Plexiglass windshield?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCSimpson1951

Reaction score
Wrecked my Aspencade last summer. Have been unsucessfully trying to get the fairing repaired or replaced. Can't find anyone who can fix it and have tried to find one on EBAY...no sucess either way. As much as I hate it I am considering putting a plexiglass shield on but need the head light Assembly. Anyone know what parts I need for that. I know I will need the mounting hardware. Just not sure what to look for. Dan offered a fairing several months ago but said it would be a bear to ship it. Thanks Dan....was going to try to get down there to pick it up...but haven't been able to.

By the way I was not able to get in under my old log in so I changed it slightly.

well welcome back anyway... the headlight can be after market with housing and all just got to protect the wiring from the weather.. the fairing weight will need to go also.. how bout getting pics on the breaks and post them.. may have people who know a trick or two and can help you with that project.. either way.. also keep checking Craigslist in the area/state for possible "bike don't run- no title- parting out" postings ... I like my plexifairing 3 I had on my 84 VF 700

Hey thanks for the info Joe..HAve been checking CL daily...also Ebay and found a couple on there over the period of time but they are very hard to get apparently. I have the fairing off. Will get some pics posted. Although there are a few minor cracks on the outside of the fairing the most damage was done to the inside cockpit. It has quite a bit of breakage. The fender was shattered too but did find one of those on Ebay. Not the best condition in the world but mainly needs painting.

Dan can you give me more info on the headlight assembly you have? You had offered me a fairing in the past but said you could not ship it. Thought at that time I could find one locally WRONG!

Thanks to the both of you! :salute:

MCSimpson1951":3iwtt6cq said:
Hey thanks for the info Joe..HAve been checking CL daily...also Ebay and found a couple on there over the period of time but they are very hard to get apparently. I have the fairing off. Will get some pics posted. Although there are a few minor cracks on the outside of the fairing the most damage was done to the inside cockpit. It has quite a bit of breakage. The fender was shattered too but did find one of those on Ebay. Not the best condition in the world but mainly needs painting.

Dan can you give me more info on the headlight assembly you have? You had offered me a fairing in the past but said you could not ship it. Thought at that time I could find one locally WRONG!

Thanks to the both of you! :salute:

Well Imma thinkin putting all the parts together for a shield, headlight bucket, and turn signals, the cost might be as much or more than sending this fairing I have to you.
What do you think, which way would you rather go with it?

Hi again Dan...I would much prefer to go with the fairing. I have always wanted to keep it original...I had even considered taking a trip down there if shipping was an issue for you. Do you have a clue as to how much you want for it + shipping? I was under the impression you did not want to mess with the shipping. Let me know what you think. Pete

Pete, this weekend I'll run my bike over to the shipping place I used for the mufflers, he should be able to tell me cost by sizing up my fairing. I'll post a picture of it also.

How much do you think the fairing weighs?

Hey guys since I have my fairing off the bike I can tell you how much it weighs as soon as I get it back from the guy who said he could get it fixed CHEAP lolol.....may work out fine since he works with me and we have a scale there. May take a couple days to hook up with him...we work different shifts.

Thanks jdgase....working on one with Dan ...hopefully that will work out. Checked the one out that Hoosier Daddy has ...it looks great too. Wonder if that one would fit my '83 Aspencade? Ride safe!

Hey Dan.....I JUST got the fairing back from the guy who had it...( figures he would take last week for vacation) I weighed it and it weighs 35.5 pounds. It does still have the headlight assembly, radio and the guages still in it though...so less than 35 pounds....about 32 pounds I would guess.

MCSimpson1951":7e7o5rgk said:
Hey Dan.....I JUST got the fairing back from the guy who had it...( figures he would take last week for vacation) I weighed it and it weighs 35.5 pounds. It does still have the headlight assembly, radio and the guages still in it though...so less than 35 pounds....about 32 pounds I would guess.

Over the weekend I checked the 2 fairings I have, one stripped to the bone and one with all the radio stuff. Big difference in weight!
I would guess the bare fairing is barely 15 lbs.

Anyway, I did go to the Mail store last Sunday.
These guys are nuts how much they want for shipping.
He said between $130 and $180!

Where can I look for better shipping rates?

LOL..........maybe I should check with UPS ground.....they are the reason we are having this discussion lololol..I have been checking E-bay and some of the fairings on there were from $50.00 to $85.00 I think. There is one that just sold and "Standard shipping rates" were $45.00.....so back to square one!

MCSimpson1951":b0a4fkzc said:
"Standard shipping rates" were $45.00..

How can that be?

Shipping has been the deal breaker for me on a lot of stuff. I gotta find a cheaper way.

Hey again Dan...I just called UPS and gave him 30 pounds from Reseda to Bellingham and sized the box about 2 1/2 feet by 2 1/2 by 2 1/2....he said 2 feet cubed at 30 pounds would be about $50.00.....so less than $75.00 does that help?