New Member in Tennessee

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The front suspension is something I just learned a bit about myself. It's called a leading link suspension and at one time was the standard for some motorcycles. For sidecar use it is suppose to reduce trail making it easier to steer. Whoever set up the rig originally went all out, the leading link front end is 'Unit' a company in the U.K. and costs a bit over two grand new. The rear wheel is custom built 15" intended for a car tire, I haven't crawled under to discover the maker but the wheel is also supposedly a couple grand new.

Edited to add - those are the original Comstars in the chair, along with the original front forks. The front wheel is an alloy, I believe from an '82 Goldwing.

Hi Master Sgt Phil....I think you found a very sweet rig! I like the upgrades and it looks like about $3k worth of them plus a very aerodynamic sidecar....that is going to be a very fun ride...glad to have you with us and the pix are appreciated.

Good riding and if I can offer any sidecar help please just ask. I ride a hack exclusively and have for the last 10 years or so.

Happy trails,
Brian

Very nice rig indeed! :clapping:

I am looking at the tread on the front tire.....(I could be wrong) but it appears to be mounted on the wheel backwards (tread going in the wrong direction). That is only my opinion.....It can be checked. There should be an arrow on the sidewall showing the direction of rotation. It appears the tread would not shed water correctly running in that direction.

That front tire should be able to be replaced with a Metzler Block K sidecar tire also...that is what I run on mine....I have the rear wheel conversion to 15" car tire but my front end wears a K and the sidecar also wears a K...they last a whole lot longer with the flat tread and being made for that purpose. I would probably wear out what you have but then research the K...
Brian

I have a heard riding the bike solo with a leading link front end is dangerous.
Is that true, Brian?

I have never tried it Dan, so do not know first hand. I would think it would make the bike pretty quick in the steering. I have heard the same thing, tho.

My first sidecar rig was a 1966 BMW R50 with a Spirit eagle and the bike came stock with a leading link front end known as an Earles front end. As I remember, (which is a bit of a crap shoot, lol) It had two holes for the axle so you could use the forward one for sidecaring and the after one for soloing. Since I was ignorant about rigging the hack properly, I did not like riding it so I took the sidecar off, moved the axle back and rode it solo as long as I owned it.

Hope that helps....
Brian

Actually as I think about it, I don't think the axle itself moved, but the place that the down tubes attached had a couple holes....anyhoo....sumpin like that....

Way back in the dark ages (60's) it was not that uncommen to see bikes with leading link fronts as they gave you more suspension than the fork tubes with 4" of travel. There deaw back was they were heavier, and in the dirt that was trouble. Though the side hacks continued to them. I remember when the Europeans came ro race side hacks in our Sreambles they had leading link fronts on there machines and the hack was nothing more than a flat platforn that the monkey used to balance the machine and keep it from tipping over. ( Yes the MONKEY was the man that rode the side car and moved from the back of the driver to the outer rail on the hack to keep the hack on the ground.) :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :music2: :music2:

those races were the neatess to watch i thought only had the peasure once to see it ....it was great ...the monkeys were quite talented and most certainly brave ...the way they got there heads so close to the track ...what a vision that must be at racing speed right next to the other guys

Latest posts