Randakk search for fast wing wing ...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just over at NGW forum ...Randakks was approached as he put it a major magazine producer ..to do an article about a bunch of old men taking there oldwing to the drag strip and seeing what itvwill do ...Randakks sold his supercharge bike few yrs ago ...looking to barrow a fast oldwing ...supercharged or dual weber ...or any very fast wing ....someone here ought to suggest hooch to him .....that’s a member there ...see what happens .... :whistling: might be interesting :BigGrin:

Ok. Hooch is fast. You've mentioned that before. Has that motorcycle ever run the quarter and produced any empirical data on just how fast? Ordinary street motorcycles that are "respectable" will turn 12s. "Quick" ones are in the 11s. 10 seconds officially puts you in the fast categorie. Under 10 is a spaceship.

If Hooch dips into the high 11s I'd be impressed. Not surprised, but impressed.

I would imagine Mr. Washinton is looking for more than that.

I havnt seen a supercharge bike yet that really runs ...I ran against a supercharge Valkyrie a few yrs ago ...yes he beat me but I was only like a bike length back maybe a bit more very close ...that was a 6 cylinder ...I’m not afraid of any 1000 supercharged bike or a dual weber either ...really Darrel ...that valk was a bad as bike ..he’s a member here and there’s a thread on the run we had ...he hasn’t been around in awhile ...he like you has a CBX 1000 6 also ...I was there when he was building it ...nice bikes he had ...

Joe, not to make less of your bike at all, but all we really have is your word and a couple guys you’ve run with. I’d like to see some track times too, and I don’t think anyone would be interested in Hooch without some real numbers.

Who’s got real numbers ..I’ve never even seen Randakks with real numbers ever sheesh ...I remember Oldboy had real numbers on his 1100 he built ...he did some things to it as rebuilt it ..and a few mods but all he got was low 13 I’m thinking ...I’ve never seen numbers on any supercharged bike or dual weber bike ever ...so I don’t think there going to find numbers ...lol I don’t think I’d loan my bike out anyway ...

I will put it this way, I have had 3 Vmaxes, a couple of ZLs, a couple of GSs and now a CBX. They are all quick. It was a struggle to get my last Vmax into the 10s, but ran there consistently (10.90s) before I sold it. The only way to ever remotely categorize a machine as fast is to run the numbers.

Get Mr. Hooch back in business and take that bad boy down to the local strip. Let’s see a time slip! Anything else is just talk.

Oh, And I’ve dealt with Gregg, the guy with the supercharged Valkyrie and CBX. Bought a set of pipes from him as a matter fact. Good guy. He just went through his CBX. Tore it down to bits and back again.

Oh in all the ways I can I’ve provided proof of the hooch bike with many videos of the hooch bike ...I’m not a rich guy that can just put 5000$ into a bike for show to make it look like it will go super fast and strip worthy...a very smart hands on motor builder said ...if your motor needs a supercharger or turbo to run fast ...you built it wrong ...that’s what a motor is a pump ...you actually have to degrade the the oldwing motor to use a super charger by using the mildest cams Honda ever used in a oldwing ..the 78-79 cams ...and even when you do this you can’t boost it much ...and if I’m all talk cause I have no numbers ...well so is Randakks sheesh ...I hope he finds a Randakks inspired bike and they do take to the strip and get numbers ...something that’s never been done ...I can’t wait ...

That’s very true dan ...but at first the bikes were made to be the fastest things out there ...they were the second fastest ...the KZ 900 had the crown ...this is why the parts from the early 1000s can make a monster out of the 1200 motor ..as I did ...I’d say 200CCs is better than a supercharger and also better carb ..than a 1000 supercharge or a 1000 dual weber setup ...that’s basically what I’ve got ...I can tell it got the clutch maxed out ...shows all the discounts of shaft drive with its power ..one day I’d like to get the funds to make it strip safe

Dyno numbers are published on Randakk website for the dual Weber setup. Even though it lists an impressive 13% increase, that's still 13% from pedestrian baseline numbers to begin with.

As Dan has said, it's a tourer. It tours very well. drag racing and top-end runs, well...

Sheesh Darrel you yourself tried the dual Weber’s and got rid of them ...I heard it run ...I’ve heard others run too ...they don’t have a good power band at all it seems ....if they were that good there be videos all over the place and there would be many sold ..there simply not that many ...just because it can dyno better than stock doesn’t really mean it can beat stock ... execution time is everything ..the bike that gets gone now is gone LOL... THIS IS WHY ELECTRIC BIKES ARE SO BAD ASS ....there gone instantly...

Early GL1000s were designed as the successor to thr CB750.

Quarter mile times were good for the day.

Of course that day has long passed, and later changes to the Goldwing made it more of a tourer

I wasn't smart or patient enough to get the Webers dialed in, Joe. Got tired of flipping fifty dollar bills out for each experiment. But, although I never got rid of a nagging off idle flat spot, when those suckers got up on the mains, it motored along quite nicely. Much peppier than the OEM rack (which was performing perfectly).

