New (prospect) builder in the online 1100 MC

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Stockton, CA.
Just got my first Goldwing running a few weeks back. Got a no start 80 GL1100i for $600. Has just over 30,000 miles. Cleaned some connections to fix "no spark". Re-installed the fuel pump inlet check valve (was laying on the pump diaphragm inside pump - a strange find) and it started right up! Drained the gas tank, added 4 oz of Sea Foam to 4 gal. of Premium fuel and it sounds better every time I start her up. Only took the Wing for a couple of very short rides around the neighborhood till I can trust her. This Summer maybe we can get together for a ride. Some other members live up in No.Cal. too. You got quite the project going on. Looking forward to pictures and completion of your project. This forum is the best I found for for the Classics. Good information and nice folks here too.
Again, welcome. Hope all have had a good year and a better one to follow.

aslatk":3mhv562i said:
Just got my first Goldwing running a few weeks back. Got a no start 80 GL1100i for $600. Has just over 30,000 miles. Cleaned some connections to fix "no spark". Re-installed the fuel pump inlet check valve (was laying on the pump diaphragm inside pump - a strange find) and it started right up! Drained the gas tank, added 4 oz of Sea Foam to 4 gal. of Premium fuel and it sounds better every time I start her up. Only took the Wing for a couple of very short rides around the neighborhood till I can trust her. This Summer maybe we can get together for a ride. Some other members live up in No.Cal. too. You got quite the project going on. Looking forward to pictures and completion of your project. This forum is the best I found for for the Classics. Good information and nice folks here too.

Yeah dude! Definately riding in the New Year. I've got a couple buddies in Sac that ride but always looking for new riders. Sounds like you've got yourself a running Wing there. Sounds like somebody did a poor job of installing that check valvef. Good catch. Did the previous owner give you a heads up on the fuel pump. I've been informed over the holiday that I have to hone my cylinders before reinstalling my pistons. More homework before a trial by fire. Keep in touch. Maybe we could put together a Memorial Day ride for NorCal Goldenwingers?

I'm thinking I should probably start posting a few pics. So, without further adieu....The following are of the bike as received by purchase locked-up on the side of my garage as well as some before after shots of the carbs. After I hone the cylinders with the drill press, I'll post some more of the engine rebuild process.

Attachments

• 2010-08-14_19-08-36_312.jpg
    2010-08-14_19-08-36_312.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 92
xxxxxx

Attachments

• 1292226401905.jpg
    1292226401905.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 84
  • imported December 2 2010 342.jpg
    imported December 2 2010 342.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 2010-12-12_23-46-23_263.jpg
    2010-12-12_23-46-23_263.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 89
  • imported December 2 2010 340.jpg
    imported December 2 2010 340.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 2010-12-12_23-45-56_242.jpg
    2010-12-12_23-45-56_242.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 88
  • imported December 2 2010 332.jpg
    imported December 2 2010 332.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 87
Below are some views of the cylinders with pistons after breaking the bonded pistons free with a rubber mallet.

Attachments

• imported December 2 2010 398.jpg
    imported December 2 2010 398.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 133
  • imported December 2 2010 400.jpg
    imported December 2 2010 400.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 134
  • imported December 2 2010 686.jpg
    imported December 2 2010 686.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 133
  • imported December 2 2010 399.jpg
    imported December 2 2010 399.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 129
  • imported December 2 2010 395.jpg
    imported December 2 2010 395.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 131
BigDub":392ynxpb said:
aslatk":392ynxpb said:

