New (prospect) builder in the online 1100 MC

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joedrum":1n7cfykv said:
welcome bigdub you and me sound a like ...glad you found us .... :mrgreen:

gee ijust look over at my avitar and i went from advanced member to senior ....is this a promotion or being sent out to pasture... :headscratch: :nea: :heat: :rant: :ahem: :mrgreen:
Better be prepared.Next star could be retirement in florida.You should ask Dan just in case. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

BigDub":2ntbmtev said:
littlebeaver":2ntbmtev said:
Welcome Sir from Kansas City Kansas, I'm looking forward to seeing your work...You found a great site here. :grin:

Been cruising thru the tech forums which are greatly indepth. Looking forward to reassembling the case tomorrow. Debating whether to try cutting out my own head gaskets. i plan to test fire by new year's or shortly thereafter. Will gladly post the operational pics as soon as she's a bona fide complete and running rebuild.

It's starting to get exciting for me again. i can remember when i first realized she was locked-up. so far it's been a fun challenge but, that moment was kind of a bummer. i feel like the Honda engineering will bring me through with a smile inspite of all the deep rust that had to be rebuilt around.

I didn't know you had to split the case. Was locked up bad eh?

What all did you have to do?

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Bigdub!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Sounds like you've got yer hands full there! Kewl deal! :good:

dan filipi":2xjhhzu2 said:
BigDub":2xjhhzu2 said:
littlebeaver":2xjhhzu2 said:
Welcome Sir from Kansas City Kansas, I'm looking forward to seeing your work...You found a great site here. :grin:

Been cruising thru the tech forums which are greatly indepth. Looking forward to reassembling the case tomorrow. Debating whether to try cutting out my own head gaskets. i plan to test fire by new year's or shortly thereafter. Will gladly post the operational pics as soon as she's a bona fide complete and running rebuild.

It's starting to get exciting for me again. i can remember when i first realized she was locked-up. so far it's been a fun challenge but, that moment was kind of a bummer. i feel like the Honda engineering will bring me through with a smile inspite of all the deep rust that had to be rebuilt around.

I didn't know you had to split the case. Was locked up bad eh?

What all did you have to do?

0. Removed cylinder heads to inspect/ Locked up cylinders noted.
1. Broke the rust bonding in the pistons (2 of the four were pretty corroded) with 25 good licks from a rubber mallet. I'm 6'4" 240 and broke a light sweat.
2. Removed the motor from the frame.
3. At this point I was hoping to find that all the damage was done and try reassembly.
4. Disassembled the pulse generator/timing advancer (just to be on the safe side.) More rust noted and it was locked up too. Rebuilt it repacked and replaced three 1/8" ball bearings that had nicks from the rust damage. This probably was an "overkill" since i repacked with new grease and eliminated all rust but, with the "while I'm this far mentality" I plowed forth.
5. Decided to break the case for further internal inspection after noting rust obscured the timing marks on the fly wheel.
6. Removed the pistons to rebuild/clean out the ring depressions/indents/oil ports. Did this by hand to avoid leaving any glass bead residue in the rod piston junction.
6b. Broke one ring in this process so ordered one ring kit to replace this individual ring set. (looking forward to any difference in compression to that cylinder.
7. Taped over oil ports in the main shaft after all pistons removed and bead blasted/polished all rust from the flywheel.
8. While waiting for the rings to ship, I broke the carbs down(totally) butterflies removed and went work on 'em with a pair of pliers a couple gallons of muriatic acid, a small bottle of CLR, and some homemade guitar strings. There projectile puking through every oriface and all back together. bead polished them too....just so all the pits from rust/deposit damage shows up nice like craters on a full moon.

There was water in the floor of the garage this weekend from all the rain, so, i took the weekend off to rest and review the reassembly instructions. About all I did was test my oil pumps....THEY WORK GREAT!!! :music2:The running plan is to throw the guts back in seal the case and test a head gasket reusing/rebuild process to see if it'll work. Why $50 more bucks for a new set of head gaskets has me thinking twice at this point is something that has me scratching my own head. I guess I'm in a contest with ground floor pricing for no good reason.

These are the as-yet futile endeavors of a "mad goldwing scientist."

20 December 2010

thewhiterhino":156j9uns said:
Hi BigDub,
Welcome from Colorful Colorado.....
:yahoo: :party: :yahoo:

Thank you Sir!

:help:

Anybody reading this know where a fella could scratch up a #3 float bowl for GL1100 carbs. The bowl with the fuel diaphragm? I'm allergic to retail!

AApple":1xe5lrna said:
Welcome to the CGW Forums, Bigdub!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Sounds like you've got yer hands full there! Kewl deal! :good:

THANKS MAN! Wish this workday could get done faster so, I can get on into the shop. I hope the floor dried off today.

