Soooo what do you do, if you break down...???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just make a good drawing of the mod and make it clear that when centering the weight over the trailer axle that the bike front is facing either the front or back of the trailer not side to side over the axle :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
:head bang: :rtfm: :sensored: :whistling:

toytender01":siqj6z3c said:
Just make a good drawing of the mod and make it clear that when centering the weight over the trailer axle that the bike front is facing either the front or back of the trailer not side to side over the axle :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
:head bang: :rtfm: :sensored: :whistling:
Ahhhhh Ok... :shock:

I always keep enough in the bank account to rent a 1 way uhaul home and 2 ratchet straps from walmart.

I think enterprise will pick you up in a van. Havn;t tried it. Ussually someone will give ya a lift to a u-haul/ryder type place.

Bloodbeard":a1m7ehwi said:
I always keep enough in the bank account to rent a 1 way uhaul home and 2 ratchet straps from walmart.

I think enterprise will pick you up in a van. Havn;t tried it. Ussually someone will give ya a lift to a u-haul/ryder type place.
Sound's like your just Winging it just like most of us, Play it by ear, take a chance, what the heck, let's just see what happens if I make a long trip... Will I make it? Is something going to break down on me? Did I miss something, I know I'm a halfass mechanic, so what if? Oh man.. I gotta say, that's something I think about but I never really want to. I'm too busy enjoying the ride...Oh and when you get from point A to point B and your long trip was good, that's a great feeling, it's awesome.. :music3: Ok ..I just noticed the littlebeaver picture to the left, now who did that...Dan is up to his old tricks again.. :smilie_happy: funny stuff here, I like the littlebeaver, I gotta show the wife, it was a name given to me as a child by the elders...

Yeah too much planning takes all the fun out of it.

I was thinking the other day, where's the adventure, going out and see what happens?
Cell phones and too dang much technology these days sometimes.

I say go over the bike, do your best to avoid any gotchas and enjoy the ride.

joedrum":gk4xv9r5 said:
bitch is what i do :smilie_happy: :rant: :crying: :doh: :head bang: :fiddle: :cheeky: :mrgreen:

I doubt that, U jus fix it an go on. mrgeo :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

joedrum":96p3nbfh said:
bitch is what i do :smilie_happy: :rant: :crying: :doh: :head bang: :fiddle: :cheeky: :mrgreen:
I told you new guy's this was a funny site.... :smilie_happy:

How many of you guy's have broken down? And what issues with the bike occured ? Where did you have the bike towed to? A shop? Home? Where, I'm just being curious...My choice would be home..

Hi LB,
I have only broken down a few times in the 50 years I have been riding and I mostly fixed it myself on the side of the road. Once, when I had a head gasket start leaking, I was still able to ride it the couple of hundred miles home and fixed it there.
Brian

littlebeaver":2t1l7fu1 said:
How many of you guy's have broken down? And what issues with the bike occured ? Where did you have the bike towed to? A shop? Home? Where, I'm just being curious...My choice would be home..
Beav...the only breakdowns I have experienced in 16,000 miles of riding was a dead battery due to the 3 wire connector failing and rear caliper lock up because the brake pedal was touching the aftermarket muffler. Jumped the battery and bled off the brakes...otherwise...ride...ride....ride!

littlebeaver":2m4udxgw said:

I've never broken down (knock on wood) but I have had some minor trouble on the road.
One was a head gasket started leaking and squirting water out the side of the head, I was about 5 miles from home and rode it.
The other was a coolant tube O ring started leaking, showed up as coolant on the block in the morning when my son and I were out camping for his birthday, just the 2 of us, good times.

It probably would have been ok since it was cold that night and those tubes like to leak when cold but with no backup and 300 miles from home I didn't want to take a chance so I found an auto parts, bought some silicone, took it apart and smeared it in there. It never leaked and we made it home fine.

Well, I had one break down requiring my wife and trailer it was 3 miles from home in Kansas, I had my Yamaha xs-1100 and it was new to me but a 28 year old bike at the time and I just got it, I rode it around the area and all of a sudden everything just quit working, lights and all, oh man, thank goodness I had my cell phone [Night time, pure darkness]], I called the wife and she hooked up my trailer and came out and got me, I found the fuse box to be in poor condition, I had some fuse connectors so I just rewired the whole lot of them and labeled them with auto type fuses and never had another problem.. The next time, I broke a clutch cable on Thankgiving day and I rode home in first gear, about 2 miles, and the only other time was a trip from Chicago to San Antonio on my 750 kawa, I rode 24 hours down there stopped to sleep at a motel, now on the way back I rode it 24 hrs. straight[young nut], I left at 7am and got to Chicago about 7am the next day, but I skipped into town literally the chain stretched to it's limit and I had to stop a few times to adjust it, that was around 1988...So I have had pretty good luck, knock on wood... I'm going to KC from SA. this weekend again, so this is why I ask...

Hi LB, It sounds to me you are just like the rest of us...you deal with whatever comes along just fine....
I try to keep the bike in tip-top shape, but something can always happen at any time with these old motorbikes. Mine is 28 years old in 30 year old frame with a 40 year old sidecar....it is all part of the adventure, right?
Brian

I also have AAA plus with motorcycle towing, On their top towing package for cars, You're allowed 1 tow up to 200 miles... Wish they had that for motorcycles. Thats why i dont feel comfortable going over 100 miles

Ive broken down once... The pull throttle cable snapped. Good thing i was only about 4 miles from home so what i did was raise the idle and rode home in 3rd gear going about 30 mph :mrgreen:

I broke down lots in the late 70's and 80's when I was riding old Triumphs. I was young and dumb and knew better than the factory did. My modifications always eventually bit me in the ass and I'd have to rely on friends to come get me. Of course they were sub 400 lbs bikes and 100 miles from home was an adventure so a friend with a pick-up was all I needed. I've never had a breakdown with a stock bike in good condition, knock on wood, but if I do I'll deal with it. Everything always works out in the end.

over the last 40 years , I have had maybe 3 Flat Tires......... back then , the tires was Tube Type . so you couldn't Plug them .... that can be a real problem. thats the only problems I've ever had , that I couldn't ride it home.

first time out on the cm400 the wife and i on the frist time with me we stoped about 15 miles from home at a stop sign.went to pull out and it just stoped.and wouldn't start. push it about half a mile to a friends house . found out the clutches went out. hundred bucks did my first clutch job on a bike. wasn't so bad. then while fixing that i noticed the back wheel wobble. not good. over half the drive blocks where broke .spare bike got parts to fix. but what i really wanted to do was have a big bonfire. just couldn't bring my self to it lol

Latest posts