Shinko 230 Tourmaster performance reports

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I started on 42 ( same as my CBRs) and then went up to 46. I did have the rear suspension on 58 psi and every time it dropped 5 psi I could feel the suspension bottom out slightly.

Checked pressure at midnite before riding into tow, may have a small leak, tire was 32, inflated to 42 iand checked with digital gauge, ride felt a lot bette. Possibly ujust seating the bead I hope, its a royal pita to remove rear tire on the 89 Venture.

I just installed a new set of 230's. I ordered them from Motorcycle Super store, $129 for both shipped to my door. I figured I could not go wrong. I did not want to spend the money on Dyna Beads and was told that Airsoft BB's work just as good. I took it for a ride yesterday and was really pleased about how well they worked. I will keep you updated as they wear.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114871#p114871:1aderr8s said:
oldmopars » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:26 pm[/url]":1aderr8s]
I just installed a new set of 230's. I ordered them from Motorcycle Super store, $129 for both shipped to my door. I figured I could not go wrong. I did not want to spend the money on Dyna Beads and was told that Airsoft BB's work just as good. I took it for a ride yesterday and was really pleased about how well they worked. I will keep you updated as they wear.

Were you able to get those through the valve stem or did you have to put them in before seating the bead? I like the idea as they are cheap and my son has thousands of them.

Speaking of shinko,i recently installed a shinko 712 on the rear of my sportster,so far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shinko 230 Wear Report: 3011 miles since install, running with counteract balance beads.

Front: New Center Tread Depth: 5/32 Now Center Tread Depth: Touching 5/32 line, not measurable wear.
Rear: New Center Tread Depth: 10/32 Now Center Tread Depth: 7/32

Basicaly 1/32 wear on rear tire per 1000 miles traveled on all kinds of roads except interstates, with approx. 1/3 of the miles pulling a loaded trailer.

No cupping or uneven wear on shoulder of tires. :moped: :moped:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115464#p115464:227hw5xg said:
backlander » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:27 pm[/url]":227hw5xg]
Shinko 230 Wear Report: 3011 miles since install, running with counteract balance beads.

Front: New Center Tread Depth: 5/32 Now Center Tread Depth: Touching 5/32 line, not measurable wear.
Rear: New Center Tread Depth: 10/32 Now Center Tread Depth: 7/32

Basicaly 1/32 wear on rear tire per 1000 miles traveled on all kinds of roads except interstates, with approx. 1/3 of the miles pulling a loaded trailer.

No cupping or uneven wear on shoulder of tires. :moped: :moped:

Makes me glad I have a new one sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.

Sure a lot of good reviews for the 230 Tourmasters......I certainly hate to put my opinion in here, because it's not gunna be so great....but it will be honest. :roll:
Specs: '81 Innerstate with prolly 25# of "stuff" in the bags(tools, helmet, etc) + My 230# butt.
New front and rear 230s installed last weekend. I have 320 miles on them to date, so the "slickery" stuff is worn off. (I measured the tread depth before and after mounting, but that info is at home. I'll add that info to this post this evening when I get home.) Nothing else was changed, other than adding the front mud flap.
Here's my opinion thus far.
I'm not overly impressed, nor have they instilled very much confidence in them.... :nea: I am running the recommended pressures front and rear, and.....something just ain't right. To me, the bike feels like BOTH tires are about half flat all the time. It's like riding a Weeble's bike("weebles wobble but they don't fall down!")....it feels woozy. I can't explain it any better....just don't feel right. I had to stop on the way home Monday to check and make sure they were NOT half flat. I checked all of the fasteners to be sure nothing was coming loose, everything. But riding on the hiway, it just flops all over the place, just like it would with low tires. Seems worse on the front. Here's the kicker...when I'm in a curve, leaning hard at 50-60mph, the thing is rock solid...no wobble at all. But get back up straight, and it's the drunk feeling again. WTH?!? My opinion on this is that the rubber compound is too soft. I can mash on the tires with my fingers, and the rubber deflects quite a bit...far more than any other tire I have had on it. Will they get better with more mileage? I sure hope so...because this thing is downright scary at times. It does not feel like the tires are tracking in any surface grooves, in fact, they track really well in places where the older tires would not. And the ride quality is nice enough. I raised the pressure in the air shocks this morning just to see how that would effect anything, and I dint feel any noticeable difference in the weeble feeling. Really strange thing is, it's worse on the rides home in the evening, when the ambient temps are higher. It feels like the bike is "squishy" in a straight line ride, but super solid on leaning curves.
As ya'll know, I've had many tars on this thing since I've had it. I've ridden it with both front and rears new. I've never had this particular feeling with any of the other tires. Could I have gotten a set that has the wrong compound? Ida know...it is ME, after all....and we all know how my luck with tires is.... :sensored:

Anywho...that's my input on them. I just hope they get a little better with a few more miles... :beg:

Silverado6x6":3m6y8kwt said:
Felt a little mushy on the dry pavement.

Exactly.....but mine is front and rear.... :popcorn:

sounds like an air pressure adjustment up a few pounds in the rear ... see if that stops pushing the front end around ... id say front wheel is probably ok on air and just needs to sit down some with more stability in rear

I know this is going to sound crazy but they are directional tires and only get fitted to the rim one way. :head bang:
The only other possibility is that your tire pressure readings are out. My trusty gauge has started reading under pressure and I only realised as I compared it to another gauge and all of a sudden all my tires needed air :(
I am running 36 psi front 42-44 psi rear

Tars are mounted in the proper direction.
Tire gauge is accurate.(I have 4 at home...including a low pressure gauge that is accurate down to 2-3 pounds)
No Dynabeads in the rear yet, but the front does have clean/dry beads.
I have considered pumping them up a few more #s....I'll see how that works next week. :good:

I'll also add this...if you've ever driven a drag car with wrinkle-wall slicks, then you know what I be talking aboot......

Latest posts