My 75 starts it's return to the road

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I saw somewhere how to remove and bypass the reserve lighting stuff. That would be the preferred solution. I also need to see why the fuel gauge isn't working.

Update

I've been riding around town for about a week now. Nothing has fallen off so I guess I got it together alright. I installed the reserve lighting bypass but it didn't help with the turn signals. I've decided to take one more ride tomorrow for 20-30 miles then pull the carbs. Wish me luck. I did order a carb sync gauge set yesterday so it will be here by the time I need it. Once my friend (the PO) finds the battery cover I can take some real photos and post them in the album. It's carb time!!
Tim

carbs are so much fun

I'm in virgin territory now. I pulled the carb rack without too much trouble and started looking for problems. I was surprised that the innards didn't look near as bad as I've seen posted here and other places. Maybe running around with the ATF/Seafoam mix helped a bit. The float bowls all had crud in the bottom but I was able to clean them up. I found o-rings that were bad so I had to try to find some. After getting the sizes from the forums I googled Viton o-rings and found a distributor about 2 miles from my house. They don't sell to retail customers so once they found out I was a motorcycle guy they gave me about 6 or 8 of each size. I should get things back together tomorrow and I hope it runs right. My vacuum gauges showed up today so I hope to have it running by the weekend. Wish me luck!!

Tim

When replacing the o-rings, make sure you put some Vasoline (the gas will remove it) on them to prevent pinching as they slide into place. If you have taken the carbs off the plenum, good luck getting a seal again on old fuel port gaskets - they are not o-rings, but have a tall cross-section.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Success!!

The carbs are finished and back on the bike. It took a while to get it started because the gas was a long way off. After a few grumbles and pops it finally smoothed out and I was able to set the idle about 1000. I still need to sync the carbs but it is running so much better than before I guess I did it right. Mechanically I'm pretty much done. Now I have a few electrical things to get done and I will be able to ride all day if I want to. I really appreciate all the help and support from the forum gang. I never could have done it alone.

Thanks again guys
Tim

Update

I've put about 250 miles on the beast and it runs great. Lots of power. There is some valve noise even after I've adjusted them a couple of times. I got the gas gauge working yesterday but still have issues with the turn signals. I also found out this bike has the wrong handlebars. No wonder I feel wrong in the saddle. I've located the correct bars but they aren't drilled for wires to pass through. I may just run them externally. I'm not looking forward to messing with the switches. From what I read it is pretty fiddly. As soon as I get the battery cover from the PO I'll do a photo shoot and post it in my album. Until then I'm having fun riding again after 40 years.

Tim

Latest posts