Even in the early days when Goldwings were competitive, more or less, with contemporary machines, they were not perceived as hallmarks of performance. The touring mantle overshadowed any high performance mistique that "might have been."

I'd be curious to know just what Randall expects a hot rod 'Wing to perform like....

In 1980, Cycle Magazine published 1980 GL1100 Standard 12.47 @ 107.39.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model ... g%2080.htm

This page shows "various sources" suggesting late model six-cylinders anywhere from 11.9 (Valk) to 14.1.
https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-m ... times/a-z/

And there's:

GL1000 13.47 seconds @ 104.00 mph
GL1100 12.47 seconds @ 107.39 mph
GL1200 13.11 seconds @ 96.2 mph
GL1500 13.52 seconds @ 96.1 mph
GL1800 12.14 seconds @105.92

None of these identify the date, location, altitude, ambient conditions, etc., so they're worth exactly the same critical accuracy as a 'rear end dyno'.

I have tested My GL1200... on a 68F morning, it will go from home to office in 22 minutes with my lunch bag, briefcase carrying two laptop computers. If I forget the briefcase, lunchbag, and computers, it takes about 35 minutes.

When an engineer who's designed Formula One V12's designs a flat-four engine for a comfortable heavy-touring motorcycle, he's more interested in setting records in odometer readings and smiles-per-gallon.

If you spend lots of time calculating, experimenting, changing, and repeat, you can come up with tuning that creates a powerband with a high peak, and hence, a high boasting number on a dyno graph. That happens because the harmonic resonance of the intake, exhaust, and chamber are at an appropriate crossing point where differential pressure from the intake and exhaust port is highest. In some circumstances, the differential pressure can be up to 20% HIGHER than atmospheric pressure, and this can be observed on a manometer, while performing a dyno pull. The side effect to this level of tuning, is that the OPPOSITE case (lowest differential pressure) appears at some OTHER point on the graph, and as a result, the torque band is basically gone. The last side effect, is that when you get to that crossing point, the cylinders OVERFILL... meaning, there's sufficient differential pressure that when valve overlap occurs, you're pushing all the exhaust, and part of the intake charge out the exhaust pipe. At this point, any additional flow is just wasted out the tailpipe. Shortening up the overlaps mitigates this, but at a total loss of tuning's advantages.

When you place a fixed-displacement supercharger on an engine, and belt it to that same engine at a known ratio, all the tuning work goes right out the door, because it's not a tunable volume... but the side effect, is that no matter WHAT speed you're going, if the engine is actually 'running', there is ALWAYS substantially high differential pressure between the intake and exhaust ports... and shortening up the overlap prevents dumping precious fuel energy out the exhaust.

From an output perspective, there is no replacement for displacement, and adding a supercharger increases the effective displacement in fuel-air volume by a very static ratio. Betting a naturally-aspirated engine of ANY tuning level, against a supercharged equivalent, is playing Russian roulette with a fully-loaded Glock 19. Putting 7.5psi of boost on an engine is the functional equivalent of increasing it's effective displacement by 50%.

The only advantage the naturally aspirated engine has, is a little bit of weight, which again, is ratios... add 6lbs of weight, to get 400lbs of performance, the math is pretty clear. The other aspect, with respect to acceleration and standing-start times, is that every ounce of weight is important. The fastest, easiest, cheapest way to make a motorcycle faster, is to get off the bike, and have a smaller, lighter guy get on.

But this is very irrelevant to the realm of my GL1200. It'd be faster if I took the brake fluid, toolbag, change of clothes, rain jacket, and extra helmet out of the bags, but I'm not gonna do that. My greatest specs and calculations is that I bought 3 years ago for $1200, and it had 11,000 miles on it, now it has 20,000, and I'll get another season out of the tires if I'm careful, the clutch slave cylinder stopped leaking shortly after I purchased the rebuild kit (and it's still sitting on my desk...)... the stereo blew a fuse in a rainstorm, and it's a bit cold-blooded, rather thirsty, but starts every day, and isn't 'needy' of attention.

Great pics ....and what’s sits on top of the supercharger ...a weber progressive 2bbl....I’m sure the bike runs well ...but as me I bet he has to be careful with it ..I’m sure he has a severe heat problem too ..and prone to blow head gaskets ...nice bike ...

I was reading where the bike has Cooling system mod ..but could find no info on it ...pretty much tells you the stock cooling system was not up to mods on the bike ....seems they built this pony as a model to sell more on order ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214347#p214347:3cloquqy said:
DaveKamp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:30 am[/url]":3cloquqy]
I have tested My GL1200... on a 68F morning, it will go from home to office in 22 minutes with my lunch bag, briefcase carrying two laptop computers. If I forget the briefcase, lunchbag, and computers, it takes about 35 minutes.

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :clapping: :good:

Latest posts