The test mule getting a new power source :)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! It probably takes a bit of time for oil to saturate the clutch after it's been sitting for a long time. Maybe letting it run with the clutch dis-engaged for a bit will let oil flow between the disks and plates.

I've been getting loping and could tell that raw gas was building up causing some sputter on take off after idling for 30+ seconds which didn't happen with this manifold and carb on the 1100.
So I pulled the runners off leaving the manifold in place and found the ABS couplings were bulging in the center and the center of them had traces of liquid.

Yesterday I went an installed the old orange type 4 VW rubber couplings which I had running on the 1100 and idle is much better.
These couplings are are a bit short for how I intended the runners to mate up to the plenum but by 'cheating' them out a bit, they hook up fine with plenty of good surface area to clamp on both the plenum and runners.

So it seems the ABS plumbing couplings from Home Depot will soften and bulge in contact with gasoline.

Got the cruise control hooked up and a helper spring to tighten up the grip a bit:

[video]https://youtu.be/wm1rMpnwMdA[/video]

Like I said, my mods may not look pretty but they're functional.

Next up........I have to reroute the gas hose so it can't snag on anything, same with some wiring.

Yay! The E-cruise works!
Only did a couple mile stretch but it seems to be I got the pull length set pretty good because it kicks right in and holds a steady speed without 'hunting'.

Well everything is bundled up good and this weekend will be the first test running a tank out.
Looking forward to it!

Wow! I am liking that engine swap.

Very Nice Dan, Good Work!

Seems you had the same problems with your 83' GL11 that I had with mine, My engine must have been over heated by PO, as I had to clean out the cooling passages in the engine case, they were plugged with a thick crap in them, and my GL11 engine had a knocking sound too.

I am really close, to making a decision of swapping motors in my 83' GL11, to my spare 84' GL12 engine, as the GL11 in there seems like it had some problems in the past, engine was frozen when i got it, my GL11 leaks a little oil, my other GL12 does not, leak at all.

We could always use more torque.

Like the C5 on the front left of head.

All things considered it's a simple install.
Everything clears and bolts right in.
Mind you this is an 84 1200. Other year 1200 may not be as simple.

The only issue I ran into was the output shaft.
There is no spring clip groove in the 1200 shaft.
I tried Dremeling a groove in, got part way then realized I had another 1100 shaft in storage.
I could have used the shaft from the running 1100 but I wanted to keep it complete.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116380#p116380:3jn9cal4 said:
dan filipi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:29 am[/url]":3jn9cal4]
All things considered it's a simple install.
Everything clears and bolts right in.
Mind you this is an 84 1200. Other year 1200 may not be as simple.

The only issue I ran into was the output shaft.
There is no spring clip groove in the 1200 shaft.
I tried Dremeling a groove in, got part way then realized I had another 1100 shaft in storage.
I could have used the shaft from the running 1100 but I wanted to keep it complete.

So you removed the Output shaft, and rear engine case from the from the 83' GL11.

Then swapped those two parts to the 84' GL12 engine, and used the GL11 drive shaft.

Is that correct?

I have always, thought that many problems existed with my 83' GL11, since it was a frozen engine to start it was a engine that alway was speculative to me as to how long it would last, it always marked its territory, by leaking a few drops on the ground, even after sealing valve covers.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116382#p116382:3q26td38 said:
ekvh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:20 am[/url]":3q26td38]
I think it's just the shafts that got switched. The cases are different and don't match up.

The reason I thought the rear case was swapped was the cable pull clutch, on the 84' GL12 it is hydraulic with a Slave Cyl.

Dans looks like a cable pull clutch, like the 83' GL11 rear case would have.

I thought 84' GL12 was one year Oddball rear cover, that fit 83' GL11, thought I saw someone convert to hydraulic clutch on a GL11, and swapped rear cover.

But i could be wrong

Ok found the thread on the One Year 84' GL12 Rear cover being, basically a 83' GL11 rear cover modded by Honda for a Hydraulic slave cyl.

Link

https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... conversion

So with the GL12 into a GL11 frame conversion, you could have either a Hydraulic or cable pull clutch, depending which rear cover you choose to go with.

But you would need a Clutch master from a 84' GL12, and Hose, or S.S. Hose