New Tires

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:shock: Daaang!!! Kinda pricey, no?
Finding one the correct size is the problem, I think... :headscratch:

AApple":wcpepa1c said:
:shock: Daaang!!! Kinda pricey, no?
Finding one the correct size is the problem, I think... :headscratch:

Yea True... I didnt look at all the sizes but i did notice some of the prices :lol:

thanks Andrew.i called all of them on the links you sent.no more maxxis,thay just havent taken then off the web page yet.but Troy had said some thing about tire paint made just for white walls,i need to put new shoes on the old girl so im thinking to give it a try on the old tires first.thanks for the help :beer:

scratch99":1l27xq6q said:
thanks Andrew.i called all of them on the links you sent.no more maxxis,thay just havent taken then off the web page yet.but Troy had said some thing about tire paint made just for white walls,i need to put new shoes on the old girl so im thinking to give it a try on the old tires first.thanks for the help :beer:

Your Welcome... No ProblemO :salute:

About to start a nifty "Tire" thread but I didn't because searching.
I just got my GL and went through the same tire research process:
Nice tread, wrong size....
Oh, radials, wrong size...
Right size! lame tread, bias ply...
Quit in frustration, happy hour...
Try again next day

Here is what I settled on,
Screen Shot 2013-06-09 at 10.20.24 PM.png

$125 front
$140 rear
Free shipping to boot!
I really wanted the raised white letters or the choice would have been Metzeler ME880s

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6494#p6494:1w1tew83 said:
BigAndrew » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:16 pm[/url]":1w1tew83]I paid a shop to change the tires and bearing and boy... WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
The bike likes to lean very easy side to side, Feels like its 200 pounds lighter when im leaning at slow and high speeds

Before when i would make a slow sharp to semi sharp turn there was alot of weight being pressed back on the handle bars, Specially when i would go down this spiral exit in the parking garage at the airport, It was a left hand turn constantly down 4 floors so i would have to press pretty hard on the left handle bar to keep it from turning the handle bar all the way in

And now it takes 1/4 of the effort, I think part of the reason was my old front tire had very bad ware spots from me riding it with the front tire too low for a long time, And another reason is that the new tire is a size wider and 2 size smaller profile ratio and also is a radial instead of bias ply

This is partially the result of going up a size (150) for the same rim with a radial. The wider bead gets pinched onto the rim more. The center of the tire folds more. The result is a 'steeper' tire, lighter quicker lean-in, and a slightly reduced high-speed straight line stability.

Anyway, it's been 3 years now and I'm rehashing this worthy topic. How have/did they hold up over time? What did you replace them with?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84402#p84402:2z8gryy4 said:
TychoRVT » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:28 pm[/url]":2z8gryy4]About to start a nifty "Tire" thread but I didn't
I started one the other day and would appreciate all contributions to the new thread and leaving this one as a 3year old thread :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84410#p84410:3sdosvci said:
Omega Man » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:04 pm[/url]":3sdosvci]I miss BigAndrew. :blush:

~O~

I wonder how he made out with the Spitfire's most guys I talk to are not pleased with them after a while.

Seems im having a hard time reading the numbers on the side of this tire....its time for a new one but i want to make sure im getting the right size....the 1983 GL1100 takes a 140/90 16 right?