Rear Tire for '81 Innerstate....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
I've apparently had an Angel on my shoulder for the past couple of days...
I noticed yesterday, right as I exited the hi-way on the way home, a wierd noise comming from the rear of my 'Wing. Couldn't determine what it was, but I thought it might be the diff. Well, this evening, I heard the same noise, and decided I better check the diff lube again. When I turned onto my street, I felt a slight "wobble"...it seemed the front tire was wobbling, or the wheel was loose.
Anyway.....I got in the garage, put it on center stand, and spun the rear wheel..... :eek: :shock: :eek: The tire has just about completely lost the tread, and is bulging out quite a bit in one spot. I checked the air just for spits and grins, and it had 45 psi, which is 5 psi more than it had this morning, and the tire was major HOT. I can only imagine how many more feet it would have gone before exploding on me. I run 75 mph on the road.... :heat:

Soooooo....now I gots to get a new rear tire. I have a Dunlop 491 Elite II on it now, which matches the front that I put on a couple of years ago. I'm guessing I'll replace it with the same, IF I can get it in this size, which is MT90B17 M/C 76H. I haven't done a search yet, but wanted to see if anyone had any input as to this tire, or maybe something a little better?
I absolutely HATE the idea of ripping the butt-end off this thing to change the tire, but I got no choice. I do, however, have a choice in having to do it again too soon, just because I bought a cheap tire, so I wanna go with a good one. I have no idea how many miles this tire had on it, but I'm fairly certain it ain't the original one.

Any helpful hints/recommendations? :beg:

story of a true working wrencher .....never look at anything you own .... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: apple i been hearing that dunlops are lacking in quality nowdays and some of the cheaper tyres are better ....darn im trying to remember the name of the tire ....sinko tour master i think ...ive been hearing good stuff about them but this is all hear say i have never used one .....personaly ive never had a tire that i thought was whorth anything i hate motorcycle tires i can go through 3 sets a yr and never get more than 5000 miles out of anything ive used ....dunlops avon maxxis bridstone and others icant even remember so good luck on this crap ......im glad you made it home but after reading your story i wouldnt use dunlop .....motorcycle tyres i hate them ....bad topic for me ... :mrgreen:

I run Dunlap 404 get 10,000 on them but I don't push my bike often..get them installed total for $92..if I take the wheel in...I too have heard good things about Shinko? recently used to be a low quality tire but lately better????

I am using Bridgestones and to date have about 7,000 miles on them and they are looking great. I should easily get 10,000 out of these tires.

:crying: Well...a quick search thru flea-bay accomplished NOTHING! Seems there are no 17" Dunlops available there.....that's scarin me! I'm a moron when it comes to cross-referencing scooter tire sizes, so I don't know what other size, from another brand would work...
Dam the luck! Guess I'll be doing some more research. I don't mind going to a different brand. I used Michelin tires on my old 750A years ago that were excellent.
The search continues. Thanks for the tips/recommendations! :eek:k:

130-90-17 is what your looking for apple ....yes dunlop drop this tire from there line ....theres some good tires out there in this size and the bridstone in well though of and others .....like i said this a sore subject with me idont think i ride harder than everyone else but i do ride a lot and for long periods of time and my envirment is much more wearing than most others i think ....thats my story and im sticking to it.... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

I was never to impressed with the dunlop 491,but last tire change went to the dunlop E3(sorry joe)
I dont know if its availble for the early 1100s,82-83 had differant rim size.

I have 13,000 miles on those E3s 5000 with a hack :shock: and at least that pulling a trailor,and I would say a few thousand more to go.Ill finish this season,and go with new E3s this winter.Best tire I ever had(sorry joe)

joedrum":3ii652mh said:
ok ...ok maybe i ride a little hard isure dont have any good milage on any tire ive ever tryed so im having a hard time defending myself :cheeky: :rant: :help: :mrgreen:

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Your a mad man joe. ;)

:smilie_happy:
I got home tonite and looked at the tire gain. The bulge has swollen even more now...the tire won't even rotate all the way around now! The bulge hits on the driveshaft tube on the right side.. :roll:
I gotta git the manual out and see what all I gotta do to git this thing apart, too. I can mount the tire myself, no prob. Getting the rim OFF the bike is gonna be the pita.
Lottsa different views on tires, of course....I could'a expected that, I s'pose.
I don't know how old the rear tire is, or how many miles it had on it. I don't ride fully loaded at all...just my big butt, and my lunch, most days, so I'm sure it's not overloaded. Don't know what caused it to separate like that, but it did. I might get a pic of it tomorrow and share my joy wid youse guys! :smilie_happy:
Thanks for the input! :clapping:

