My 1987 1200 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189770#p189770:2kssj2gp said:
backlander » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:11 am[/url]":2kssj2gp]
My name is Backlander, and I am a goldwingaholic.
:good: :salute:

I am almost to the point where I am ready to put the fairing back on. When that happens, I think I will be on the home stretch. What's keeping me from putting the fairing on? The horns do not work. That was what I wanted to figure out tonight. I think I figured out what's wrong with them...

image.php

You know, I've heard, and seen rat's nests before, but DAMN! How did the critters get inside there and do that! :shock:

When I tore it all apart, there was so much crap built up in the switch that there was no way the button was going to make the connection.

image.php

I cleaned everything up, and now the horns work. Now the fun really begins... cramming everything back into the switch box. :head bang:

Have had pretty good luck spraying contact type cleaners to clean things up a bit in the past. :yes: But have never had a mess that bad yet. :roll:

I cleaned out the worst of it with the scribe and then blew it out with compressed air, and still it wouldn't work. Once I resigned myself to the fact that I was tearing it apart completely, that's when I found all of the build-up inside the horn button itself.

After seeing what the switch box on the left side looked like, I am going to at least open up the switch box on the right side to see if it matches.

The hole is for the communication cable plug to pass through, where you plug your helmet into. The original setup also has a communication plug attached for the rider on the left side down by the rear seat.

Well then, since that has all been removed, the hole is useless. My wife really doesn't need a communication cable... she uses a slap up along side the helmet. :Doh2:

:smilie_happy:

Thanks backlander!

So when I started out on this voyage, the chrome... well it lost it's luster, and these don't even come close to showing what the Jardine exhaust system looked like.

image.php

image.php

image.php

Today partzilla was waiting at my door, so I was able to replace the rear shock boots and bushings. When that was done, I was able to put most of the chrome back on and admire my work at cleaning it all up.

image.php

image.php

No matter what I tried, I could not save the chrome on the trunk rack underneath the trunk, so that got a coat of paint. No one will see it anyway, so it shouldn't matter too much. The only thing left to put on are the engine guards and floorboard, but that comes after the carbs are synched. Now, I am back to roughly where I started with this bike... Time to get the rear brakes working.

If you remember, that was the reason the bike was being sold. The linked brakes wouldn't bleed so they were practically giving the bike away for $500.

It amazes me what you guys are able to do with diamonds in the rough. Out here it's usually miles and sun rot. Rust is pretty much a non issue. Plastic just needs to be replaced. Easier I think than dealing with rust.

Lotsa work on that one - but sure seems like it paid off.

By the way, I wouldn't ditch that rubber plug with the hole (that the comm plug passes through). Without it, there's a pretty sizable gap looking down the forks. You're making me miss my '84 Aspy. (although the Interstate gauges are way better than the digital pod).

I wasn't going to ditch the cover. I just meant I don't need to worry about the comm cord.

The plastic on this one shows its been left outside for a while, but that may be another chapter.

Brian, Dupli-Color makes a spray for plastic, door side panels and stuff that I have used, comes in flat black and gloss and I think some other basic colors. I've used the flat and gloss black on interior fairing covers and hand controls, makes them look brand new. Of course clean before spraying

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=189631#p189631:2i5byfgd said:
brianinpa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:49 pm[/url]":2i5byfgd]
I hate chrome!!!!

When it is neglected for year after year after year, it looks like this...

image.php

With a little work it can almost look new again...

image.php

So, the moral of that story: either clean it or paint it. Chrome is over rated any way.

I don't know. I kinda like chrome. A bottle of Windex and a few paper towels - 15 minutes later, you're clean. The fact that yours came out as nice as it did is a testament to the durability of the stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_4045.JPG
    IMG_4045.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 83

Latest posts