• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parting out 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajclockga

Reaction score
Finally got around to doing a check on the 81.Needs more work than I want to put into it.Has 62k.Is a Florida bike.Have all the parts that came on it except the trunk.Has a set of Bates Hard Bags with the hardware in very good shape.(Bought separately)Lights work,has key.Windshield in decent condition.Has a good fairing,Inner fairing.Seat needs to be recovered.But foam is good.Has a good rear fender.Not sure about the electronics.Has floorboards,Heel-toe shifter.Mirrors are shot,but glass is good.Has a good switch w/Key.Final drive is good,as is the wheels.Speedo and tach are decent.Calipers front and rear,but master cylinders are shot.Handlebars look good,controls are iffy.Tail light and turn signal are decent.No front turn signal.Clutch is good.Throttle cable is shot.Cards will need rebuilt.Tank cover is shot.Side covers are good.Has one side engine cover,was chrome but has been painted.Drive shaft is good.Headlight has some surface rust on the ring.Whatever you need just ask and I'll send pics,or post pics.Starter needs rebuilt.Mufflers are shot,but headers are good.Front forks are good,rear has surface rust.Not sure of the compressor,can test if anyone is interested.Will ship,you can pick up,or will ship by carrier pigeon if its a light enough part.

Bummer when this happens. If you change your mind we'll help what we can. What was the deal breaker?

I got it home and really got to going over it.All the wiring has either been cut or gone.The only wiring left is so bad it brakes in your hand.The starter is shot.The controls are frozen up.It wasn't really one thing.Just all the things.I still plan on buying another.I love these bikes.This one will be a mock up for the parts I have.I'll use it to make the mounts for the batwing fairing, The head light,The drop down rear fender,and to make some forward controls.Also some of the parts I plan on polishing,and powder coating.So this one just makes sure it fits when I find another one.I like the Bates Bates because of the lights.But for the look I'm going for the OEM bags will look a little better.And are easier to find light bars that match.And I really wanted a trunk. Either way I'm looking for a 1100.So it really isn't a waste.What parts I don't sell,I'll have for the next one.

If you were close by I'd be interested in the whole thing. I've seen wiring harnesses on ebay sell for $30 and used starters the same. Too bad you can't get that 1200 too. Most parts interchange.

I've been watching Ebay for floorboards.... how much you need for yours, shipped to York SC :popcorn:

First check the timing belts are both on and complete then.Pull all the plugs and squirt in penetrating oil liberally. Let it sit a few days and then try the starter.

Done already.But with all the other,its basically still parts.Already found another,looking at a 83 aspencade.Running.......Well sort of.Needs a Head Gasket.And a CB750 that needs nothing.Both for 800.

Sounds like a good deal. Head gaskets are not cheap for these bikes. So go through it and be certain that is what you need.

Hansmanbo":2ob42vr7 said:
I've been watching Ebay for floorboards.... how much you need for yours, shipped to York SC :popcorn:
One side is decent.The other is rusted thru under the non slip tape.I'm putting pics in my album

UNSTUCK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I got some time off next week.Might get this rust bucket to crank.Carbs not seized.Engine sat for two days with pb blaster,wasnt even hard to turn.Pulled the valve covers,looks new inside.I get eight weeks off starting Fri.Taking my son hiking on the trail next weekend.So when I get back going to see.Might just get it running and do something wild with it.

Yeah I'm looking forward to hiking the trail.As for the eight weeks off,Well that aint so good.Too close to X-mas.Two weeks are with pay.The rest is pot luck paycheck.And my pot is all rusted out.I knew I'd have atleast 3 all together,possibly 4.Not 8.So I'm going to see if I can find something to tide me over till Jan.I aint good lookin enough to gigilo..... :smilie_happy: So if you happen to go under a overpass and see someone camped out.....it might be me.

Nope.I will be ok.We saved some up for the bike.And were planning on a vaction.We'll just improvise.We'll vacation around the outdoor fireplace......Pretend its tropical....(BUILD BIG FIRE)and I'll put the bike on the back burner,let it simmer till its nice and tender.I've got what I need to get it running already.Just wasnt prepared for the 8 week thing.I havent taken a day off in 3 weeks.Every year we slow down.Time off is usually 2 weeks,3 weeks tops.I look forward to it.So for the past 3 weeks we've been paying up bills,and saving some extra to go to Fla. for a couple weeks.Our oldest daughter lives in Jacksonville.And we enjoy Hwy A-1A south to Daytona.But you no its all good.It's that Murphy guy's fault.Most people have a devil that sits on one shoulder,and a angel on the other.I have murphy on my shoulder,and my wife running me the &^% over with her menestral cycle........... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Yeah this is pretty much a every year thing.I guess with the economy like it is I'm fortunate just to have a job.I've got it pretty good.I work about 6 1/2 hrs a day.My housing,and utilities are furnished.I just got some real odd hrs.I go in at 7:30am and work till 9am.Go back at 10:30,and work till 12:00.Take lunch till 1-1:30.Go back work about an hr.Then I go back in at 5:00 and work till 6.During the afternoon I take care of any service calls I do for myself,but this time of year its very slow.I work 1/8 mile from home.And during down time I still get my rent and utilities.