Ya THINK?!?! :Doh2:
:smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Ya...I figure prolly another 10-20 feet would have done it.... :shock:

AApple":3vkm24kq said:
I got home tonite and looked at the tire gain. The bulge has swollen even more now...the tire won't even rotate all the way around now! The bulge hits on the driveshaft tube on the right side.. :roll:
I gotta git the manual out and see what all I gotta do to git this thing apart, too. I can mount the tire myself, no prob. Getting the rim OFF the bike is gonna be the pita.
Lottsa different views on tires, of course....I could'a expected that, I s'pose.
I don't know how old the rear tire is, or how many miles it had on it. I don't ride fully loaded at all...just my big butt, and my lunch, most days, so I'm sure it's not overloaded. Don't know what caused it to separate like that, but it did. I might get a pic of it tomorrow and share my joy wid youse guys! :smilie_happy:

I guess I put my experience here for what its worth. When I was getting ready for my trip and doing the test runs I felt the front tire was a little unstable on corners and was at least half gone so I decided to replace the tires before I left. I went to the local Honda dealer and looked at what they recommended. They showed me the Dunlop Elite 3's and told me that people that switched over from the Elite II's said the 3's were quite an improvement. I told them I would bring my wheels in the next day and took them off that night. After I got them both off I saw that the rear was already an E-3 and hardly worn so I kept that and had the new E-3 put on the front to match. This made a great improvement in the handling in corners which made me happy. The front was about $97 plus $30 to mount. Now that I have experienced the difference in the E-II and the E-3 I would recommend the E-3's without a doubt.

There I said it and I'm Glad!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Getting the tire out is not too bad..bags off to get at the shock mounts, take of the castle nut, pull the axle..look att he left side spacers and washers etc..so you can reinstall properly, tie up the caliper out of the way. NOW if you lay the bike on it's side you can pull the tire/wheel out or if you put the center stand up on two 2 by4's to raise the bike, let the air out of the tire it will come out...or hang the rear tire over a curb, then center stand and you'll have lots of room. If you remove the rear hub at the shaft that gives you lots of space too..but it maybe required to get the wheel off depending on how you do it...Loosening the rear fender so it can tilt up helps too..or removing it..

thewhiterhino":d6kprjli said:
AApple":d6kprjli said:

I guess I put my experience here for what its worth. When I was getting ready for my trip and doing the test runs I felt the front tire was a little unstable on corners and was at least half gone so I decided to replace the tires before I left. I went to the local Honda dealer and looked at what they recommended. They showed me the Dunlop Elite 3's and told me that people that switched over from the Elite II's said the 3's were quite an improvement. I told them I would bring my wheels in the next day and took them off that night. After I got them both off I saw that the rear was already an E-3 and hardly worn so I kept that and had the new E-3 put on the front to match. This made a great improvement in the handling in corners which made me happy. The front was about $97 plus $30 to mount. Now that I have experienced the difference in the E-II and the E-3 I would recommend the E-3's without a doubt.

There I said it and I'm Glad!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I just found my receipt for the tire and I lied about the cost!!!!
The tire was $124.95 and the mounting was $30.00. Sorry if I got anyones hope up for no reason. Thats still less than many of the tires I've seen...

The shop I been getting tires at had a 404 front and an E3 rear in stock. Mounted, balanced, new stems, tax & disposal was well under $300. If I knew I was gonna get hung up on the brake job, I would like to have waited and ordered an E3 for the front. I think I'm like'n them E3's. I don't know what it is, but I just love having new tires! :clapping:

Sure was alot more work to access the Interstate tires!

Yeah finding a tire in the 17 inch size is difficult.. unless you go to a "classic" tire and then you have the "old"style oems.. I put shinkos on mine back in December... they are making a name for themselves in racing circles... mine are the 712's I believe.. had them ordered and mounted at TWO WHEEL WORLD in Garland.. (in the same area as the old Harley stealership used to be located) off Shiloh and Garland RD.. just up from Hollywood movie theater/DART bus station..

Latest posts