Shock pressure (fixed)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my doubts it will help much changing the fluid since the fluid has more to do with bounce control than load carrying capacity but it's worth a try.

AApple and I researched the rear shock capacity before he did the spring replacement.
We found out the 1983 shocks had somewhat beefier springs so if you come across a good pair cheap off an '83 that's another option over rebuilding with new springs if needed.

Yeah, the fluid actually only operates for the cushioning of the shock, not the load carrying capabilities. It is the spring that does that. You can pump more air in them, or even add more/fresh fluid, but it won't help the bottoming issue. If pumping them up to the max(57 psi recommend) doesn't keep them from slamming, the springs are just not doing their job anymore, imho. It is the springs that are supposed to carry the weight of the bike & rider...the shock is there to make that ride smoother. Think of it like your car/truck. It has shocks,and springs. The springs hold the vehicle up, and the shocks keep it from bouncing up/down on the springs. :mrgreen:

btw...cheapcycleparts no longer carries Progressive springs for Goldwings....just Hardlys... :crying:

Thanks guys,
usually I'm riding 1up .
but I'm sure the fluid looks real bad..
my wing sat for a few years
and has 63000 on her. probly original fluid..
The springs being bad would change the ride height, wich seems fine.
but the fluid not damping would allow the shock to bottom on hard bumps even if the ride height is good...
at any rate, the fluid is cheap, and might help save any life left in the seals and shocks till I can afford the springs...
the story for me will be when I dump the old fluid out of the shocks... if it is thin and runny or really dirty as I suspect, then new fresh fluid should help for a peace of mind, if for nothing else.
I'm planning a fund raiser with the extra parts I have acquired over the last year.

the srpings and seals are my next purchase.

Yeah, the '83 Interstate I'm riding was last owned by an old-time cycle jock/customizer/restorer, and he told me it didn't hold air in the rear shocks either until he simply changed the fluid in them. Worked fine for him after that, he says; works fine for me so far.
I'm not enough of a mechanic to know why some here have advised it's wasted effort. But, I trust Sam (the previous owner -- whose cable-televised sale last year of antique bikes and parts netted something approaching $1 million!) enough to believe he knows what he's doing and talking about.

oldhack62":wsgk2193 said:
Yeah, the '83 Interstate I'm riding was last owned by an old-time cycle jock/customizer/restorer, and he told me it didn't hold air in the rear shocks either until he simply changed the fluid in them. Worked fine for him after that, he says; works fine for me so far.
I'm not enough of a mechanic to know why some here have advised it's wasted effort. But, I trust Sam (the previous owner -- whose cable-televised sale last year of antique bikes and parts netted something approaching $1 million!) enough to believe he knows what he's doing and talking about.

interesting.
wonder if the bottom seal, under the spring needs fluid over it to make the seal to the outer damper......
it would certainly help the seal (hold air) to be immersed in fluid.

my thought was the fluid would break down, or get thin, or something else that would change its dampening ability.

meanwhile the weather here is terrible. so if I can avoid everything else I will remove the shocks today and see what I'm in for.

Hmmm wonder if the hardley's road king 12 inch air shocks are rated any better??? I found a place selling them ( eye to eye mounts) for $125 a set I believe...

Joep":2qp9dse2 said:
Hmmm wonder if the hardley's road king 12 inch air shocks are rated any better??? I found a place selling them ( eye to eye mounts) for $125 a set I believe...

Would be a good option if they bolt right on and length is right.

I relieved pressue down to 12 psi on the front forks and the front dropped 4-5 inches. I'll take her out today to see how she handles.

Montecman":m2k0iqg5 said:
I relieved pressue down to 12 psi on the front forks and the front dropped 4-5 inches. I'll take her out today to see how she handles.

I have Progressive springs in the front. It too will drop without air pressure, just a couple inches. I run them normally with no air.

Joep":xazzrjko said:

Hardly shocks operate on a different angle, geometrically speaking. That means they have to have stouter springing/shock valving than a "normal" up-down situated shock, such as the Goldwing. They might actually bolt up, but I would wonder about them being too stiff, and/or not having enough travel....it's worth more research, tho. :read:

my niece stopped by yesterday on her '82 standard because the rear shocks had no air. after putting 35 pounds in it and rechecking the pressure it was back to zero. filled and checked a few more times with the same results. found the valve to be staying open so she will have to have it replaced

Latest posts