Oil Screen?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les

Reaction score
Hi All! was just looking through my Clymer, noticed that our bikes have an oil screen. What is the purpose of this? I,ve had my 82 interstate for 20 yrs and never done a service on this. Looks to be in an awkward spot. What do you,s do with this? Thanks Les.

I did not know we had oil screens :shock: I know on autos these are to keep sludge,and stuff from getting into the oil pump,and circulating thru the oil system.And anytime I've had to replace a oil pump.It has to be cleaned.I havent looked at a manual.How hard would it be to get too?

It,s on the right side, looks like you have to loosen an engine mount bolt to get at it.

Same purpose...helps keep some of the larger chunks of doo-doo(hi-tek terminology) out of the oil pump, and system. You do have to (gently)pry the frame out a bit to get the cover bolts off, so you can clean the screen, but some folks here have stated that they go back with shorter bolts, and it's much easier to take off after that.

Thanks for the info & pictures Re: oil screen! I,ve got engine side covers & floor boards on mine, lots of stuff to remove to get there. Looks like a winter project. lol. Like I say I,ve owned the bike for 20 yrs. & never ever serviced that, bet I,m not the only one!! How often should the screan be cleaned? (every 20 yrs. or so. lol) Wonder if an engine flush would clean it up? Have a nice day! Les.

Actually, they do not need nor should not need to be cleaned that often. Most of the time it is from bikes sitting and engine parts that get gummy or oil that doesn't get changed often enough and sludges up. The screen also catches bits of carbon from floating around in the oil and mine caught some real cute shiny slivers of metal! :shock:

The book says to clean it if clutch material ever comes loose from the plates, though how clutch pieces can get to the crankcase the way the case is made is beyond me.

I did have 2 times it needed cleaning after using Purolator filters.
2 times, both within a hundred miles the oil light started to flicker at idle. Both times I found the pickup screen plugged with a fine fiber.
Changed back to Fram filter no more problem.

Thanks Dan & Gerry: The rideing season is almost to an end up here, the temp to-day was plus 5 celcius, going up to 11 on Sunday, that will probably be my last ride! (maybe) Think I will remove the chrome & boards over the winter & clean the screen just to see what it looks like after all those yrs. of neglect. Just to say I done it once! I love this site! Nice people and lots of help & information. Had a problem with my rear brakes in the summer, you all were very helpful and pointed me in the direction of the rear MC return port clogging up. Problem solved! Brakes work like new now! I never would of figured that out. Thanks again!!! Les.

Latest posts