My 2nd and best Goldwing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCrow

Reaction score
My Bike Models
GL1200A, R100RT, KL650
Hello all you vintage Wing lovers! I'm up in Maine where we get too much time cleaning our bikes. I recently picked up a 1987 GL1200 Aspencade with about 24k miles and in beautiful condition. It's has about 25lbs of extra Chrome and lights and a riding friend immediately dubbed it the Disco Bike. I had to point out that Disco died several year before this bike was built, but he didn't seem to care. But once I discovered the purple florescent lights under the saddle bags I had to agree.
I'm getting the bike ready for a long tour this September, we're off to Madawaska ME then to Blaine WA, San Yasidro CA, Key West FL and finally home.
So far new timing belts, ALL fluids(from the final drive to the front forks and getting those fork tube caps back on was a bear), air filter(huge mouse nest) spark plugs and some nifty new LED lights. Next is new tires( 12 year old front and 14 year old rear now), clutch master/slave cylinder rebuilds, and rear brake caliper rebuild.
I'm also going to give the rear shocks a close look.
Glad to have found a DIY forum for these great old bikes!

DSCN3208.jpg
Day I brought her home.
DSCN3229.jpg
On the operating table.

Thank you all for the kind words. My wife and I are excited about the 4 Corners USA Tour. I did it solo many years ago on a '81 BMW R100RT with a buddy on a 1990s Honda CBR1000. This time my wife wants to join in. My wife and I have done a couple USA crosses and Canada mainly on a 2001 GL1800A so I know she is up to the challenge. That GL1800, what a mile munching machine! But no "character".

Also on my list is an Intercom system. Unfortunately this '87 didn't have the CB and Intercom options. I'd love to insatll the OE system, but I've too many other higher priority things. I know the Bluetooth wireless systems are all the rage these days but I'm going wired since charging headset batteries every day just isn't on my list as "fun". But my ancient AutoCom (UK system) intercom is on the fritz. So I do need to search for a decent system.

Welcome to The Forum and enjoy! My '86 didn't come with a CB or "intercom". I found that it was wired with the intercom parts. Contacted J&M and they provided the wire interface and the helmet speakers and mics. You might want to look in the left side of the fairing (below the pocket) and see if the interface is there or not. Good luck and nice looking ride!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210519#p210519:14w75dil said:
julimike54 » 3 minutes ago[/url]":14w75dil]
You might want to look in the left side of the fairing (below the pocket) and see if the interface is there or not. Good luck and nice looking ride!

I did check the left fairing where the OE Service manual & OE '87 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual indicated. No Joy.
I have J&M headsets in both helmets, about 21 years old but seem to work fine with my AutoCom just listening to music. It's just that my AutoCom is putting out 1.6vdc for the phantom volts to run the dynamic mic on one channel but flatline zero on the other channel and neither mic works. So my guess is the chip that combines the channels has given up it's smoke. I'll get it up on the bench one of these days.

Hello all,
After finishing( well actually still waiting on parts to put the jigsaw puzzle back together) the rear shocks, timing belts, clutch cylinder rebuilds, all fluids and filters changed.......finally I'm back to the non critical list. I need an intercom. Anyone have a lead on a wired intercom that uses the stock Honda headset 5pin DIN(?)

Thanks, hope everyone is surviving this heat. Here in Maine it feels more like Miami and most homes including mine do not have AC. :(

Attachments

• DSCN3537.jpg
    DSCN3537.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 112
A very nice job so far, by the looks of this photo. But I just have to ask, do you have enough tailpipe extension? I think another foot or so and you might have it out the garage door? Or I am I just seeing a distorted image from a wide-angle lens?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211569#p211569:fe8dpnwk said:
GTC@MSAC » Yesterday- 21:24[/url]":fe8dpnwk]
A very nice job so far, by the looks of this photo. But I just have to ask, do you have enough tailpipe extension? I think another foot or so and you might have it out the garage door? Or I am I just seeing a distorted image from a wide-angle lens?

:thanks:
A good laugh. I had not noticed the pipes infinite look, now I can't unsee them :) Actually the pipe extensions end at the lighted skirt.

Attachments

• DSCN3209.jpg
    DSCN3209.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 95
I had suspected as much, but it's always hard to imagine how much there is until it's all bolted back on! Cheers! -Graves-