slabghost 75 gl 1000 resto on a fundless approach

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys im realy sore right now breathing is ruff ...playing drums with bad ribs is realy hard to do and of corse im playing alot this week ....okay heres some pics on slab carbs ....there a lot dirtier than i thought they would be inside but not what i would consider realy bad at all ...these are 75 carbs with the best air flow and jet size of all oldwings ...actualy all wings with dedicated carb for each cylinder...you can notice the slight cutout at the bottom of the slides this is the only yr like that.....this is a pic of before i got started
image.php

image.php

image.php

this last pio is after everything was cleaned here ...slide ..slide cylinder....and vacume top along with the hole there in the bottom of the top...plus the jets that are underneath the screw on the left side of carb pic that the vacume cap will cover

more pics of of the next carb over
image.php

the next pic is of the air jets under the screw that hole at the top is big and the jet can fall right in and it can take a long time to get out whe it wedges in the 90degree turn down there ...i know personaly...im going to skip cleaning the others till till later on i have to get back in there later anyways ,,this first step im doing now is easy and is more about cleaning things up and not final put back
image.php

image.php

unlike others i like to get screws back inplace always when i can as a prempted strike to save my poor mind and memory skills i try and keep lid on and not use :hihihi:
image.php

ell after getting into the bowls its obvious that my best move is to end the carb inspection ...things look good and seem to be clear ...the o rings are somewhat loose in fit further messing with it will make it looser ...so my move is to gamble it will run and to use atf mix in the fuel to condition the o rings ..they sould swell some ...otherwise it will be o rings to get ..its somewhat a gamble but it looks like a good one to me ...to keep the cost down ...once the bike proves itself ...i know in advance that o rings need replacing if i want to do more to carbs ....i will finish cleaning things and post a pic or two :mrgreen:

if you go back to the pics of the carb you will see the linkaged connectors where two carbs hook up side by side ...you will see screw and lock nut deal ...this is where the adjustment is made to tke the slop out of the linkage to get it to move in snyc ...i brench sync mine when there off like that ...or at least check it

since ive hurt my ribs ive been moving slow on the 75 but i bid finaly get the 75 carbs and radiator in and its basicly ready to try ...igot to get some gas to try it heres a pic
image.php

okay V ive got the pics and info ....theres five wires ....the black and white wire has a female bullet connector....the other four are male bullets.....wire colors are black and white ....yellow and red....black....black and red...black and brown......the kill switch hook ups are black and brown...and black and white...all stretched out its about 38" or a little less ...basicly fron the clip that holds the kill switch wires to the longest wire there all within one inch
image.php

image.php

image.php

Nice work Joedrum,

That is a nice looking build, Love these OldWings

I can tell you know Wings, glad you checked your Carbs and Engine to verify that they are a match. I built a GL1000 that had a GL1100 engine, & GL1000 carbs, I doubt the previous owner ever had it running right like that.

I also built a 78' GL10, In that I put a 75' GL10 engine, Hotter cams, and Carbs and Heads, with a rack of 75' GL10 Carbs.

Checking the engine and Carb combination in your bike, will save some head aches, down the road.

As far as wiring goes I like to get rid of potential problems, on the last 78' I did I removed most connectors, and soldered & wrapped Most connections, this will fix a lot of problems.

Okay the wiring is nearly identical on the 1100 throttle switch assy. I'll get the connectors sorted out and send it to you Joe.

heres o pic of slabs bike with temp tank installed for testing ...i got it fire ans spit some but thats it so far ..i feel way to bad to do any decent work on so im waiting a bit ...... :mrgreen:
image.php

What are your plans for restoring the carbs? Do you just clean them thoroughly or rebuild them with a kit like Randakks? I just want to know what an old hand at this does as I'm new to Wings. Thanks for taking the time to show your project.

on this this rack the 75 carbs looked good ...cleaned the slides and all related opening on the vacume lift up and needles ....when i got to the bowls and stuff the jets appeared good ckeck a couple ...but o rings were somewhat loose and any further messing with it was going to deteriate the whole deal ...so decided to check flow test with temporary gravity feed tank gas flow right in and out the drains quickly ...then put drains back in and checked for flow stop when bowls fill up ...i usealy leave them this way a long time to check for seapage over time the rack past that ...i had already bench snyc it ...then installed it back to see if i can get it running ....ive been sick lately and havnt done much ....the motor still has to prove itself before spending any big money on it ...but it seems good and im confident in it running soon ...the 77 i did just before this one had sat for 20yrs without running and its sweet ...so its early on in the game and the carbs may need new orings ...but the gaskits and all parts seem fine and there a chance its not totaly clean yet for sure ...but i dont spend money on rebuild kits unless it needs it ...ive bought one over the yrs thats all... :mrgreen:

april 10 ..the last post wow its taking a long time to go to the doghouse to work on Vs bike :hihihi:
anyway ive taken the carbs back off and will have to do more to them ...it was obviously getting gas the rack was full of it ...

anyway im on this bike now the building is as far as i can take it now....