My 1987 1200 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like hanging onto unneeded at the time parts, & trying to be nice, work well together. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190083#p190083:1pfk6kwu said:
Denver » Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 am[/url]":1pfk6kwu]
Looks like hanging onto unneeded at the time parts, & trying to be nice, work well together. :smilie_happy:

:yes: Problem is... I don't remember hanging onto that tail light.

On that 84 donor bike, I had to throw most of the tupperware away because it was all busted up from when the potential buyer put it into a tree and ditch. The only things I know I saved were the front fender, the rear inner fender, the lowers, and the side covers (thank God, because I need one for this bike).

When I was on the attic, I realized that once I am finished with these bikes, I need to go to some swap meets and thin out the pile of stuff that I have.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190087#p190087:22ud3fnk said:
mcgovern61 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:17 am[/url]":22ud3fnk]
Do you have any good 1100 valve covers and engine guards in that swap meet stuff?

:headscratch: I need to look.

This evening I was able to get the bags back on and wouldn't you know it... all the lights work. I then took it down the road and everything seems good, but I couldn't go too far. I still need to put the boards and guards on, then it is just the luxury items remaining.

image.php

Last night I put a lot of time into getting the guards and boards back on... and the lowers off and back on again! :head bang: I really hate putting that guard on the left hand side of the motor. Fishing it through the exhaust and around the shifter and finally the frame can be a real :sensored: pain in the :sensored: !!! When I was done, the battery was too low to start it from all the time I spent with the lights on while working on the bags and trunk, so a quick charge and it was time for a quick test ride. :BigGrin:

First impression, it turns a lot quicker than my Standard. I had a small panel blow out of the fairing and I had to turn around to get it and I only used half of the road to turn around in. For the large size and added weight, I was sure it would have been worse than the Standard... I was wrong. The handle bars have a different feel to them, so I need to make some adjustments to them to find something that I am happy with. It smokes a little more than I like, but I am just going to keep an eye on that - after years of sitting idle, it may need some time. I don't trust the temp gauge, so I need to get an IR temp sensor to compare the gauge to what the motor is really running and then see if the fan will come on or do I need to add a switch.

So now I am left with my luxury items. After installing a Blue Sea fuse block in the 81 and really liking their product, so I ordered a smaller 4 port fuse block to install in the fairing. This fuse block with power a stereo, power charging outlet, and driving lights. I'm also going to install a voltage meter that I had laying around from an 1100. I need to recover the original seat as the one that I have on it is off of the Standard, and then do something about the backrest and arm rest that still need a lot of work.

So, when my wife got her first look at this thing, her comment was: "you paid $500 for that Rust Bucket!"

image.php

Last night when she came home and saw this sitting in the driveway, her comment was: "I can't believe you only paid $500 for this."

image.php

I call that a success! :BigGrin:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190179#p190179:1vd6uqan said:
mcgovern61 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:13 am[/url]":1vd6uqan]
"Happy Wife...Happy Life" wins again! :yahoo:

Oh, she isn't completely happy yet. I still need to do something about that swap meet pile I have in my garage and replenish "her" checking account. Funny how that works! :rant:

Latest posts