Rear Air Shocks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me (potentially) throw my hat into the "stupid" ring.

I went out and removed the bags to get at the shocks. I gave them a look over. No sign of any fluid leaks. So, I let all of the air out of them. Then, I grabbed the bicycle pump and pumped them up to 50 psi. I checked them with the air gauge in the tool kit. It only registered 10 psi! I looked around for a 3rd gauge to settle to the tie. It showed 10 psi!! So, I pumped them up until the 2 other gauges showed 40 psi and waited. I did not see the bike going down any. I checked and it was still at 40 psi. I took it for a ride. No red light! No filling-busting bumps! It was certainly "taller" but way, way smoother.

I will wait and see what tomorrow brings. Maybe my problem was just a sh!tty pressure gauge on the bicycle pump. I sure hope so. The idea of spending a ton for new shocks or trying to rebuild old ones was not appealing to me.

I can't get my bike pump to agree with the pressure gauge either. I don't understand it either. Perhaps it doesn't get all the pressure into the system, and some is just in the hose? I don't know what is up with it. But as long as I can get air in there and just check it with a gauge after that will work. You are supposed to set the pressure while on the center stand also.

I'm fortunate enough to have an air compressor, so I use it, even tho the manual states NOT to... :rtfm: :blush:
I slap the air chuck on there for about 1/2 second, and check the pressure. As quickly as I do it, it puts about 10psi in the shocks each time. The instructs that came with the Progressives say you can run up to 70psi, I think...I also think that might be a bit much, unless the bike was totally overloaded to start with. If I run 40 psi now, it is too stiff riding for me, but it does raise the rear up a bit more...:mrgreen:

Ahhhh.... what a pleasant ride to work. Still mostly dark, sun just coming up. Weather crisp & cool. Fog blanketing the river. Funny how you miss that stuff when your brain is being jarred mercilessly by every bump in the road. :music: The bike was still holding air this morning. No red warning light. It's funny, but when you have air in the rear suspension, the bike actually leans over when it is on the kickstand. ;-)

It looks like I have saved myself some dinero on this one. Be hard to ride a sporty now. :music2:

pasvorto":31bhchut said:
It's funny, but when you have air in the rear suspension, the bike actually leans over when it is on the kickstand. ;-)

Wow, you really were out of air! The bike normally leans 2-3 degrees on the side stand. That must have been real uncomfortable! :hihihi:

I'm sure there was almost zero air in the shocks! I have put almost 900 miles on it this summer and the warning light just started coming on a couple days ago. It took that long to finally dissipate.