Shock pressure (fixed)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Montecman":1ffatuvl said:
What PSI are the scoks supost to be? I checked mine this a.m. & both were at 50!

50 is OK. I think maximum is 57. There's a sticker on the frame near the fill valve with the minimum and maximum.

One up I run mine at 25 or so. 2 up I crank it to the max.

Youre post is titled "Fork pressure"

If thats the case 50 is way way to much. :shock:

Forks in front!!!

Shocks in rear!!

50 is good for the back,but fronts are around 20 max.

21 psi in the front forks is max, I think. 57psi in the rear shocks. I run my fronts at 14psi, and the rears at 10 psi, but I have the Progressive springs inside the rear air shocks. The intructs that came with the Progressives said you could run the rear air up to 70psi if fully loaded. I don't think I ever want to verify that, myself... :nea:

On bumps I bottom out, expecially with the backrest on. And that is at 50psi. Im 210lbs and the backrest is 115'ish.

I was having the same problem...bottoming hard, even with 57 psi in the rears. Your rear springs are prolly shot.
The Progressive springs, new fluid and seals cured it for me. I now run 10-12 psi in the rears, and have yet to bottom out, even with a fairly substantial load. I haven't had Mama on the back since I did the springs(yet), but I'm absolutely sure it will be fine. :mrgreen:

btw...the Progressive Springs did not make the ride harsh at all. In fact, it's nicer now than before. :good:

I got mine from Cheapcycleparts. Their website is apparently down right now. I'm not sure if they still carry the Progressive springs, since they have to get them from Progressive, and sometimes Progressive doesn't have them in stock, but it's worth checking them out. They(cheapcycleparts) were quite a bit cheaper than going to Progressive directly. I got the spring kit, and seals for the shocks for less than $100, if I remember correctly. :mrgreen:

Montecman":25kptsfo said:
What PSI are the scoks supost to be? I checked mine this a.m. & both were at 50!

Holy Moly bet you can feel every grain of sand with the forks that high, it's a wonder they did not blow out.

Winger 82":1x1t0fh6 said:
Montecman":1x1t0fh6 said:

Holy Moly bet you can feel every grain of sand with the forks that high, it's a wonder they did not blow out.

That is a tad high up front! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I keep my back shocks at 62 to keep from bottoming out with 400 lbs of riders onboard. (Me and any of the backrests)

Tory":36j21s9j said:
Youre post is titled "Fork pressure"

If thats the case 50 is way way to much. :shock:

Forks in front!!!

Shocks in rear!!

50 is good for the back,but fronts are around 20 max.

:smilie_happy: I thought he was talking about his forks...I really do know better :head bang:

~O~

AApple":palxyvmk said:
I got mine from Cheapcycleparts. Their website is apparently down right now. I'm not sure if they still carry the Progressive springs, since they have to get them from Progressive, and sometimes Progressive doesn't have them in stock, but it's worth checking them out. They(cheapcycleparts) were quite a bit cheaper than going to Progressive directly. I got the spring kit, and seals for the shocks for less than $100, if I remember correctly. :mrgreen:
RE: Cheapcycleparts.com... I used to be a fan, but their service went into the toilet last time I ordered from them. Quite frankly it doesn't surprise me to hear the site is down. Pardon the off topic.

~O~

The springs are internal to the shocks. The shocks need to be dis-assembled to access the springs. It sounds a lot harder than it actually is. It took me longer to get the danged shocks off the bike(and put them back on) than it did to actually tear them down, and change the springs/seals. You can download my pics and "how to" here, Progressive Suspension Install PDFs. :mrgreen:

mine bottoms alot too.. I think before I buy the new progressive springs I will try to just drain and change the fluid in the rears.
I know what the front fluid looked like... YUCK!
hopefully if I take the air line off.. and turn the shocks upside down I can pump most of the fuid out... then let them drain overnight.
anybody got comments? or suggestions?
I know this aint a fix.. but just a band-aid ... but I dont have any leaks. and really dont have the cash on hand(for new springs and seals) right now.

jdegase":9xwn58lj said:
mine bottoms alot too.. I think before I buy the new progressive springs I will try to just drain and change the fluid in the rears.
I know what the front fluid looked like... YUCK!
hopefully if I take the air line off.. and turn the shocks upside down I can pump most of the fuid out... then let them drain overnight.
anybody got comments? or suggestions?
I know this aint a fix.. but just a band-aid ... but I dont have any leaks. and really dont have the cash on hand(for new springs and seals) right now.

Jim, if you let them lay on their side with the top on a piece of wood or something to allow it to be on a angle toward the nipple for the hose with the nipple at the bottom, they will drain out overnight. (Not by choice, I didn't know they had oil in them when I took them off during the bike restoration!) :Awe:

Latest posts