Neutral Light Related Snafu

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazmofo

Reaction score
Now what have I done? I have tried all the wonderful suggestions you fine fellow Wingnuts have offered about my neutral light staying on. So far I have not resolved the problem, but will do an oil and filter change before collapsing into tears. Right now I have a 10 amp, 50 watt "DigiKey" resistor in the switch circuit to "hopefully" burn off any carbon deposits on the switch. The current (and new) problem is this-

Other than putting the resistor in series with the switch I have not changed any wiring or made any other alterations, but now I have to squeeze the clutch handle to start the bike in neutral whereas before I could turn the key and hit the start button without concern for the clutch. What gives? Anybody have a theory?
Chaz

Off hand my guess is the resistor is preventing enough "ground" path to close the start relay so when you pull the clutch lever it gets a good ground.
What happens if you take the resistor out of the picture?

It's not easy to get the switch out, but it can be done. Loosen all the motor mounts, flex the frame at the bottom, unbolt and pull it out. You can disassemble the switch and clean it. The 'top' of the switch unscrews. When you put it back in, align the hole in the side to the bottom of the engine so the oil drains out.

Or wait until you take the engine out for some other repair.

2 paths to ground start solenoid: clutch switch or neutral switch.

Attachments

• Starter.and.Neutral.jpg
    Starter.and.Neutral.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 98
chazmofo":cyqf7pg2 said:
... I have a 10 amp (ohm?), 50 watt "DigiKey" resistor in the switch circuit to "hopefully" burn off any carbon deposits on the switch....Other than putting the resistor in series with the switch I have not changed any wiring or made any other alterations...

If you followed the directions as laid out here https://www.gl1000.info/NeutralLight.shtml It could work. I never had any success with it though.

chazmofo":cyqf7pg2 said:
but now I have to squeeze the clutch handle to start the bike in neutral whereas before I could turn the key and hit the start button without concern for the clutch.... Anybody have a theory?

That 'usually' is and indication of an open neutral diode (see diagram in previous post.) May have had nothing to do with adding the resister to the circuit and was just it's time to go. I'd try 'undoing' the resister and see what you have then.

I'd try the simple method first..drain a quart of oil put in sea foam, diesel or other solvent run it easy for 100 miles..drain and replace with good oil..may dissolve the carbon build up..