One Last Thing Before Winter Hits Michigan

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simbaboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

'been riding nice and slow and really enjoying my last few rides on my 82 GL1100. The KLR650 and my Kawasaki Concours are getting a break as I begin "to smell the roses"!

The bike has an new coat of paint (flat black), new AGM battery from ebay ($55), new plugs, air filter, Rotella T6, etc and the bike is running quite well. Most recent MPG was 38 and probably higher now with the slower speeds. The front brake pads are new as well.

I recently chopped off the seat hump which was locking me too close to the 'tank' and flattened it with the new foam. Much more comfortable and my knees and hips appreciate the SUV feel of the bike. I am sitting up more erect and higher.

The last issue that needs fixing is the neutral light bulb does not light up and the clutch has to be pulled in even in neutral to start the bike. How to address this issue. I hear cleaning/replacing the neutral switch is a big job. Tell me what you think.

Thanks
Simba

Seat mod sounds good to me. I'm not sure what's going on with the neutral light though. Did you check the bulb? If it works there may be a minor issue with the switch.

82-83 are a little easier to get to, but I have no experience with those years. This thread has some information on the neutral switch and other things to check/renew while you're in there. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=257

I'd check/trace the wiring first. Could be a broken (cut) wire.

slabghost":2f5lkh9d said:
Seat mod sounds good to me. I'm not sure what's going on with the neutral light though. Did you check the bulb? If it works there may be a minor issue with the switch.

The seat cover had an ugly tear and it needed replacement anyways. I got a nice 1 yard of marine vinyl heavy duty from Joann Fabric ($18/yd) which is plenty for 1 seat. It was an easy project. I then placed a Walmart ATV pad and its comfortable as heck.

How to access the Neutral light bulb?

Thanks
Simba

Look down between the light panel and gages you'll see tiny philips head screws that will allow the panel cover to be removed.

dan filipi":nzat2eqo said:
The switch problem is usually the reverse, stays on while in gear.
Have you tried grounding the neutral switch wire to see if the light comes on?
I'd start there.

Hello Dan and Everybody
After finding access to the bulbs (thanks guys) I replaced the bulb and no light.
Then I grounded the Neutral Switch wire and the light came on.
Does this mean the switch has gone bad and needs replacement?
Thanks
Simba

could be the wire to the switch is broken or disconnected. Check that and check the switch terminal in neutral. Ohms test terminal to ground. Should be continuity.

slabghost":2lfpyltr said:
could be the wire to the switch is broken or disconnected. Check that and check the switch terminal in neutral. Ohms test terminal to ground. Should be continuity.

I identified the neutral switch wire which when grounded let the bulb light up.
Please let me know what I need to do next as I don't understand your suggestion. I appreciate your help in trying to help me, but it sounds like I may need to get some electronic tool?

Even when in Neutral I still have to pull the clutch in to engage the starter---does this point to something else or is it part of the same problem?

Thanks
Simba

Tory":29gp0c05 said:
Dont be so quick to put them to sleep.
Love to see PICs of that connie.I keep saying I would like a 1000 someday.

here is the Connie that almost got me a ticket. But the experience also woke me up to relax and remember why I ride. Its a very nice bike.
Thanks
SImba

Attachments

• c10-1photo.JPG
    c10-1photo.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 108
On the 82 1100 isn't the neutral switch inside the front cover?
If so then maybe it wasn't engaged properly during a water pump replacement to the little fork that moves the switch.

dan filipi":2kf5oo7u said:
On the 82 1100 isn't the neutral switch inside the front cover?
If so then maybe it wasn't engaged properly during a water pump replacement to the little fork that moves the switch.

Yes it is and quite a job to get to.
So is there any other way to check the wiring in addition to grounding the neutral switch wire (which did light the bulb).
If it is my Neutral switch that is bad or was not aligned up correctly then I am going to let it be. It bothers me not to see the Neutral indicator light up, but not enough to take the radiator off, the front engine cover off, fix the switch, replace gaskets, etc.
Thanks all
Simba

simbaboy":2kd7w3kh said:
slabghost":2kd7w3kh said:

The seat cover had an ugly tear and it needed replacement anyways. I got a nice 1 yard of marine vinyl heavy duty from Joann Fabric ($18/yd) which is plenty for 1 seat. It was an easy project. I then placed a Walmart ATV pad and its comfortable as heck.

How to access the Neutral light bulb?

Thanks
Simba

here is a pic of the seat and bike after seat reshape and cover. I also placed an ATV seat cover on top of the new seat to make it even more comfy.
Simba

Attachments

• nl4photo.JPG
    nl4photo.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 119
  • nl3photo.JPG
    nl3photo.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 114
While the wire is grounded and the neutral lamp is lit, will the starter button activate the starter (without pulling the clutch?) If so that verifies your wiring to the starter and neutral diode are OK. Also points to neutral switch problem.

Fix it over the winter (when you can't ride) or live with it?

Looking closer (no experience) I think the earlier GL neutral switch may be easier to replace.

roncar":3uiudahm said:
While the wire is grounded and the neutral lamp is lit, will the starter button activate the starter (without pulling the clutch?) If so that verifies your wiring to the starter and neutral diode are OK. Also points to neutral switch problem.

Looking closer (no experience) I think the earlier GL neutral switch may be easier to replace.

Thanks-- I will try this in the AM tomorrow. I hope its not the switch itself as my search on Google makes it sound like a big job and probably not worth the effort at this point. Lets see.

When I was young I wanted to become an engineer or a mechanic. I became a Doctor instead (an anesthesiologist). But as I get older I may get my wish and learn a whole lot about wrenching! "Slow and small steps, grasshopper" I tell myself!

simbaboy":2fypo56l said:
roncar":2fypo56l said:

Thanks-- I will try this in the AM tomorrow. I hope its not the switch itself as my search on Google makes it sound like a big job and probably not worth the effort at this point. Lets see.

When I was young I wanted to become an engineer or a mechanic. I became a Doctor instead (an anesthesiologist). But as I get older I may get my wish and learn a whole lot about wrenching! "Slow and small steps, grasshopper" I tell myself!
Working on a neutral switch is no harder than putting in an IV with poor veins!! (You can do it!)