Summer recap.. my 81 build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier Daddy

Reaction score
Well shame on me for not being a more regular posting member, but here is a "Readers Digest" version of my GL1100's progress.
I posted the beginnings here in my intro back in December... LINKY
I was wrapped up in the build every spare minute in an attempt to get it completed this riding season, but now have a little down time while waiting on parts. More on that in a minute.

The original engine was seized. After doing the headwork and getting the "new" '83 engine re-assembled it was ready to get it in the frame.

Spent weeks sanding and polishing the covers and that really added the "bling" to the old gal. Getting really stoked on the build at this point and devote any spare evening in the garage.

Next came the Comstars, they were pretty ratty and I have liked the look of the early silver reversed Commy's so I picked up some Duplicolor wheer coating in Silver and Clear and redid the wheels with new Bridgestone S-11 Spitfires Ft and Rear.

Free'd calipers, reworked master cylinders, new pads, rotors drilled ...Brakes done! So with the new shoes mounted she is once again standing on her own!

Early GL1000 headers and H.D. Sportster mufflers from E-bay for the ultimate cheap exhaust!

Never did get a seat with this bike or the parts donor and the stock one would not have fit the bill for what I had in mind so I cast my own pan out of fibreglass and foam, then covered with Marine grade vinyl.

Carbs rebuilt using a Ranndakks master kit, this took almost an entire month. I polished the caps and intake runners. Thought I was going to go bonkers on this one. But when I got them installed I was glad I took my time and paid attention to the details.

Little primer on the body work while I was saving $ for fluids and a battery and this is how she looks today.

So the day of reconning finally came, topped off all fluids, new battery charged and fired her up. At first she ran rough but started to smooth out. shut it down after a short time. Checked for leaks.. Good. 2 more starts and short runs that night, each time she ran a little better, good charging voltage, etc. Went in the house at 11:00 with the world a happy place!
Next day home from work, Fired her up and adjusted the idle speed and she would run with no choke, cooling fan kicked on and all systems were GO!
I went in and put on my jeans, back to the garage and grabbed my helmet to take her out for the first ride.
Then noticed she was overheating! cooling fan running but the coolant in the resivour was BOILING!
Quickly shut it down and let out a few choice words. Let her cool off overnight and read up on possible causes.
next night she came back apart and I found the water pump had seized at some point, this engine turned over by hand whaen I bought it so who knows how long ago it happened. Bad part is not only did it need a waterpump, but it sheared the end off the oil pump shaft that drives the water-pump!
So here we are, Engine has to come back out and rear cover removed to replace the oil pumps shaft. I got a replacement shaft that came with both oil pumps Friday off e-bay for $8.99 (YEAH) and am ready to order the new waterpump.
Looks like I will miss this riding season but she will definately be ready by next spring!!!

Here are some detailed pics of the carnage...
Inside of the front cover showing Waterpump drive broken

and the front oil pump with the end that drives the waterpump sheared off

Here is the oil pumps, shaft, sprocket and chain I recieved.

Best price I have found for a new water pump is $122. I finally have enough funds saved up for that along with o-rings, seals, and shipping. I guess I have my work cut out for me to get this done before it's too cold to work in the garage. I'd love to get at least one ride in before the snow starts flying!!!

hoosier daddy this is one of the best restro and updates that i have ever seen ......it shows the caricter of someone who is never looking for an excuse to fail ....there just isnt any parts in you for that crap .......reminds me of me so ican can see your drive as we operate in the same gear.....failure is a word that means nothing at all ......failure to me is just never getting started after that is no place for it .....

i cant wait to someday see you and your bike ......and knowing where it came from one can only :shock: at such an accomplisment :builder: :builder: :heat: :lazy: :builder: :builder: :headscratch: :builder: :doh: :lazy: :builder: :builder: :doh: :head bang: :laptop: :builder: :mrgreen:

Joedrum, your string of smiley's REALLY sums this project up... Too cool!
And both you guys, thanks for the pat on the back, it really is appreciated. when I found out about the water pump I was depressed about the build for a few days, looked at it crossed when I passed by it in the garage. But when I found the shaft I needed along with both oil pumps so cheap on E-bay I knew I can pull this off after all, really just a minor set-back in the long run.
Now that I have gone this far pulling the engine will be a piece of cake :smilie_happy:

I will put together some more detail on the polishing job and post it in the Tech forum.
Basically started out with 200 wet sanding to remove the heavy oxidation, then 600g wet to smooth things out, followed by green scotch brite and then I took the pieces to a couple of buddys shop for the use of their buffing wheel. I used Black Ebony then finished with a white tripoli (sp?) compounds. Finally each piece got a rub down with Mothers Mag polish before it got installed.

Thanks guys! I am really getting stoked again. I had a setback but am eager to get this finished.
Kind of surprised no one mentioned the one and only logo that's left on the side cover. All others have been filled in to keep the "uneductaed" guessing :razz:

That's an amazing build/resto story! I been there on my '74 Corvette....sometimes, ya just wanna give up. Props to ya for sticking with it, and the great finished product, especially the polish work! It sux that you gotta tear back into the engine....you seem to be taking that a LOT better than I would be! :sensored: :Awe: :swoon:
Great job on it, and THANKS for sharing the pics, and the history!! :clapping: :salute:

You guy's always seem to be the last to know... but in my defence I did send Dan a pic ;)
I was in the shop for several late nights, while I was waiting for the parts to finish, I threw a couple coats of paint on the shelter and side panels. Then once everything for the engine was here, I got it back together and installed. It was a little rough at first but with a couple of shake down rides later, I've gotten about 30 miles on her now, she is really starting to come to life. Just in time as it has turned colder here this week.

Here she is rolled out of the shop after the first few runs. Ready for that first ride.

And now with mirrors and decal, what I am calling complete... at least till spring that is.

A1 job scott ......this was not an easy build you had a lot of things crop up that most would have melted down over ......you have my highest level of tenasity and its going to hapeen no matter what award :eek:k: :good: :rocks: :shock: :mrgreen:

i have a set of those .....they were on a 1980 parts bike i got .....i have heard they are rare ....idont think honda had anything to do with them...i think there after market :mrgreen:

Thanks guys it sure has had it's highs and lows thats for sure!

dan filipi":2x845oue said:
Say those engine guards are different, which year are they from?

Uhm... well... Thats the difference in your knowledge base and mine, they are the ones that came with the bike, I figured they were OEM. :oops:

Guess maybe now I can finally get you a right side shot and have something worthy of joining the awesome scrolling photos up top.

I don't think they come from a stock 1100. 1100 bars are more straighter at the front, your's are like almost a 45 degree angle. I like that look!

A picture of the right side in this same setting would be great for the banner!

2802313730026369651S600x600Q85.jpg

After the invite for a right side, I just couldn't resist takin her up to the end of the road and back... Brrrr!
But I pulled back in and took another couple of shots, this and the previous are now in my album here.

Latest posts