The trouble with NASCAR

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randakk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Various
Is it just me, or has NASAR gotten really weird lately. Not to mention - the broadcasts are nearly unwatchable!

Attachments

• randakkpetty2.jpg
    randakkpetty2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 196
yes they have ....they have switched to gasahol ...fuel injection ...in car track bar adjustment...all in an effort to go as fast as the carbed cars of last yr. that were way more powerful ...seems the anouncer might do just fine to me AAA ....

Cookie cutter tracks were the beginning of the end for NASCAR: not enough short track racing any more. Since they have allowed a little more hands off when it comes to after-action altercations, maybe that might change things a bit. I go to the Fall Dover race every year, but this may be the last.

Oh and Joe, since they switch to fuel injection... the track got quitter.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151511#p151511:3r3xw50g said:
joedrum » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:26 am[/url]":3r3xw50g]
yes they have ....they have switched to gasahol ...fuel injection ...in car track bar adjustment...all in an effort to go as fast as the carbed cars of last yr. that were way more powerful ...seems the anouncer might do just fine to me AAA ....

I stand 100% by my statement. The broadcasts are unwatchable. No one can make me watch. Watching a race In person is not much better either. One of the least enjoyable days of my life was a recent race at Richmond. NASCAR has ruined their own product which used to be quite compelling.

Haven't followed NASCAR at all. My daughter loved watching when she was a teenager. Back quite a few years ago for her 13th birthday she wanted to go to Dover. It was exciting up until lap 2 when it rained! They cleared the track with those trucks with the driers on them for hours and finally they cancelled the race and rescheduled for during a weekday that we could not go.

She switched from NASCAR to helping rebuild and restore our Wing!! :clapping:

Like so many other things nascar has become rule filled and homogenized there virtually no difference between cars and no space at all for innovation. I'd rather watch a soap box derby lately. The last couple years have been the worst.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151526#p151526:3me9oq3h said:
slabghost » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am[/url]":3me9oq3h]
Like so many other things nascar has become rule filled and homogenized there virtually no difference between cars and no space at all for innovation. I'd rather watch a soap box derby lately. The last couple years have been the worst.

Agreed. I live in NASCAR country ...right down the road from the track they abandoned at Rockingham.

One of my bikes (supercharged GL1000) had some fab work by a guy who was employed at the time at Dale Earnhardt Enterprises.

I remember discussing one of Dale's ideas on how to "fix" NASCAR at the time: "combine unrestricted engines with much narrower tires." That would have rewarded drivers instead of crew chiefs and made the show much more interesting.

Yea I know what you mean, someone was broadcasting the old nascar races on television. Full races start to finish stuff from 72` 68`83` and so on..really enjoyed that much better.
Kinda think every sports and the world we live in has become that way, laws,rules restrictions have tightened up I feel squeezed just living life. It definitely isnt the same.

having rules so the big boys dont get steped on ruins the whole idea of racing through talent of skill in driving and racing set ups ...this has been going on since big money entered the scene ...but nascar on its own ..has made foolish moves against drivers and machanics intrest all along ...time to start over and not be a dictatorship type thing

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151533#p151533:1644ltp1 said:
joedrum » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:48 am[/url]":1644ltp1]
having rules so the big boys dont get steped on ruins the whole idea of racing through talent of skill in driving and racing set ups ...this has been going on since big money entered the scene ...but nascar on its own ..has made foolish moves against drivers and machanics intrest all along ...time to start over and not be a dictatorship type thing

Agreed.

People who drive in circles will never get anywhere.... :whistling:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151554#p151554:2zgfyyw7 said:
AApple » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:14 am[/url]":2zgfyyw7]
People who drive in circles will never get anywhere.... :whistling:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

"Cookie cutter" cars are supposed to make the competition more even, and put more emphasis on the driver's skills. What a load of hogwash. The whole POINT of RACING is to see who has the fastest machine. Driver skill is certainly a big part of that equation, no doubt. You can have a relatively inexperienced driver in a great car that will outrun a veteran racer in a lesser car, and versa-visa. This is the main reason most race sanctioning bodies make rules that penalize exceptional car designs. Consider the 1970 Superbird/Daytona cars....NASCAR outlawed them because no-one could beat them. What kind of sense does that make in the real world? Restrictor plates, weight limits, etc. all detract from the actual racing, imho. Run what ya brung, and lets have some dadgum FUN! It ain't no fun no more....that's why I pretty much just quit doing any kind of racing....just getting too damned expensive, and too many damned rules......
Nascar died with Davey Allison, imo. :whistling:

Even driver skill is muted now. Accidents on the track or in the pitts have more to do with the race outcome than drivers or cars and let's not forget the penalty crap. I agree lets go back to run what ya brung and have at it.

Couldnt stand davey,rip.too much of a whiner.the flag issue has turned me off nascar forever.damn shame

Usually when things change, those of us that liked it earlier don't. Without the flavor that Curtis Turner, Smokey Yunnick, and the likes of Richard Petty brought to that venue it lost it's interest to me, albeit slowly. Sitting with and listening to Ron Hornaday tell about being given a ride to Dale E's house for the first time, rearending and setting another car sideways going 90 on a backroad, then in the middle of that hearing Earnhart scream "gonna be fine, he's my cousin" gave me some hope that there really were still humans driving those things. That was over quickly too, though.

Latest posts