SHOP heater burns Waste Engine OIL for FREE FUEL

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westgl

Reaction score
I am not sure what category this should go in

This for a Free fuel Waste Engine OIL heated Shop.

Joe and others

Do you have a Heated Shop?

I am looking at building a Waste Engine Oil Heater for my shop

A Unlimited amounted amount of Free Fuel. Waste Engine Oil, like the Car Waste oil, you have from that oil change, you did.

The Previous owner took the heater out of the shop when they left.

This Waste Engine Oil heater, for your Shop, Is extremely efficient, and runs on Waste Oil, if you are throwing away the waste oil after a oil change, this is a way to use it up and have free fuel.

Get you neighbors to give you there old oil, It's FREE

Oil Tank
A, 5 gallon oil holding tank setup for gravity feed,

To a simple & Cheap to build setup,

Heater/burner
The heater you want is a 40 or 50gallon Old re-tired Junk, Hot water heater, one that someone want's to throw away,

NOTE: The Easiest Hot Water Heater to convert is a Electric Hot Water Heater I am going to get a 50 gallon size Electric Hot Water Heater as i have a large shop.
The Larger the gallon, the more heat possible., Have a smaller shop, get a smaller gallon heater.

You are going to strip it down to just the hot water tank and burner unit, that is your heater unit.

Oil feed
Some brass fittings, hooks to a cheap oil drip to the burner, This part can be a simple and cheap as you want, Or you can add a regulated oil drip, hooked up to a Cheap Thermostat, for Unattended heating.

I have seen plenty of video's of these working, and temps in the shops are good.

The Hot Water Tank's are fairly small, once out of that metal shell and insulation.

I want to be able to work in a warm shop this Winter

This relatively cheap to build

Using a old thrown away, Junk, Electric Hor Water heater 50 gallon size.

Stripped down to just the tank and the burner.

A 5 gallon tank this will be used for a Oil container, Mounted 4 feet above the heater unit, as it will be used as a gravity feed oil tank.

Bill of materials will follow sometime in future posts

NOTE: The Easiest Hot Water Heater to convert is a Electric Hot Water Heater I am going to get a 50 gallon size Electric Hot Water Heater as i have a large shop.
The Larger the gallon, the more heat possible., Have a smaller shop, get a smaller gallon heater.

Any pics? I am confused as to how to convert an electric water heater to burn oil?

actually im right where you are and less my building is still lightless too ... this seems like a good system .....and easy so its right up my alley right now ... and winter coming soon ....

Glad you asked i will provide a link to some videos, some are Very simple drip systems,

others have a regulated oil drip with a cheap thermostat to regulate heat.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=95805#p95805:36j1g7nh said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:26 pm[/url]":36j1g7nh]

Any pics? I am confused as to how to convert an electric water heater to burn oil?

A collaborate effort can make this a reality.

I am searching for a 50 gallon electric Heat Water Heater.

I may go to my local dump and see if they have any that have turned in, and try to the one in the best looking condition.

but the tank is inside that water heater shell, so that steel can & insulation need to be removed and sent back to dump.

I've always wondered..... why in the world do you heat your hot water? A water heater I understand, never understood a hot water heater.

BTW, search for old 70's copies of Mother Earth News - they had plans about twice a year for waste oil heaters. Friend of mine built one back then to use up 250 gallons of heating oil that a previous tenant in the old farm house had abandoned in a tank outside because it was water and rust contaminated.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

As you can see from the videos,

By adding some air to the oil drip,

you can get a much more efficient burn,

that will be hotter, and use less oil.

This can be done using a blower, I saw a guy that used a hair dryer that had the heater element burn out that he bought a yard sale for cheap.

Or you can split air coming off of a air compressor using a regulator so that you can regulate the air flow down real low, hooked to a air nozzle

While you dont have to have air, it helps

All of the old tugs I worked on used these except they were made at the factory and were cast iron stoves and ovens! All cooking took place on them. There was a fuel line running from a day tank (just a small 30 gallon fuel tank above the stove) that ran into a fuel metering valve and dripped into an open bowl inside the stove. When you wanted to cook......you had to plan your time because it took about an hour for the stove to get hot enough to cook on. Needed a higher temp? Open the fuel valve and wait 20 minutes! :hihihi:

This is part of the reason they never turned them off! There was always oil dripping into the carburetor (bowl) and a constant fire burning keeping the stove at 150 degrees minimum. On the newer models (1940's vintage) a blower was attached to the front (looked just like the blower in your car heater) that would add air to the carburetor and intensify the heat. With the blower, you could heat up the stove from cold iron to hot stove in under 25 minutes!! (Now that was fast! :yes: Can you say microwave speed? :smilie_happy: )

Another reason we keep the stove on at 150 degrees all the time.......there was a large copper coil that ran across the inside and then out to a tank that would do a heat exchange with water, hence where our hot water came from for showers and cleaning!

Movie Trivia here:

There is a line in the movie "Meet Me In Saint Louis" at the beginning of the movie that otherwise makes no sense. It is summer (August) in the first scenes and the mother is working in the kitchen making ketchup with their cook and she calls the daughters to remind them that while they are cooking, now is the time to go wash their hair. They were using the stove and was the first time that day they would have hot for washing! Otherwise, that beast was off in the summer because they did not have air conditioning back then!

How about a pic of one of the tugs? How about the E.F Moran Jr., built in 1940. I was the last Captain to sail her.

image.php

Okay....back to HOME use waste oil heaters!

mcgovern61,

Some good info there.

Like you said no air lower heat and more time to get hot.

I will be doing some sort of heat.

another guy, used a hair dryer, he used the hair dryer to heat the copper line coming from the oil storage tank, on really cols days to get the oil flow From the Oil Tank to the burner.
(that oil tank is 4ft above the ground, for a gravity feed that is flow controlled)

Rather than a hair dryer, i would suggest a blower from an old oil burner furnace. They have much better bearings and are better protected for use around burning oil!

Nice Tug skipper :good:
Even if the galley didn't sound like much fun! :heat: