New member from England

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Mantle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I am in England , Grimsby to be precise. I ride a 1983 GL1100AD that I have kitted out with the luggage from a 1200 and made a hydraulic clutch conversion. The bike started out as a standard GL1100AD UK spec .
This model was not fitted with the radio equipment that the US and Canadian models enjoy. I have fitted her with a car radio system that has no CD or tape deck in order to reduce the depth of fitment. It does however have a USB and SD card reader instead.
My previous wing was a 1980 GL1100 and I found the luggage incapable of having enough for both myself and wife. This machine came with the standard Hondaline luggage which I changed for the 1200 set-up in order to satisfy my wife's demands. I paid a bit over the odds for the set I bought because it was an exact colour match thus saving me the time and expense of a respray. It also had the added advantage of the larger back rest for the passenger. This has served me well on a few trips up to the North of Scotland.
My latest modification is a hydraulic clutch conversion which has made life easier for my arthritis. The weight of clutch is only a little lighter but one heck of a lot smoother , even when
compared to a new cable.
My next aim is to try and improve the ground clearance , especially on left hand turns. I find she grounds on lefts but not right turns , especially two up. I have bumped the air pressure to maximum in the shocks but , unless I remove the centre stand , still hits the floor on any more than gentle cornering. Does anyone know if the 1200 shocks are longer? Or are there any other air shocks I could adopt?.
I would rather keep the 1100 instead of upgrading to the 1500 or even the 1800. My insurance is only pennies compared to the other Wings thus I am reluctant to pay for something that will not do the job any better than this old girl. :thanks: in advance for any help or advice

Welcome to the forum from Colorado.. How difficult was it to fit the 1200 bags and box? We'd love to see photos.
My 83 GL1100a also bottoms on the left some and I am planning to go through the rear shocks this winter and add some progressive springs and heavier oil. From what I've read this should help.
Enjoy the forum.
:party: :party: :party:

Welcome to the CGW forums, David!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
We gotta see some pics! :beg: :mrgreen:

First of all I thank the forum for the welcome I received - it feels good to meet like minded bikers.
The clutch conversion :- I bought a pit bike hydraulic clutch kit from ebay which I used as a direct replacement for the cable. Unlike most clutch kits this PULLS and not pushes the actuator and just fits in the same place as the cable at the engine end.
Clutch conversion.JPG
The handlebar master unit is from a Honda VFR750 , the hydraulic cable had to be made special at a local engineers because the banjos on the pit bike slave cylinder are NON standard size.
Clutch arm.JPG

Underneath the clutch lever is the radio
Radio.JPG
which is protected from the elements with a waterproof cover , also from ebay ( look under showers, bathrooms or boats for waterproof radio covers )Under the radio you will see one of the two front mounted speakers , she also sports a pair on the topbox, which are all waterproof and clear enough when cruising at 60mph.
Backrest.JPG

The luggage was the easiest to convert. I needed to weld a new lug to allow one of the top bolts to align properly , one of them ( the front) was perfectly aligned. I used a straight length of 1inch by 1/8 mild steel strip which I welded to the underside of the original frame and simply drilled new holes to allow the bags to bolt in place. The top box simply bolted to the top-box frame after making another small strip and welding that in place .
Side of Wing.JPG
Rear of Wing.JPG

I know the bike will upset the purist out there but this bike is ridden all year round .These conversions were done in order to make the machine much more practical .Oh and one more thing , the screen is lower than standard because I find the standard height an absolute pain in winter because it crosses my eyeline . I did not cut the top down on the screen but removed material from the bottom and drilled new holes. This makes for a neater job then trying to reshape the top edge. I used the aluminium strip to hide the cut edge.
Whenever I am parked up people comment on how good she looks which always makes me feel proud. So far nobody has noticed the conversions unless I mention it . Not bragging or playing my own fiddle :fiddle: but isn`t that how it should be done and not made to look "home made" ?

dan filipi":28v6q0dl said:
David, the shocks on an '84 1200 are 13 3/4" inches bolt center to bolt center fully extended.

Thanks - They look to be about 1 inch longer than the 1100. I will try to locate a pair over the next few weeks and hopefully this will sort out the grounding problem I am having

David Mantle":3sux9xf2 said:
I know the bike will upset the purist out there but this bike is ridden all year round .These conversions were done in order to make the machine much more practical .
David, take a look around here and you will see that we are not exactly purists! :read: :grin:
Many of us have done the same thing to make our bikes work for us without re-engineering everything. We are only trying to keep our bikes on the road safely and comfortably! :good:

mcgovern61":3fhboa4c said:
David Mantle":3fhboa4c said:
I know the bike will upset the purist out there but this bike is ridden all year round .These conversions were done in order to make the machine much more practical .
David, take a look around here and you will see that we are not exactly purists! :read: :grin:
Many of us have done the same thing to make our bikes work for us without re-engineering everything. We are only trying to keep our bikes on the road safely and comfortably! :good:

Here, Here!

mcgovern61":14cm5y7m said:
David Mantle":14cm5y7m said:
Thanks - you seem like a man after my own heart :salute:

AWSOME job Dave,
first, welcome to CGW.
great to see some of the 1200's parts working for you.
I have aftermarket exhaust on my bike, and when I got the bike it had short drop mounts that let the exhaust down about an inch in the mount.
since the center stand stops are on the exhaust this made the center stand drag or bottom while we were 2up.
since then I have removed the drops, it brings the exhaust closer the the bottom of the bags, but still clearence, and now I can drag the floorboards when turning.

Latest posts