New 79 Gl1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davisa

Reaction score
Just bought a 30000 mile 1979 Gl1000. Runs good but will need TLC, maintenance, etc. Looking forward to it. Getting back on 2 wheels after about 15 years.

Appreciate all the welcomes. Anybody have a recommendation for a good mechanic in the Harrisburg area (besides Leb. Valley Honda) and/or for parts?
Thanks.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94334#p94334:2v1xdubz said:
brianinpa » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:07 pm[/url]":2v1xdubz]
Lancaster Honda... Stay away from Lebanon Valley Honda!

As far as parts go, I do better on line than any of the dealers.

After working at the dealership level for 25 years, i might suggest that you give your local dealer a chance at some business. We price matched when we could, or tried to get close. Internet warehouses buy in huge quantities, have no trained sales staff, no show floor to keep clean and stocked with cool displays, can't and won't do warranty coverage most of the time, and can't do repairs or installations.

What i am getting at, is we lost MANY dealerships in the economic crash. Some deserved to close, but we lost several high quality dealerships that could not complete with all the internet sales going on. When you lose your dealer, only then will you realize he couldn't survive selling you a new ATV every 10 years. Have fun driving 100 miles now to the next surviving store.

Participate and actively talk with your local shops. If they are open to being flexible, try to reward them with some sales. Offer to help with a classic bike show or do other things that help them stay alive. The stores that are rude, dirty, and ill trained will go out of business anyway...but keep the good ones going and one day it might just save your own skin.

Agreed as much as I can afford but when it comes to paying $20 more per head gasket from the local guy over a Honda supplier online, guess which one I choose. Same goes for timing belts and a lot of accessories. I'm talking new here not eBay used.

I'm all for supporting local businesses but there's a breaking point.
After how much I was being over charged on tires at the local bike tire place I'm buying online from now on.