Newbie in Swindon, UK

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairymonster

Reaction score
My Bike Models
'79 GL1000
Hello Peeps,

I have just bought this 1979 GL1000. I'm getting it next week. I know it's exempt from MOT, but I shall get one anyway. It's had quite a lot of money spent in the last few years - regulator and rectifier and other things. It does run and was ridden to the bike dealer. I haven't been able to ride it yet, though have always wanted one.

I am worried about the effects of high-ethanol petrol on the carbs. Happy to put E5 premum fuel in it - should there be an additive put in as well?

Also - any other old Wing owners in the vicinity?

I ride a Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer which I like v much - actually weighs more than the Wing! With the Wing, I shall see how I get on with it, and if it's up to being my main bike, I'll probably sell the Crosstourer. If I can't get on with it, I shall flog it.

Cheers - HM

wing1.jpg

Welcome. Some of us, and I'm one of them, add 1 oz. of ATF per gal. of gas, or roughly 1/4 oz. per liter. ATF is high in detergency and helps prevent a gummy build up in the carbs. I've been doing this for years without problems.

Hello Peeps,

I have just bought this 1979 GL1000. I'm getting it next week. I know it's exempt from MOT, but I shall get one anyway. It's had quite a lot of money spent in the last few years - regulator and rectifier and other things. It does run and was ridden to the bike dealer. I haven't been able to ride it yet, though have always wanted one.

I am worried about the effects of high-ethanol petrol on the carbs. Happy to put E5 premum fuel in it - should there be an additive put in as well?

Also - any other old Wing owners in the vicinity?

I ride a Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer which I like v much - actually weighs more than the Wing! With the Wing, I shall see how I get on with it, and if it's up to being my main bike, I'll probably sell the Crosstourer. If I can't get on with it, I shall flog it.

Cheers - HM

View attachment 50551
HI. I'm from the UK and ride a 78 (I am on the south coast a long way from Swindon) I ride it all year round but in the winter months you can easily go a month without a good day to go out and I definitely found that you could tell the E5 was going off. I went the Stabil Marine Fuel Stabilizer route and it seemed to make a significant difference to me when the bike had been standing for a few weeks. Its cheap and easy to get off of Ebay. (I went the Marine route thinking that it was probably better suited to protecting fuel from water absorption than the other variants - it seemed a key consideration given I live on the coast)

Latest posts