The test mule getting a new power source :)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1100 big and small cover both fit on the 84 1200. I used the 84 big cover and the 83 cable operated small cover and swapped the 1200 output shaft with an old 1100 shaft I had.

I like the Pull, and feel of the hydraulic clutch, on my 86' GL12.

I have the matching Clutch master, from the 84' GL12 engine in my shop it was a Aspy bike.

I bought most all parts from that 84' GL12 Aspy, as PO had left the side stand down and had taken off the rubber snubber from the side stand, he removed it for cleaning adjustment.

Well he tried to make a left turn and got the rear wheel off the ground and weight of bike skewed, and that really skewed him up, next thing he knew according to him was he was in the ditch and headed for a Large Tree stump, that he avoided, just before hitting a smaller tree stump.

Note to self; adjust Side stand rubber snubber and test it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116390#p116390:243aqurp said:
ekvh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:56 am[/url]":243aqurp]
Clutch master could be from a variety of bikes. Mine is from a Magna. Joe's is from a Valkyrie. Cheaper used right now.

Yes Honda/nissin made quite a few clutch & Brake masters, on a lot of different bikes, that could be interchangeable, and that I think would work, for hyd. clutch.

The more i think about this the more i like it.

I have all the slave cyl. rebuild parts for the 84' GL12 engine. I just need to have a S.S. clutch line made up.

I dont mind at all my cable clutch, they are similar, the hydro, may be a little lighter be it is not much, it is just a different feel.

I read the post about the clutch, when i installed my new clutch plates the paperwork said to soak the clutch plates in a bucket of oil 2-5 days to soak up oil, before using them.

I would think they were just dry.

Maybe tywrap clutch lever compressed to grip while not riding so oil has a chance to seep in between clutch plates.

Steve83 suggested I tie the clutch lever back too.
I did for an night after a ride, haven't had a chance to test ride yet.
I'll tie it back for the night after each warm up if it seemed to improve.

Well I went for a short ride.
Takeoff noise seems less but I did run it for awhile checking some stuff so the engine was already hot.

I tied the lever back and running it at fast idle through a few fan cycles. Maybe :beg:
I'll leave it tied back tonight.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116536#p116536:am9x26aw said:
skiri251 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:53 am[/url]":am9x26aw]
Oh, you have brand-new clutch plates Dan?

I think he has a engine that had been stored for ? amount of time, that had not been a daily driver for ? amount of time.

20130825_000248.jpg

20140427_165128.jpg

00707_JpKzgYzZrU_600x450.jpeg

Hello Dan, long time no see!
I picked up an 82 Aspencade last week, PO got into painting it and then got way over his head putting it back together, its a full dresser with over 3 boxes of Markland gear, has the radios and the back end is loaded with layers of Peterson lights and a hitch, but the bike sat, tank has too much rust and from what I can tell from the engine is it may have a bad head gasket for starters, it runs but very bad.

The top image is an 84 1200 I picked up for $50 that was sombodies chopper project, its a running engine.
The 1100 I traded another bike for, the pics just do not show all the extras, seat backrest, covers with bars, floorboards, wings, its a beautiful bike but with a bad 1100, I am following your footsteps here buddy and will be doing the same here. I plan on entering the bike in the local custom bike show next year in Anchorage.

no 1100 have rear ignition too and cooler yet they interchange i discover when i gamble they would and bought to motor to do it before knowing ..this swap will hook righ up to 1100 wiring ... with just fuel pump..... driveshaft ....and front cover wiring to deal with

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117099#p117099:13aseogi said:
canuckxxxx » Wed May 07, 2014 12:12 pm[/url]":13aseogi]
But aren't the '84 1200s especially hard to put into an 1100 frame. The ignition thing at the back of the engine is a problem apparently.

Brian
From what I'm aware the 84 is the most direct fit into an 1100 frame.
I'm not sure which years other than 84 but the year engine with the bigger rear cover interferes with the frame some.

On my '85 fuel injected engine, the alternator is rated at 480 watts, I think. The bigger stator means the rear cover is around 1/2 inch deeper, but there's no ignition pulser, so it might still go into an 1100 or 1000 frame. I'll try it, one of these days...