1. Broke the rust bonding in the pistons (2 of the four were pretty corroded) with 25 good licks from a rubber mallet. I'm 6'4" 240 and broke a light sweat.
3. At this point I was hoping to find that all the damage was done and try reassembly.
4. Disassembled the pulse generator/timing advancer (just to be on the safe side.) More rust noted and it was locked up too. Rebuilt it repacked and replaced three 1/8" ball bearings that had nicks from the rust damage. This probably was an "overkill" since i repacked with new grease and eliminated all rust but, with the "while I'm this far mentality" I plowed forth.
5. Decided to break the case for further internal inspection after noting rust obscured the timing marks on the fly wheel.
6. Removed the pistons to rebuild/clean out the ring depressions/indents/oil ports. Did this by hand to avoid leaving any glass bead residue in the rod piston junction.
6b. Broke one ring in this process so ordered one ring kit to replace this individual ring set. (looking forward to any difference in compression to that cylinder.
7. Taped over oil ports in the main shaft after all pistons removed and bead blasted/polished all rust from the flywheel.
8. While waiting for the rings to ship, I broke the carbs down(totally) butterflies removed and went work on 'em with a pair of pliers a couple gallons of muriatic acid, a small bottle of CLR, and some homemade guitar strings. There projectile puking through every oriface and all back together. bead polished them too....just so all the pits from rust/deposit damage shows up nice like craters on a full moon.

There was water in the floor of the garage this weekend from all the rain, so, i took the weekend off to rest and review the reassembly instructions. About all I did was test my oil pumps....THEY WORK GREAT!!! :music2:The running plan is to throw the guts back in seal the case and test a head gasket reusing/rebuild process to see if it'll work. Why $50 more bucks for a new set of head gaskets has me thinking twice at this point is something that has me scratching my own head. I guess I'm in a contest with ground floor pricing for no good reason.

Carl62cycles Wrote:
Thanks for sharing these projects BigDub Hope you took some pics to share with us :beg: .Hey ....(joeDrum)..... have you read the last sentence from BigDub :mrgreen: .You're not alone :yes: anymore.There's two of you now :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:.No Kidding..... Thanks guys for your commitment to wrenching :thank_you: :thank_you: :thank_you: :thank_you:

carl62cycles":5b3w2bll said:

Carl62cycles Wrote:
Thanks for sharing these projects BigDub Hope you took some pics to share with us :beg: .Hey ....(joeDrum)..... have you read the last sentence from BigDub :mrgreen: .You're not alone :yes: anymore.There's two of you now :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:.No Kidding..... Thanks guys for your commitment to wrenching :thank_you: :thank_you: :thank_you: :thank_you:

I try to wash my hands or take of the latex and snap a shot every so often through this rebuild. I know I have over 1000 shots so far and have no hang-ups about posting them other than time and format. They're 8megapixel DroidX(cell phone pics). I knew there were a lot and am planning to start an uploading party sometime on my trip to TN later this week but when I grouped them all together, i never realized there would be that many. We may have to make a CGW repair/maintenance manual someday.

Many pics to follow soon........ :good:

BigDub":1ylkrsch said:
Five":1ylkrsch said:
Welcome from the right coast!!! :grin:

thanks man! what ya don't have any medical marijuana there yet? LOL
The Libertarian in me says "Legalize it", and the conservative in me says "Tax it". The Constitutionalist in me asks where the federal government gets off thinking they have any right to outlaw it in the first place. Now, I think my glaucoma is acting up...

Five":97nhnge4 said:
BigDub":97nhnge4 said:
Five":97nhnge4 said:
Welcome from the right coast!!! :grin:

thanks man! what ya don't have any medical marijuana there yet? LOL
The Libertarian in me says "Legalize it", and the conservative in me says "Tax it". The Constitutionalist in me asks where the federal government gets off thinking they have any right to outlaw it in the first place. Now, I think my glaucoma is acting up...

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

slabghost":3uak6dme said:
How attractive would that stuff be taxed at 800+% like tobacco? $63.49 for 1 brownie!

About as attractive, cost-effective, as trying to move to a new planet. :smilie_happy:

Or as attractive as trying to clear your idle jet circuit by consulting a priest. :swoon:

BigDub":2i7ocxv3 said:
slabghost":2i7ocxv3 said:
How attractive would that stuff be taxed at 800+% like tobacco? $63.49 for 1 brownie!

About as attractive, cost-effective, as trying to move to a new planet. :smilie_happy:

Or as attractive as trying to clear your idle jet circuit by consulting a priest. :swoon:
One of the biggest arguments against legalization is the inability to control personal production, but I argue that all the stoners that I have known are not a particularly industrious group and would likely rather buy it than bother growing their own.

Five":1rqr1u3c said:
BigDub":1rqr1u3c said:
slabghost":1rqr1u3c said:

One of the biggest arguments against legalization is the inability to control personal production, but I argue that all the stoners that I have known are not a particularly industrious group and would likely rather buy it than bother growing their own.
I have no need for it anymore because of 04 simple words:

I BELIEVE IN ZOLOFT.