Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P51

Reaction score
My Bike Models
GW 1800
Hi, after riding 20 years my GW never had time to join this community. Obviously its never too late. :)

i need some help. I’m in process to export one GW to Germany. I’ve been asked by the German DMV ( TUV)) to provide the SAE/DOT numbers for the exhaust and the headlights. Unfortunately I can’t find neither nor on my bike. I’m trying to upload a pic but have to figure out how to do(Newbie) The pic from Germany shows where its supposed to be located on the exhaust. But not on mine its it has still the original pipes.
Can anybody help? Thanks inadvance

IMG_5460.png

Attachments

• IMG_5460.png
    IMG_5460.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Hi maybe if the head light doesn't show the correct numbers you could always put a new light in there they are after that E number , not sure what you mean with the sae and dot do you mean power output, do you have classic bike registration over there , cheaper ? , most of that stuff won't matter ? Take a pic in of your exaust numbers anyway Cheers

I posted the pic from a German GW pipe. If you enlarge the pic you can read part of what they are looking for.

Where was the bike from that the exhaust pic came from , I know on mine, I have replaced a substantial amount of metal , not sure if those numbers would be there either , have you got bike wreckers , Germany has a lot of parts , buy a stuffed muffler if you can find one or a different type with known numbers that they will like , and cut out a good size square around it , and fit it into your muffler flush weld and sand off , do a good job and paint .

I suggest submitting photos of what they want, regardless of what you have. Are they going to visually inspect the bike in that great of detail at customs regardless of what you submit on paper? Don't give them any task of 'allowing' anything outside of what they want. Bureaucrats don't know, or care, about reality, only what they are told to allow or not allow. Although your one motorcycle isn't going to amount to a fart in a hailstorm, bureaucrats don't differentiate a private owner of one vehicle from a manufacturer importing tens of thousands. to them, rules are rules are rules, and their insignificance or irrelevance only makes them more rigid when anything deviates from their "standards". I suspect every lying-ass government will be attempting to outlaw any form of useful transportation possible in the next 20-25 years, regardless of reality.
Only 10 States in the U.S. even have vehicle safety inspections, opting for "emissions" testing that is tied directly to the vehicle licensing. They don't care about the actual reliability or integrity of a vehicle, just a bureaucratic standard they can use to bludgeon more money out of you with.
I sound bitter and disillusioned, don't I, lol!

I know it sounds excessive, but I have found from experience that a good arsenal of acceptable documentation goes a long way in dealing with bureaucrats. They will tell you what they 'must' have, so you find a way to provide it. Don't ask them how, because they don't have a clue. Don't tell them how, either, because they don't want to know. Knowledge imparts responsibility, and that's the last thing any government worker wants. They just want to get paid for 'doing their job' without reality complicating things. So you just have to make it as easy as possible for them.

Last edited:

Latest posts