Rear Shocks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revykevy

Reaction score
I am leaking fluid from the rear shock on the left side. I am wondering about rebuilding or buying replacements. Which is better? Is it possible to rebuild the rear shocks?

Yes..they are rebuildable. One more post, and you'll be able to access the tech section with a couple of different rebuild articles. It's not hard, but it does require some ingenuity to compress the shocks, so you can remove the snaprings, and get to the seals to replace them.

I stopped in a local shop that specializes in older metric bikes, old parts every where. Its called cycle-re-cycle in Indy. I liked the place. I asked about rebuilding the shocks and he tried to steer me to buying new shocks $300. However he also gave me some pointers on checking the original shocks for grooves in the shaft, he claims this is very common, that would not let a new seal properly seal the oil in. After I check mine I will make a choice as to rebuild or replace mine.

If I rebuild where do I order the seals and boots from? I've not been able to locate a link or info on places to purchase these items on the site.

When I did mine, I got the seals(Genuine Honda) from Cheapcycleparts, but...I don't think they carry anything for the Goldwings anymore. Don't know about the accordion boots. Perhaps someone else may know of a supplier...
Don't let the shop guy fool you into buying a new set of shocks....the shocks can stand a little bit of scratching on the tubes, and still seal just fine. I did mine almost 3 years ago, and my shock tubes did have some scratches on them. They have not leaked a bit since then. Of course, if they are deeply gouged, that's a different story. I also replaced the springs in mine with Progressive springs, and I can run a lower air pressure in the rear because of that, but it still ride really nice, even 2-up.

revykevy":33v3l646 said:
I checked the shafts on my shocks and they are pristine, for 30 years old, so I ordered the seal and new boots. Link below is where I got them. Less than $100 bucks, is better than cost of new ones, and better than a used set that may fail in any time.

https://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_ ... &fveh=3439

Good deal.

Good stuff - Besides if we only bought new stuff we wouldn't have reasons to hang out in sites like this eh!!

I JUST SAY THANKS TO dan filipi FOR THE INFO ON THE REAR SHOCKS... I HAVE SEEN WRITE UP ON THEM AND NEVER SEEN THE TWO SPRINGS IN THEM,,, NEVER. THEN I SIGNED UP LAST NIGHT TO THIS SITE AND LOOK WHAT I HAVE PICK UP...PRICE LESS THANK A BUNCH P.S. I WOULD SIT AND WONDER HOW THEY WORKED CAUSE I NEVER SEEN THE SPRINGS I JUST KEEP TELLING MYSELF SOME THING WAS MISSING,, RIGHT NOW I HAVE TO PUT 70 PSI IN MY JUST TO HOLD ME AT 200 PD.

it will hold me at 70 pds and yes i know that is way to much..but if i put less it bottoms out bad.. i guess i am going to rebuild them...

The Progressive spring instructions say you can pump them up to 70psi if needed. I haven't done that myself, but...I have had mine over 50 psi riding two-up with Mama, and have yet to see any leaks, after 3 years. I usually run with less than 20psi in them otherwise.

I SEE YOU HAVE REBUILT YOUR IS IT HARD TO DO?? AND HOW IS IT NOW?? I AM NOT TO BAD WITH A WRENCH...I NEVER TAKE MY CARS OR BIKE TO SHOP.. MAN I REALLY NEED TO DO MINE BAD..

I did mine this weekend, took me about 2.5 hours to get mine done. I had to use air input for the shocks to blow the seal out. When i go them off, neither shock had much fluid in them. Together they didn't have 1 fluid oz. The right shock wasn't leaking because it had virtually NO atf fluid left. I was not hard at all.
IMG_0263.JPG

On bike, not leaking because not atf left, notice the ripped boot both are in this condition.
IMG_0264.JPG

Left side off.
IMG_0265.JPG

Right side ready to come off.
IMG_0266.JPG

Removing from air line.
IMG_0268.JPG

Not much atf, shock mostly drained in bucket.
IMG_0270.JPG

Draining some more.
IMG_0271.JPG

Pin removal, I used a needle nosed pliers and screw driver to get ring out.
IMG_0273.JPG

Reattach air line to blow seal out.
IMG_0274.JPG

In bucket to catch whatever comes out.
IMG_0275.JPG

Pumping up air to blow seal out of shock.

IMG_0276.JPG

Placed them in a bucket to keep from blowing atf everywhere. See the first seal is popped.
IMG_0277.JPG

Second seal popped.
IMG_0278.JPG

All the old parts cleaned up, seal is not pictured.
IMG_0279.JPG

I put seals in and tried to fill with a syringe, but that did not work for me. I ended up taking them back apart, plugging the air hole and filling with 20w fork oil from the bottom. Reassembled quickly and attached to air lines. This worked best for me.
IMG_0282.JPG

New boot.
IMG_0283.JPG

Back on bike.
It rides great. Nice easy fix for less than $100, beats new for over $300!!!!!!!!