Rear Tire for '81 Innerstate....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Otay...can someone edjumacate me on tire size nomenclature for scooters? I'm totally lost here....
Can't find anything in a 17" Dunlop Elite, so I'm branching out a bit. However, I have no clue about these other tire sizes, and what they mean, much less what will fit/work on my Innerstate.
Will THIS ONE work, or is there something else, maybe on THIS PAGE that someone could recommend as being a good rear tire that will fit the same as what I have? I don't wanna change the diameter, or width....
I gotta git this thang back on the road! My hands are startin to shake from the rider's DTs! :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:
:beg:

i had to replace the front tire on the 1500 wing ( dunlop e3 ), it was down to the wear bars and had been that way for at least three weeks. it took me through al the rain i managed to get caught in without hydroplaneing. hit one pond of water soo deep it washed up over my windshield. ah but all good things must come to an end. the tire was starting to drift through curves, loosing traction and before it got too bad i replaced it with another e3. i don't think the quality of dunlop tires has gone down i think the quality of other tire manufactures has come up. shinko tires belong on wheel barrels not on bikes, shinko bought out yuckohama tires. a company known to make junk tires

kah92340":f5awedtk said:
We are very limited on the 81s and I have looked and no elites in the 130 90 17.
I got a rear 404 from Dennis Kirk in February and the total was $72.99 and that included shipping here is a link https://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/tire/ ... Id=&mmyId=
The service was fast they even had a return label in the box in case there was a problem.

I'mma gonna give up, and go ahead and git me one of those from Dennis Kirk. :Awe: Looks like a decent match tread-wise to what I have now, and I'm just tired of letting my fingers do the walking! :smilie_happy: Thanks for the link, kah! :thanks:

Now....can ennybuddy tell me what the difference is/might be between the 491, and a 404?

IF that signifies the weight rating, then that's a huge difference! Almost 300 pounds more for the 491 than the 404! :eek: Dam!!!!
Is that even realistic for a full dresser to run a 404 @ 694lbs @ 41psi, compared to the 491 at 830lbs(spec for the lightest weight carrying capacity tire listed) @ 40psi????

Now I'm REALLY scared! :swoon:

Well I know there are a lot of guys running the 404 without any problems but I sure feel safer with the higher weight rating.
There's a chart there for application. If I'm going to trust any tire maker's application I'd trust Dunlop's recommendation. If I remember right they call for a 491. Of course that's more $ for them but still.........

Interesting on the weight rating, it seems like they hide it and you really have to dig to find it. I found 3 rear tires that are 130 90 17 with the 830 lb rating. I will probably go with one of these on my next tire purchase.
Continental Rear TK17 Conti Tour 130/90H-17 Blackwall Tire
Metzeler Rear ME88 Marathon 130/90HB-17 Blackwall Tire
Shinko Rear 230 Tourmaster 130/90/17 Blackwall Tire

:rant: :sensored: :swoon:
I'm seriously considering just selling this bike, and buying one that has good tires on it...I've already spent more time looking for the dang thing than it will take to actually change it.... :rant:
Wonder why they(Dunlop) just abandoned anyone with a 17" rear rim on a large touring bike? Not enough of us out there??? I don't mind spending the $$$$ to get a tire that will survive, since I don't want to have to do this again in a year or so. But...if they don't make them, it's pretty much a moot point. I think I'm gonna cal Dunlop tomorrow, and see what tire they recommend for a full dresser, that has some weight. Yeeeesh...the bike weighs what, almost 800lbs by itself?!? The only tire they list is only rated for 694lbs? I'm so confused!!!.
I consider meself a semi-intelligent feller....why is this so hard for me to figure out, even WITH the collective help/experience of the CGW membership? Am I really making it harder than it has to be?
Someone please shoot me.... :rant:

apple now you know why tyres are a bad topic for me ......dunlop and other name brands have just quit on the 17"dresser wings just like honda dumped the old wings .....they wont be getting my money at all.....good luck on finding a tyre thats going to last you two yrs.... :rant: just love that little rant guy :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Yeah...it's aggravating as heck.... :Awe:
THIS is the tire Dunlop recommends for the '80-'81 Innerstate, which is the one I have been loking at, and discussing here, but I'm still concerned with the weight rating. I have a call in to Dunlop, so we'll see what they say, if they even get back to me.
It's looking like I'll wind up with the 404... :(
I'd like to stay with Dunlop. but I may have to go with another brand....we'll see...
Thanks for all the input, fellers! :clapping:

My original 491 Elite has a weight rating of 882lbs...the 404 has a rating of 694lbs...that's a 188lb difference....With myself AND Mama riding, and whatever gear we might tote with us.....idano... :read: I certainly ain't gonna tell Mama she can't ride wid me anymore because the tire won't hold us both... :nea:

AApple":1xisiv8h said:
I certainly ain't gonna tell Mama she can't ride wid me anymore because the tire won't hold us both... :nea:

Ah no, that would be a BAD idea!

Call around to MC shops, might find an E2 or 491 in stock.
Wait, E2 and 491 same thing aint it?

Local "Discount" bike parts place has a Bridgestone tire in stock the right size for...ahem...$130, + $12.50 to mount and balance, or $20 to balance if I mount it meself. I still gotta do some research on that tire, but it may be worth the $$$ just to get this over with... :Awe: :head bang:

:rant: :head bang: :Awe: :crying:
I just ordered the 404 from Dennis Kirk.... :heat: Even THAT was a PITA! Yeeeeeesh...... :help:

On the subject of tires, I just bought 2 new tires for the Interstate. I got the front one on, with all the add on attatchments, etc. and as I was sitting back soaking in a moment of admiration, that's when I noticed. The rotation arrow is pointing the wrong way. (they mount and balance free when I buy tires from them)

So.....how really, really important is that? Is it really necessary for me to undo it all and take it back to them to do over? (won't have time untill the weekend)

I do remember now seeing the arrow on the old tire was like that. So the guy probably just put the new one on the same way he took the old one off.
What do you guys think?

:Doh2: Well that sux!
Directional tires really need to be installed in the direction of rotation marked. The tread is designed for it, and the grip/durability will be effected if they are installed backwards. You should have them fix it. It doesn't matter how the old one was mounted, they should have known...after all, the tire ARE marked! The first puddle of water you run thru with a backward tread will definitely wake you up! :eek:

scdmarx":3nr0vc6o said:
On the subject of tires, I just bought 2 new tires for the Interstate. I got the front one on, with all the add on attatchments, etc. and as I was sitting back soaking in a moment of admiration, that's when I noticed. The rotation arrow is pointing the wrong way. (they mount and balance free when I buy tires from them)

So.....how really, really important is that? Is it really necessary for me to undo it all and take it back to them to do over? (won't have time untill the weekend)

I do remember now seeing the arrow on the old tire was like that. So the guy probably just put the new one on the same way he took the old one off.
What do you guys think?

I was just reading this and I thought I would cut and paste.
Rotation and balance marks

One of the more critical marks on a motorcycle tire is the rotation arrow, or arrows. Today's specialized tires generally have a tread pattern that must go in only one direction. Some manufacturers even state that their tread patterns are designed to disperse water, and by mounting the tire backwards, they won't work.

The other big reason for noting wheel direction has to do with the manufacturing process. The tread rubber is initially a flat strip that's cut to length, at an angle, and then spliced together with the two ends overlapping, creating a hoop. Under acceleration, a tire mounted backwards will try to peel back this splice. The opposite is true for the front wheel, where directional forces are reversed under hard braking.

Another mark to look for when mounting a tire is a painted balance dot, or dots. Most tires are pre-balanced by the manufacturer. They will then put a mark on the tire indicating where the valve stem should line up.

Thanks. But I'm wondering how much of that is "real world danger" and how much of it is "they have to say that to keep the lawyers happy"? Personally, I think I paid enough for it, I should get professional results. I bought my first couple of tires from ebay, then had one heck of a time getting the beads broke and prying the old tires off and the new ones back on without screwing up anything. Took me most of the day. Then I saw these guys advertise free mount and balance with every tire purchased from them. Now, we all know nothing is free, they just work it into the price of the product. But by the time I paid shipping for ebay, then had to wait to see what I get, I figured it was well worth the extra $20 bucks they charge for the tire, and it only takes them a couple minutes on their tire machine while I wait. It won't take them long to correct their mistake. I just wish I'd caught it sooner. I'm probably just as guilty as they are.

I saw an ad for a motorcycle mechanic the other day. They wanted somebody who can do all kinds of things on several makes and models. MMI graduate prefered. Pay was $10-12 per hour depending on experience. Man, I cringe at the thought of haveing a $12 per hour mechanic work on anything I drive! :whip: :rant:
I guess the lesson is to check other peoples work as much as you can before you leave. :fiddle: No matter how small or simple the job seems to be. :oops:

Latest posts