pidjones winter '18-'19 project - '79 CB750F rat bike "the rocket"

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidjones

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Build thread for any interested is on several CB750 sites and even DTT. But, now that it is about finished, thought I'd put this ove here, too. It isn't really what I enjoy riding. If I were younger, I would hope that I'd have the maturity to tell myself that "you don't have the talent to fully use it safely". It does excite, though!

It was left in the East Tennessee weather since at least '99, and has had several "PO mods" that were downright scarry. Decided to leave its well-earned patina intact. Just pried big chunks of Bondo off the tank, 3 lbs of it out from under the seat cowl, and glued up a new under-cowl piece from busted GoldWing plastic.

e621d329ae82c7d43f63f5b42692e4bd.jpg
4e63952cdab9d7fc42b99df046046e59.jpg

Rode it in to Knoxville last night for Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club meeting. My first time to be at their meeting (and join). Several old GoldWing friends there, and made many new friends. The CB750F ran fine! Only problem noticed was that the idle gets higher and higher as it warms up. I was barely able to get throttle increase from the choke full-out when I did the rebuild. Couldn't find a reason for it, and compared setup to photos in the SeanG document. So, I have to crank the throttle stop up a little to keep it running until really well warmed up then back it down, but seems to continue to creep up after that. I'll do another vacuum leak check soon with it both cold and again after about 20 miles of riding.

Also, mounted (just wedged in above the ignition switch) a cheap ebay digital voltmeter temporarily and connected it to the tail light fuse. Charging system seems great! Running at 14.1 volts over (I think) 3k rpm. Rode home with it turning dark, and headlight was adequate. Might need aimed just a little higher.
93a0685dd80b68d434cde0509ceee143.jpg

Next ebay purchase may be a cheap digital tach. I'm having trouble believing the mechanical tach - seems to be reading high while the speedometer is obviously optimistic by a bunch.

Had one in ment condition it finally got stolen when I was away playing music ...mine was an 82 and black fender with a pretty hump in it like a fender spoiler...I called it the bat bike ...whole time I had it ..it ran flawless and had some huge power ...my thoughts were that it was top heavy ...but must admit at the time I was coming back from a very long illnesss and was very weak all over ....it had Kerker 4 into one exhaust and I was able to get back into biking with it ...had a 79 wing also ...wing rode and handle better for me in my weak state and wings low center of gravity ...love the bike and it s looks though ..the bat bike

Latest posts