New guy, lots of questions coming

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve81GL1100

Reaction score
Hi everybody
I posted over on the new member section earlier. I just acquired a 1981 GL 1100 that hasn't run in over 7 years. The DPO told me he "had it running on one cylinder," but was getting like 90 psi on that cylinder and pretty much nothing on the other 3. At that point he took the left head off, removed the valves, and promptly got in over his head :swoon: Why do people do things like this??
Fast forward a few years to this afternoon, and now it's in my capable (at least I like to think so!) hands.
My first task is to reassemble everything he took apart, and assess what if any parts are missing. I've already identified a bunch of bolts he lost (no big deal), and the bracket that goes around behind the seat to provide a handle for the passenger and also anchor the rear fender (bigger deal). Tomorrow I'll tackle putting the head back together and back on the engine, and then start taking it apart MY way, cataloging everything in the process.
Any thoughts on what to look for first here? I know, it's like telling you my car makes a clunk and expecting you to know what it is. I'm primarily looking for the "common stuff" here, like timing belt replacement. Beyond that, what else should I figure on taking care of before I look deeper?
I'll post pics when the forum lets me... It's Cosmic Black Metallic, naked, and has 17,400 miles on it. August 1980 build date.
Thanks in advance!
Steve

Another quick question -- what's a good replacement tire? Once I get the motor sorted, the tires have to go -- they have 1986 date codes on them...
Thanks
Steve

first off it is and interference motor so the timing belt have to be don right or valves will clash the piston ....
personaly id get it running with the old beltrs first to make sure the motor is sound ....
its probably a givin you have to go through the carbs ...but you never know ...

you just need to start at the motor first .....

I'll know a lot more as I tear into it, but from looking at the head that's off of it I can tell there was no contact between valves and piston. There's a lot of coke deposited in there, so I'm guessing it's never really been taken out and opened up to clear its lungs. With only 17k on the clock I think it never left town and was a neighborhood cruiser. That's not in the cards here -- I have scooters for that...
For some reason the forum still won't let me post pics. I keep getting the message "No outside URLs permitted before your 5th post"
As soon as it lets me do so I'll post a couple I took last night after I got it a little cleaned up. I say "a little," because you could honestly spend a week or more cleaning up and polishing out all the chrome and aluminum on one of these things, and this one needs it...
Steve

Steve, you can upload pics into your personal "Gallery" at any time. You have 7 posts now, so you should be able to post links anyway. Upload into your gallery, and then either copy/paste the links here, or you can post the pics here, either way. Looking forward to seeing it!

Dan,
I posted 3 pics to my gallery, but still can't move any to here. I was trying to bring them in from my Photobucket account earlier, same way I do with other forums I'm on, but that wasn't working either...
Steve

Steve81GL1100":1kutkr5m said:
Dan,
I posted 3 pics to my gallery, but still can't move any to here. I was trying to bring them in from my Photobucket account earlier, same way I do with other forums I'm on, but that wasn't working either...
Steve

Steve, as a test, copy and paste the last link from one of your pictures in the gallery. It should allow you to do that.

gallery/image.php?album_id=916&image_id=8659

This is the image:
image.php

Still getting the "No outside links" message, so I guess the only way to see pics right now is to go to my album. Sorry about that.
Maybe I need to post in 5 different threads.....
Steve

Hey I just saw your album photo's nice bike, hey man, I see spitfires on there already you sure can change a tire in a hurry man...How old are those tires? Where did you find those in raised white letter for your 81? :clapping: I could never find them...

Uhh, you don't want these tires. I think the date code on them may be 1986 -- it's "0386"... They do hold air, though, and actually look pretty good although they're a little hard. I figure they'll be OK for putting down a few miles after I get it going and then a trip to the shop 4 miles away for replacements.
Steve

Steve81GL1100":legwzp4j said:
Still getting the "No outside links" message, so I guess the only way to see pics right now is to go to my album. Sorry about that.
Maybe I need to post in 5 different threads.....
Steve
I'll look into it some more. You shouldn't be getting that message.

Steve81GL1100":30jw9i3e said:
Another quick question -- what's a good replacement tire? Once I get the motor sorted, the tires have to go -- they have 1986 date codes on them...
Thanks
Steve
Interesting.....only a little bit over 17K miles and there are replacement tires on the bike from around 1986. (About right if the bike was bought in '81, ridden to '86 would be about 3500 miles a year until the tires were changed). Kinda indicates the bikes has been sitting a real long time. Any wear on those tires (other than being hard from age?) Are you sure 17K is the actual mileage?