My 75 starts it's return to the road

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally some progress!

I haven't had much time lately to work on the bike. I did enjoy meeting Bob who stopped by the other day. I have the front calipers rebuilt and re-installed( pictures on album)...removed the rear wheel and brake system...still trying to get the master cylinder apart....located the right length motor mount bolt and installed...cleaned and painted the exhaust system( pictures on album)...still de-rusting the fuel tank...my rebuild kit for the rear master should be here tomorrow...will try to get the rear caliper rebuilt...

Tim

I guess I should post some progress. I've been busy with a bunch of other things so haven't really got much done. After much fighting I finally got the brake pedal removed and cleaned all the rusty bits out. The rear master cylinder is rebuilt and ready to be installed. I just finished painting the rear caliper parts so it can go back together soon. I have a big job cleaning up the rear wheel next. After some touch-up painting on the frame I'm ready to start putting things back together. I'm dreading the carbs but they have to come off and see how bad they are. Wish me luck.

Tim

Tim, the carbs aren't so bad. On my 1100 I remove the foux tank, pull the throttle cables, fuel line, choke cable and its mount , remove the horns, remove the carb slides and slide the carbs out the left side.
Once you have them out pull the bowls and have a look see. you can clean them up with spray cleaner and check the whole mess out by following the tutorials else where on the site or run wire through the jets and passages, blow air through them, check the float setting, ,and take the chance they are ok put them back on and see what happens. If I had, had more time when I was there I could have helped you with that. Also Poney Ruez lives near you, he may be of help.
Best Procedure for carbs is the complete rebuilt though.

Well, today I started cleaning up the rear wheel. I don't think it had ever been washed because of the access. I decide on a three step program. I started with brake cleaner to remove all the grease and oil and road grime. The next step was 409 to remove the brake cleaner and all the dirt that I could. The last step was Chrome-Glo to remove the corrosion on the rim. The spokes have a coat of rust but after an attack with a wire wheel they seem plenty solid. I will finish the polish job tomorrow and paint the spokes silver. Hopefully I can get it installed and set up the rear brake. If I have time I'll put the exhaust system back on.
Cheers for now,

Tim

I just finished cleaning the rear wheel and hand painting 40 spokes. It doesn't look bad. I posted a photo in my album. Now to re-install the wheel caliper and exhaust.

Tim

Well the rear wheel is installed along with the caliper and the exhaust system. That was a bear of a job all by myself. Tomorrow I'll put the front wheel and fender on and bleed all the brakes. Next is to start it up since it hasn't run for a month and see if the seafoam has helped any. Being born on Friday the 13th I'm not expecting much.

Tim

Not so much progress today. Front wheel is on and front brakes are almost finished being bled. I can't find the hardware for the front fender in my mess so I spent the rest of the time cleaning up. Still haven't found the hardware. I did pick up a horn at the local bike yard. Now I just have to find the wires for it. The weather here has been a bit warm for my taste so work has slowed down.

Tim

Latest posts