New Headlight Reflector

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kah92340

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this on anther site and thought it would be helpful here too.

I have an 81 and have never been happy with my headlight. I got the Silverstar bulb last year and it was better but still not right. I added driving lights and a big improvement but around town at night I always get flashed they're to bright for oncoming traffic.

I finally replaced my headlight reflector, the old one was kind of dull. I replaced it with a Bosh H4 motorcycle reflector and all I can say is WOW what a difference. With the Silverstar and the new reflector It's got a great beam on low and incredible beam on high it really lights up the road now. I finally feel now the light is the way it should be.

The cost was only $22.48 plus freight of $11.00. Here is a link and Bosh part number if anyone is interested
https://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=0301600118
the part number 0 301 600 118
I had to order by phone because on the website they're sold in pairs but they had no problem selling them in singles. It's a Volkswagen place and a lot of the old Volkswagen's are upgrading with them.

Kim H

Wonder what the wattage is, and the amp draw on high? :headscratch: I could certainly use a little more light at night.

AApple":3g55z6d9 said:
Wonder what the wattage is, and the amp draw on high? :headscratch: I could certainly use a little more light at night.

The Sylvania Silverstar H4 bulb is the same wattage as a stock bulb 55/60 watt so there is no extra power draw. They're about $20 available at most auto parts stores, if you get the bulb the number is H4ST for motorcycles it holds up better with the vibration.
I have no idea what the amp draw is.

:Doh2: I'm a bit slow...I just realized that the post was about replacing the reflector/housing, and not the actual bulb...dang...this gettin old thing sux! :swoon:
Thanx for the info, anyway! :good:

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Sorry meant to say :salute: :salute: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Is it a direct replacement? Cause if its a nice and easy swap i'll get one cause my reflector inside of my headlight is collapsing and dosnt shine worth a crap

BigAndrew":xxgnrsa3 said:
Is it a direct replacement? Cause if its a nice and easy swap i'll get one cause my reflector inside of my headlight is collapsing and dosnt shine worth a crap

Yes it is a direct replacement, just plug and play. Pull out the head light there are three little screws holding on the headlight ring undo those and swap the reflectors, pull the bulb out of the old one and put it in the new one. Then put it back in the bike and your ready to go.
My old one was faded and just didn't reflect very well either.

kah92340":jq4qsqbm said:
Yes it is a direct replacement, just plug and play. Pull out the head light there are three little screws holding on the headlight ring undo those and swap the reflectors, pull the bulb out of the old one and put it in the new one. Then put it back in the bike and your ready to go.
My old one was faded and just didn't reflect very well either.

Sounds Good... Now i just need to contact them and hopefully they'll just let me but one too :mrgreen:

Andrew, any 7" round H4 headlight at the autoparts store will bolt right into your holder. You can even get the Silverstar version. I can't recall the number but it will likely be on the shelf.

Andyb":yo7ymabo said:
Andrew, any 7" round H4 headlight at the autoparts store will bolt right into your holder. You can even get the Silverstar version. I can't recall the number but it will likely be on the shelf.

Oh Yea? Cool Beans :mrgreen: :salute: Thanks for the heads up, I'll check some local shop to see what i can find

Auto lenses have different prisms then motorcycles, which leaves dark spots in your light pattern, most noticeable when you are leaned over on a dark corner and you can't see the sides of the road.

fastmover83":3s84d30u said:
Auto lenses have different prisms then motorcycles, which leaves dark spots in your light pattern, most noticeable when you are leaned over on a dark corner and you can't see the sides of the road.

You got a good point... I guess i'll just look for one only at motorcycle shops... Or maybe even ebay

I know that having the plating flake off the reflector will ruin a light housing, but a lot of guys think their light is toast when the only problem is the reflector and the inside of the lens are dirty, if that's the problem all you have to do is remove it from the bike and pour in some dishwasher soap, the kind that doesn't leave a residue or water spots, and swish it around a bit, then rinse it with distilled water and let it air dry. Don't rub it with anything, no matter how soft, or you will put little tiny scratches on the reflector and ruin it. You will be surprised how much that will improve the light.

:head bang: My reflector is collapsing inside of the housing, So instead of trying to glue it back in place and trying to clean it i would rather just buy a new one

That test makes the argument that motorcycle headlight lenses are alright for auto use. What I was saying was that because of the difference in the lens prisms the auto lenses would leave some dark areas in the light pattern when the bike is leaned over in a curve.

this is starting to get like a darksider post on car tires vs motorcycle tyres . if i can figure it out im going to put one cartire that is on my gl1050 ill call it standard equipment one of these days

fastmover83":2rxgejdt said:
That test makes the argument that motorcycle headlight lenses are alright for auto use. What I was saying was that because of the difference in the lens prisms the auto lenses would leave some dark areas in the light pattern when the bike is leaned over in a curve.

I tried a auto sealed beam type and it was pretty much a straight on spot compared to the wider beam of stock.
I didn't like the straight beam. Maybe it shines farther but I wasn't getting light where needed, to the left and right.

Latest posts