Removing surface rust

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhitf

Reaction score
The lower part of the bike has a lot of surface rust footboards,heel/toe shifter, exhaust,belly pan and a little around the brake light.
What would be the best way to attack this? chemicals?..or just find replacements?

Thanks Darrell

My_Goldwing_2.jpg

puy a little grease on your elbow and have at it .....i like chor boy silver scrbbies,,,they cut well just dont dig hard and ride right on top with touch ....to me they work good and dont break off much .....personaly i dont like breathing metal ....good luck it sould be rather easy to improve on where its at now

A good chrome polish will go a long way to make it nice but follow with a good wax or sealer where you can. I don't know what can seal exhaust.

Thanks for the replies! mcgovern61 did these bike come with passenger back rests? One last question I have a hairline crack in the exhaust about 2.5 inches can I weld this? I have brought Harley mufflers for a upgrade but if I can put that off for a while I will.

Thanks again
Darrell

You should be able to weld the crack but keep in mind it is very thin metal and very easy to burn through.

dwhitf":3qrk8kab said:
The lower part of the bike has a lot of surface rust footboards,heel/toe shifter, exhaust,belly pan and a little around the brake light.
What would be the best way to attack this? chemicals?..or just find replacements?

Thanks Darrell

My_Goldwing_2.jpg

I sell replacements - but unfortunatly they are usually as bad as you have (sometimes worse) some of these new chemicals for removing rust are great!

Latest posts