I found a goldwingdocs reference to Gates 33488 thermostat that is supposed to fit and open at 180 degrees.
Edit: although the ones on the engine appear serviceable am replacing the belts anyway to be safe.

Last edited:
i pulled the cam sprockets off a 1987 gl1200. the belts that were on there snapped from my hand pressure. tore like a rotten cloth.
not enough? you wanna break down in indianappolis at night ?

BTW, tell us about your name, it sure doesnt match anyone from texas.

i pulled the cam sprockets off a 1987 gl1200. the belts that were on there snapped from my hand pressure. tore like a rotten cloth.
not enough? you wanna break down in indianappolis at night ?

BTW, tell us about your name, it sure doesnt match anyone from texas.
I replaced the belts although the ones on it must have been replaced by a dealership, nearly new Honda branded. Far as my name I don't get the question it's a band I saw once, actually Akido hip flipped a drunk right in front of Lemmy to which he smiled approval.

I wonder how many years (decades) since Honda sold belts with their name on them.

BTW, good luck finding a dealership that will touch your engine. They don't even want to change tires on them.