My 1986 1200 DIES!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidejack

Reaction score
Situation:
1. Battery good; cranks 220A
2. Accessory port works -- powers added stuff
3. Turning ignition key to "ON"; lights alive/etc
4. Battery voltage reads 12.6v
5. Push starter button; EVERYTHING DIES; battery goes to Zero even when starter button released and NO "click" of starter, and 30a main fuse still good

So far:
1. Replaced Starter Relay Switch (original switch had nasty connections)
2. Cleaned contacts on starter button; opens/closes correctly
3. Disconnected battery; reconnect; voltage may or may not go back to 12.x volts. If 12.x volts and repeat of steps results in same.

Starter Motor maybe? I'm stuck.
(Good news; got 2 other bikes to keep me on the road -- but, grandkids aren't getting a ride for awhile)

Any advice appreciated .....Sidejack

Connections to starter motor (heavy curre nt wires can get corrosion and poor continuity inside the crimped-on end connectors. Solenoids may (or may not) click but burnedinternal contacts not make contact. A carefully connected automotive jumper cable from + post tapped on starter post bypasses most of this. Wear safety glasses and have no fuel or vapors present as this can produce sparks with molten copper.

battery, circuit breaker, bad ground. disconnect cable from starter to prove rest of circuit as a fast test. then do PIDJPONES test while start cable still disconnected as quick test for starter. poboy redneck method.......disregard if you have meters, expreience,etc

Connections to starter motor (heavy curre nt wires can get corrosion and poor continuity inside the crimped-on end connectors. Solenoids may (or may not) click but burnedinternal contacts not make contact. A carefully connected automotive jumper cable from + post tapped on starter post bypasses most of this. Wear safety glasses and have no fuel or vapors present as this can produce sparks with molten copper.
I'll try that this week --

Battery PERFECT -- wish that was the answer
DId you have it load tested? I have same symptoms and it was a bad AGM battery. One morning started fine, next nothing. Not like a normal lead acid where it normally gives warning af failure coming.

If your voltage measured at the battery goes to zero and there isnt smoke somewhere (dead short) I'd suspect battery. AGM batteries can fail like that. Only a load test will confirm. Most auto parts stores can do that for you.

I'll try that this week --
Test as you suggested confirmed that the starter motor IS the problem --
Bypassing everything, and connecting the battery direct to the motor -- battery shorted; starter did nothing.
ALSO, with the starter motor disconnected from the starter relay -- when the starter button is pushed, lights stayed on and the starter relay "clicked"
SO, pretty sure I'll be buying a starter motor.
Thanks for the assistance.....jack

Pull it off and check. Sometimes simple things such as dirty commutator, stuck or used-up brushes.
yep, the gears were stuck in mine. on another. it was the brushes coroded with some black stuff. in both cases, it was only time involved.........no momey spent.

If there is an alternator repair shop close by, look into having the starter rebuilt. Only takes the shop a few hours and it may be less expensive than a new aftermarket non-OEM starter motor. Battery, load test only or a complete load test and internal health check. A bad battery cell, or one that is failing is not the friend of the electrical system.

I have a completely rebuilt GL1100 starter sitting on the shelf. Problem is, I cannot remember if the 1100 and 1200 starters are interchangeable.

1100 Starter Rebuild 002.jpg

1100 Starter Rebuild 011.jpg

If there is an alternator repair shop close by, look into having the starter rebuilt. Only takes the shop a few hours and it may be less expensive than a new aftermarket non-OEM starter motor. Battery, load test only or a complete load test and internal health check. A bad battery cell, or one that is failing is not the friend of the electrical system.
My 87 Interstate would start cold, but not hot., even with a jump, so I looked at the starter. The brushes were half the original length, and carbon dust was everywhere. I went to an automotive electrical shop and bought matching brushes for $10. I cleaned, regreased and reassembled the starter. Works fine now.

Latest posts