Yeah dude! Definately riding in the New Year. I've got a couple buddies in Sac that ride but always looking for new riders. Sounds like you've got yourself a running Wing there. Sounds like somebody did a poor job of installing that check valvef. Good catch. Did the previous owner give you a heads up on the fuel pump. I've been informed over the holiday that I have to hone my cylinders before reinstalling my pistons. More homework before a trial by fire. Keep in touch. Maybe we could put together a Memorial Day ride for NorCal Goldenwingers?
The guy I bought the bike from said it just stopped running one day. Had some friends look at it who were into dirt racing and they thought it was the ignitors. I cant figure out why someone would take the inlet check valve out and not put it back in. No way could it come out on its own. No mention of a fuel delivery problem at all. Maybe one of his "friends" who looked at it wanted to pick it up cheap (sabotage?) How did you come across your project? Is this your first project of this magnitude? nice pictures by the way.
:good:

BigDub":2j650c6p said:
Below are some views of the cylinders with pistons after breaking the bonded pistons free with a rubber mallet.
WOW :eek: .Hope you can get away with honing them and not boring those jugs.Had bad experience sending my block to bore some years back.Seeing the carbs done I can imagine a good outcome on these jugs too.Hey you were 1 day earlier to post your pictures then promised :mrgreen: :good:

:hi:Welcome BigDub I am in Citrus Heights JUST UP THE FREEWAY FROM YOU basically to the right of the weigh scales before you get to Roseville....I AGREE WITH YOUR COMMENT ABOUT RIDING AROUND THE FOOTHILLS AND VALLY.. DO IT ALL THE TIME... am trying to do a restoration on an 82 wing and keep an 80 running, but keep getting delayed by having to replace heads on my van and helping family keep their vehicals running as well as trying to work part time.. look forward to meeting you and maybe do some rides Bob

:fiddle:

Meet my 1100cc coffee table! My first honing experience was an epic failure but, I do now have some great experience plus the baddest living room in Sacramento.

The 81 is now a parts donor until I come across a motor. Anyone know if a 1000 engine will mate with 1100 carbs?

Attachments

• 2011-01-10_19-26-49_843.jpg
    2011-01-10_19-26-49_843.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 109
BigDub":dapsypno said:

Meet my 1100cc coffee table! My first honing experience was an epic failure but, I do now have some great experience plus the baddest living room in Sacramento.

The 81 is now a parts donor until I come across a motor. Anyone know if a 1000 engine will mate with 1100 carbs?
They should mate with no problem......Now perfomance wise you would have to ask DR. FRANKENWING aka mr joedrum :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: They do have subtle differences between them.
So a honning gone wrong :headscratch: .I sent my block to bore cylinders about 5 years ago and had a bore gone wrong.The funny thing was that the guy who did it told me it was allright to put everything back in :doh: :smilie_happy: yeah allright if I wanted grated piston on my spaghettis instead of cheese :smilie_happy: .I still have that Block.Will take a picture someday to delight all the members on CGW.But I really dig that table..no kidding :yes: .Used to work in a shop were we had half pistons used as an ashtrays :rocks: Good old days :yahoo: .Nowadays I think we are not allowed to smoke at the beach :smilie_happy: .Second hand smoke is bad for the fish and birdies around. :smilie_happy: .You could try boring the cylinders but you'll need oversized pistons of course.That will run around $700.00 if you can find them and someone willing to bore those jugs (good luck with that).

HEY joedrum ......you know you got a fan here :salute: .

BigDub":2wycuh2v said:

I have an '81 engine that is currently being worked on. It is a high mileage engine that needs the valve springs replaced and some top end clean up. Too bad I live in NJ, shipping out West is about $250.

BigDub":1h8zn2qi said:

yep no problem. And the 1000 motor should do very nicely in the 81. :good:

bigdudb ithought i posted here yesterday i must of clicked the wrong spot...anyway the 1000 in a 1980 wing is a great switch as it changes the gearing to a real hyway burner .....atleast one gear taller at about 3600 rpm at 70mph with your standard this makes some get down the quickly gearing .....my mongruel was set up this way and it was like a different bike all together .....iwas great not having to shift gears haft way through a left turn at an intersection :mrgreen:

the 1100 carbs will work fine on the 1000....

this is about as plug and go as possible......if i was in possition id do it as my first option cause of the gearing change :mrgreen: