Rear tires

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Five

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you guys running? I've had three Dunlop 404s and haven't gotten much over 6000 miles out of them. I know the old girl is heavy, and I ride hard but that's sportbike tire mileage, not what I would expect from a tourer. Let me know what you've found that works.

I got 9000 miles on this Shinko 230 with no problems and intend to get a lot more. Has good solid feel to it and totes a load.

Attachments

• IMG00830-20120411-1059.jpg
    IMG00830-20120411-1059.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 267
it always amazes me how often guys have to change tires - I bought my bike with good tires on it and after just less than 20K (thats 12k miles) they still look like the day i bought it. I Must be a wuss but I corner as hard as i can most the time (because I like doing that) never touched the footrest or pipes but come close on a regular basis. And thats with those cheap assed Continentals. My last bike I put 30K (18k miles) on brand new tires and they were still like new when I sold it - I have a brand new tire I want to install but have to wear this one out first.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

1060dsl":1s093dqw said:
it always amazes me how often guys have to change tires - I bought my bike with good tires on it and after just less than 20K (thats 12k miles) they still look like the day i bought it. I Must be a wuss but I corner as hard as i can most the time (because I like doing that) never touched the footrest or pipes but come close on a regular basis. And thats with those cheap assed Continentals. My last bike I put 30K (18k miles) on brand new tires and they were still like new when I sold it - I have a brand new tire I want to install but have to wear this one out first.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
Could it have something to do with the climate differences?
I know hot asphalt roads tear up tires.
Consider yourself lucky though, your saving lotsa cash getting good mileage from them.

dan filipi":3i6pxssj said:
1060dsl":3i6pxssj said:

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
Could it have something to do with the climate differences?
I know hot asphalt roads tear up tires.
Consider yourself lucky though, your saving lotsa cash getting good mileage from them.

Absolutely agree. Hot roads and high speeds are murder on tires. I had a GSXR1100 with a race tire on the back that wore no problem around town. One hot day we went to play at high speeds on the highway and the tire was showing cords in less than an hour. Paying for a new tire for less than an hours fun taught me something about rubber and heat.

Man I knew I shouldnt have said anything about my tires as I was typing it I was thinking THIS IS GOING TO JINX ME FOR SURE

I looked again today and now I see evidence of wear - the front tire is cupping (on the sides) is that normal.? Even the back tire is getting close to the wear bars - not a risk yet but if I wait untill I go to the get-together I wont have to wash them..

Always an upside if you look hard enough.

Cupping, I thought that only happened on spoke rims. Anyway, try the Dynabeads next tire change they seem to really smooth out the ride. I'm sold, getting new kicks for the cager in July and I'm going to use them and see if they do the same for the car.

~O~

I have been running Dunlop Elite II on my 1100 and get about 20K out of a set. I had been running Elite II on the 1200 sidecar rig and only been getting 20K front and 10k rear. I am now trying Elite III on the rig. Haven't had the 1000 long enough to make a comment on it. Right now it does have Elite II on it. If the tire is not load rated for the load of the wing, it will wear faster than one that is load rated.

In my opinion the 404's must be softer rubber. I never got more than 5,000ish miles out of them on the rear. Besides that, I think they are under rated for the weight of the bike. I currently have 3,000+ miles on the E3's and so far very impressed. :moped: